Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eye liner

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to look a bit gothy and want to make my eyes a bit black with eye liner, any tips on how to do this?

Comments

• Options
    Firstly, you want to look gothy? Why? Wouldn't you rather look like, clean?

Secondly, I really hope you're name's only mislead me into thinking you're a guy.
  • Options
    First off i am a guy, and i wana looki gothy for a bit, my mates are punky and gothy and i dont wana look clean wana look a bit moody too. I have my reasons anyways. :)
  • Options
    get eyeliner. draw line under eye. smudge to desired effect.

although you didn't ask for my opinion, i will give it. if you're over 16 and male, you look stupid in eyeliner. if you're under 16 and male you also look stupid, but i'll let you off cause you don't know any better.
  • Options
    You wanna look gothy 'cause your mates do? Way-to undermine the whole goth 'mentality' there, dumbass.
  • Options
    :lol: what a freak, just doing things your mates are doing, ffs get a life
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    :lol: what a freak, just doing things your mates are doing, ffs get a life

Yes, because it's so much better being a ned :rolleyes:

But yeah, Goths are just a joke now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Yes, because it's so much better being a ned :rolleyes:

But yeah, Goths are just a joke now.
    Oi. I take offence to that. SOME goths are a joke yes. But don't generalise. We're not all depressive, eyeliner and black lipstick wearing reluses you know. :p
    Take that back Bri :p

Ilora x ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Oi. I take offence to that. SOME goths are a joke yes. But don't generalise. We're not all depressive, eyeliner and black lipstick wearing reluses you know. :p

What makes you a goth then?
  • Options
    coz im a ned...yeah :rolleyes: :yeees:
  • Options
    i think a little bit of eyeliner can really accentuate a mans eyes. Not neccesarily gothy but so people think youve got lovely eyes, but it doesnt occur that it is makeup. Maybe aq bit of brown eyeliner to look natural.
    If you want to look gothy though, go for it. who cares. Dont listen to keizo, he hates everyone except himself :lol:
  • Options
    hmm. no one seen brian molko?? now there's a man who suits his eyeliner *mmmmm* don't say that all men look stupid in it! i would say it only looks good with gothy clothes though - don't try it with normal ones :crazyeyes or you'll look like eddie izzard.

eyeliner's not hard to put on, pencil is easiest, just draw!
  • Options
    Thanks for everyons thoughts, when i want our thoughts on things i will ask ok? I didnt say i want to smear my face in black, just around my eyes to make thyem stand out a bit. I have many reasons, im punky and just want to stand out a little different, my mates are slightly gothy, not all black with white faces or anything, just punky gothy.

Im surprised anyone botheres asking questions here because people force their owns view on you. I did not ask for your view and i dont care about your view, so why bother putting your view across. I dont know you, and i dont like you, so why try and tell me what to do and say im vein. Im sorry if i wana change my style slightly, but i bet if a girl said she wanted to wear eye liner to make her stand out and look like avril no one would say a thing.

But thank you for the people who did offer the advice i asked for :)

Everyone else, keep your thoughts to yourself at times, not everyone is like you or likes the things you like, we are all individuals and can express ourselves in our own ways, we dont need everyone judging us because they dont like what we do.
  • Options
    if you don't want to hear people's opinions, don't post on a public message board.

simple.
  • Options
    Isn't 'Gothism' a way of life more then a way to look?

I personally enjoy life 100 times mroe then when I used to be depressed in middle school. People love my personality and people take an all-round shine to me because of my positive aura rather then people who often try to be depressed to fit into an almost social class.

Ignoring the fact I disagree to such band wagon type of thinking...I rather think of Gothism as mystical, dark and depressed. Almost seclusive and claustrophobic. Try to show this in the dress/make-up. Black is certainly a favourite for this. Probably the only way. Try not to look like a trannie tho for f**k's sake.... just maybe draw those dark rings around your eyes. Don't go OTT cus being honest...it jus looks wrong. If I was to recommend ANYTHING...it would be jet black hair for a strat but then that's cus I have nill cosmetics knowledge.

Or better still....piss a skin head off and you'll have 2 blac eyes. Now there's a way of showin inner-pain through cosmetic presentation!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    i think a little bit of eyeliner can really accentuate a mans eyes. Not neccesarily gothy but so people think youve got lovely eyes, but it doesnt occur that it is makeup. Maybe aq bit of brown eyeliner to look natural.
    If you want to look gothy though, go for it. who cares. Dont listen to keizo, he hates everyone except himself :lol:
    What she said.

There are some lovely looking guys who look great in a bit of well placed eyeliner. Matt Skiba for starters.... :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    if you don't want to hear people's opinions, don't post on a public message board.

simple.

The whole idea of this forum to help help people, not push your views on others. If you cant saying anything helpful then maybe your on the wrong forum and shouldnt post either.

Thanks to the other people who posted though and have helped me out though, very greatful.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    What she said.

There are some lovely looking guys who look great in a bit of well placed eyeliner. Matt Skiba for starters.... :)

fuck yea :D:D

i suggest using a soft pencil, they are much easier to smudge and get the look you want. but how do you pull off punk and goth at the same time. arent they two totally different lifestyles?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Matt Skiba for starters.... :)
    skiba is god.
    alkaline trio tonight!
  • Options
    how do you pull off punk and goth at the same time. arent they two totally different lifestyles?

sometimes people like "goth-type" music - ie metal etc, rather than just punk, hence the goth/punk thing. also cyber-goth clothing and the like is kind of punky... god, i saw a gorgeous cyber-goth jacket yesterday *lusts* but it was 49.99 :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    skiba is god.
    alkaline trio tonight!
    Erm, no he isn't :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    hmm. no one seen brian molko?? now there's a man who suits his eyeliner *mmmmm*

Ohhhh yes....

:heart:Brian Molko:heart:

If you want to use liquid eyeliner, it's easier to apply it with a thin sponge applicator is than with a brush, but I think you should go for a soft pencil - I use the MAC black kohl pencil which is really really good and about £10. Or if you want to work your way up, you could always start with a grey one so it's a bit more subtle.
  • Options
    Yup, I'd say use a grey pencil to begin with.
    Drawing smoky eyes takes practise, so try a grey/charcoal grey for starters.
    Once you've got used to using an eyeliner pencil, you might want to try a loose powder.
    I use Barry M's Dazzle Dust in shade 11 for a really smudgy/smoky effect.
    But, it DOES take practise!!! I usually sit at the computer desk with a magnified mirror, and every single brush, applicator and make-up set I have, just to experiment, to see what works and what doesn't. So, if you've got some free time on your hands, experiment, but just one word of advice; Don't Overdo It.
    There are too many young teens out there piling on the black eyeliner, without wondering if it even looks good. So, always ask someone for their input, before you put a foot out the door!!!

Good luck, Ilora x

Edited to say: If you need any more help, don't hesitate to PM me :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    You wanna look gothy 'cause your mates do? Way-to undermine the whole goth 'mentality' there, dumbass.

Agreed.
    And guys can look hot in make up. My bf does, and so does Glamboy, Brian Molko and Orlando Bloom.
    Heh. The other day I got told I wasn't goth because I didn't listen to 'gothic' music. He was a heavy metaller who liked Linkin Park and Busted. I giggled at him.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NeoNero2
    Thanks for everyons thoughts, when i want our thoughts on things i will ask ok?

No. I'll give you it anyway.

So shut the fuck up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    goth was never a mentality, its a fashion. Punk was about an attitude, goth is just clothes. I think it can look very beautiful, but its not about attitude.
  • Options
    goth was never a mentality, its a fashion. Punk was about an attitude, goth is just clothes. I think it can look very beautiful, but its not about attitude.

Um, no. There's a reason it's classed as a subculture. Ok, 'nu-goff' is a fashion but Gothic was a mentaily movement in the 80s...punks didn't like hwo the world was run and stuck a middle finger up in defiance, while the Goths seemd to just sit there, being gothic and making people uncomfortable.
  • Options

true goth (not the kids who hang around in town outside public buildings) is about everlasting love and beauty and stuff. the film 'the crow' was based roughly on it - about true love lasting forever.

goes back a long way - gothic architecture, etc, etc. hundreds of years ago.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    true goth (not the kids who hang around in town outside public buildings) is about everlasting love and beauty and stuff. the film 'the crow' was based roughly on it - about true love lasting forever.

goes back a long way - gothic architecture, etc, etc. hundreds of years ago.
    I agree, I wasnt talking about nu goth or whatever that is, I was talking about 80s/90s goths, im not saying I dont like it, just that its not about a particular attitude. the old romantic classic type gothic is different and beautiful. I dont think goths/nu goths 80s upwards is anythng other than a fashion. its not a way of life or anything.
  • Options
    I agree, I wasnt talking about nu goth or whatever that is, I was talking about 80s/90s goths, im not saying I dont like it, just that its not about a particular attitude. the old romantic classic type gothic is different and beautiful. I dont think goths/nu goths 80s upwards is anythng other than a fashion. its not a way of life or anything.

:yes: very well put, I think I'd agree with everything you said there.
  • Options
    :rolleyes:

He only asked a question. Okay, so i think the whole 'goth' thing looks crap, no offence but especially on blokes. But some of them comments were a little OTT.