Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mugabe moves into cities to seize land owned by whites

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Diversity, itz!

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/africa/story.jsp?story=448354
By Basildon Peta, Southern Africa Correspondent
30 September 2003

President Robert Mugabe's government has launched a new wave of land seizures targeted at white-owned land in Zimbabwe's urban areas, in violation of his own controversial private property confiscation laws.

A government programme codenamed Operation Clean Sweep is reportedly underway despite statements by President Mugabe that his land seizures ended last year.

There has been no official confirmation of Operation Clean Sweep but an analysis of new lists of properties published in recent days by the state press show that vast swaths of land in or near urban areas have been earmarked for compulsory seizure. . .

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm, heres a little bit of balance. Lets not forget that Ian Smith's regime did some disgusting and inhumane things. Lets not forget that the Apartheid South African government did some disgusting and inhumane things in an attempt to detabilise Mugabe's Zimbabwe. Lets not forget the effects of IMF and World Bank policies, and the way that they were used against Mugabe.
    Today, the architects of the policy of destabilisation can look back with pride on a job well done. Pretoria's securocrats started the process which has made Zimbabwe so unstable that it is a threat to the whole of southern Africa.

None of this excuses what Mugabe has done to the economy, to democracy and to the people of his country. It doesn't justify the murder of thousands of Ndebeles; the dispossession of white farmers; or that the povo (the people) fight a daily battle for mere survival.

But nothing happens in isolation. Mugabe didn't wake up one day and shout: "I hate whites! Take their land away!"
    That is something that very few whites in Southern Africa want to hear these days.

Mired in their own self-absorption, they cannot conceive they did anything but right. They cannot conceive that evil lurks within their race as in any other. They perceive themselves as victims, but never as perpetrators.

http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=225&fArticleId=247422
  • Options
    The whys and wherefores are irrelevant- 300 years ago whites put blacks into slavery, it doesnt mean its OK if blacks were to do it to whites now.

But if you care to look at the horizon youll see a huge cavalcade of US soldiers off to free this oppressed people from a sick and dangerous dictatorship. He electrocutes peoples bollocks you know...

What do you mean theyre not there? Surely they want to save everyone, not just people who live on oilfields?
  • Options
    Hmmm, heres a little bit of balance. Lets not forget that Ian Smith's regime did some disgusting and inhumane things. Lets not forget that the Apartheid South African government did some disgusting and inhumane things in an attempt to detabilise Mugabe's Zimbabwe. [/i][/b]

Tell us the disgusting things the Apartheid government and Ian Smith's regime did in Southern Africa. Would this by any chance be the hideous creation of by far the wealthiest and most prosperous countries ever to arise in that region? Are the white farmers disgusting because they grew so much food they actually had to export their surpluses?

>>>Lets not forget the effects of IMF and World Bank policies, and the way that they were used against Mugabe.[/b

ROFL conspiracy?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich

Tell us the disgusting things the Apartheid government and Ian Smith's regime did in Southern Africa. Would this by any chance be the hideous creation of by far the wealthiest and most prosperous countries ever to arise in that region? Are the white farmers disgusting because they grew so much food they actually had to export their surpluses?

Hello, "tell us the disgusting the things the APARTHEID regime did in South Africa ......"

You appear to be too obtuse for it to be worth my while.

Some people value the dignity of humanity over the "effeciency" of economies. You apparently don't

>>>Lets not forget the effects of IMF and World Bank policies, and the way that they were used against Mugabe.

ROFL conspiracy? [/B]

No not at all. Standard practice I think you'll find.
  • Options
    >>>You appear to be too obtuse for it to be worth my while.

Its up to you to defend your positions from criticism.

>>>You apparently don't

Yes, thank goodness South Africa has been transformed into an impoverished miserable degraded hellhole where a woman is now raped every 26 seconds, a "rainbow nation" with one of the highest murder rates on earth.

>>>Some people value the dignity of humanity over the "effeciency" of economies.

I challenge you to show me the inate dignity of this worthless rabble that comprises the majority of your "humanity."

>>>No not at all. Standard practice I think you'll find.

Sounds more like a false generalization.
  • Options
    Its up to you to defend your positions from criticism.

Indeed, and if its you asking the questions, I really can't be arsed.

I have nothing but comtempt for the worldview that you espouse, and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual.

For example, I think Apartheid is a problem, you think it created an efficient economic system.

Nuff said.
  • Options
    >>>Indeed, and if its you asking the questions, I really can't be arsed.

Winar!

>>>I have nothing but comtempt for the worldview that you espouse, and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual.

I suppose we can agree on that. I have nothing but contempt for anyone who would destroy prosperous Western countries (Rhodesia & South Africa) in the name of absurd sentimental utopianism.

>>>For example, I think Apartheid is a problem, you think it created an efficient economic system. Nuff said.

I think Apartheid was a WILD SUCCESS compared to the MISERY and POVERTY of South Africa these days since its so-called "redemption," the barbarism of its outrageous levels of murder and rape we can thank the ANC savages for. Zimbabwe is an even more pitiful example of the absolute insanity of humanism and the ideological fallacies of the utopian anti-racists who destroyed that country and its people to enact their nonsensical theories. OMG racism, it is like so evil!! Like how can you judge someone by the colour of their skin! My response? Just look at the absolute disaster of Sub-Saharan Africa since the end of colonialism. Look at the Congo, where over 10 million people have died in the last ten something years. Compare today's Congo to the Congo that was left to Africans when colonialism ended. There is simply no comparison. Imperialism! How horrible indeed! Just look what Africans have done since they were left to attend to their own affairs.