Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

University Accomodation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I was just looking at Nottingham trent uni and was pretty shocked to see how expensive the accomodation is .. so want to do a bit of a price comparison here:

a) Which uni are you going to?

b) What kind of accomodation are you getting

c) How much is it per week and what bills or meals does it include? (If any)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I'm at Heriot-Watt in Edinburgh, and going back into halls for my final year. I'm staying in en-suite, self-catered halls, with all bills included. It is quite expensive - £62 a week (about £240 a month) but it's far more convenient for me to stay there than in a flat in town, and the rooms are lovely :)
  • Options
    hmm i live on edge of london, and going to uni in central london,UCL and im staying in self catering uni owned flats, and if they put someone in my double room with me its aobut £50/week and if they dont its £70/week

only an over the road walk to uni though :D
  • Options
    Wow - when I was at uni about 5/6 years ago in Milton Keynes I was paying £43 per week inc Electricity and we also had our own washer / dryer which got used virtually every single day without breaking down (Beko I think was the brand)

However the sods removed our room heaters after the first year and replaced then with some junk heaters that were totally useless but dead cheap for them to run.

Also the uni lied about things they said needed to be replaced at the end of the year like kitchen carpets (£200 for about 5 metres square) - cos we saw the same flat the following year and it was exactly the same.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Wow - when I was at uni about 5/6 years ago in Milton Keynes I was paying £43 per week inc Electricity

That sounds pretty similar to Salford at the moment.
  • Options
    Diamond, I have a mate who's house mate pulled out this year if your looking?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Adiss
    Diamond, I have a mate who's house mate pulled out this year if your looking?

Cheers BUT I'm nt even sure if I'm going to Uni - I'm think about doing a postgraduate course - feel like taking a break and becoming a student again - even if it's just a year and with the Jobs market so slow right now is a good time to look into a Masters or something .. An MBA sorta takes my fancy but the price of those is hefty!!
  • Options
    I'm at Lincoln uni and my accomodation for the first year in halls was roundabout £2400 from september to June. I did have an en suite bathroom tho but still thought it was steep. I'm in a house now and its £50 a week inc bills.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Re: University Accomodation

a) Which uni are you going to? Liverpool

b) What kind of accomodation are you getting Catered Halls, about 3 miles out of town.

c) How much is it per week and what bills or meals does it include? (If any) its alot- about £90 a week. But the Halls are modern and have datalinks in each room and a hand basin, with pretty good proper bathroom ratios. Lots of facilities etc, so i think it'll be worth it to ease my way into living alone. Though that said its going to be weird not cooking for myself, because i have done for the last year or two... But average prices for a room look to be about £40-£50 a week (ranging from £30 in rougher areas to about £70 in the centre) from what theyve sent me today.
  • Options
    I'm going to the University of East Anglia, and i'm staying in en-suite self catered halls, for which i'm paying £72.50 a week. That includes electricity etc, and there's a datalink in each room, blah blah.... They're the newest (and most expensive!) halls on campus, with the rest (all s-c, none en-suite) ranging between £45 (for a shared room) up to the amount i'm paying.
  • Options
    I'm moving into a self-catered flat at University Of Nottingham on Saturday. It's the cheapest accommodation the university does and it's £49 a week.

That includes bills etc (except phone bills) and insurance, but doesn't include food (obviously) and we don't have any laundry facilities in the flat.

I'm pretty happy with it, I thought it was quite a bit compared to other unis but from what others have been saying on here it sounds quite cheap!

I'm sharing a kitchen and a bathroom between three to six other people, but I won't know for definite till I get there. I don't have to share a bedroom though, and a lot of people seem to be paying the same price for a shared room as I am for a single room...! (not sure if they're catered though)
  • Options
    I'm going to the University of Bristol.

I am going to be living in catered* accomodation in a shared room.

It is going to cost me £2667 for one year.

Bearing in mind that that is a shared room, without so much as a washbasin in it, it's extremely steep!

*edited to add that the "catered" is only 2 meals a day and nothing at weekends so i still have to buy quite a lot of food on top of that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by xapis
    Bearing in mind that that is a shared room, without so much as a washbasin in it, it's extremely steep!

*edited to add that the "catered" is only 2 meals a day and nothing at weekends so i still have to buy quite a lot of food on top of that.

You don't even get a washbasin?? That's a bit harsh. How many people do you share the bathroom with?

The catered thing at my uni is a bit of a rip off too. They only get one meal a day, and pay an extra £20 a week on top of the self-catered people. Bearing in mind I only spend £20 a week on all my food, I think it's very unfair.
  • Options
    i was in halls last year at uni of gloucestershire.. it was £69 a week!! self catered en-suite.. we had a cleaner who cleaned the kitchen and hall ways mon- fri and our rooms once a fortnight! had the free internet access, internal phones.. only 3 years old! it was expensive but really nice!!

now im living in a shared house with my mates and its £50 a week bill snot included.. will save me quite a bit of money!
  • Options
    Nottingham uni seems quite reasonable then - catered is £90 a week (for a single room with a bathroom shared between about five) which includes three meals a day, seven days a week.

You can't get any money back for meals you miss which seems a bit restrictive, but they can give you a packed lunch instead.
  • Options
    At Cardiff University I paid about £70 a week for self catered halls, I shared bathroom with one other girl and was in a flat with 4 girls. Included bills.

Halls work out expensive. Last year I lived in a rented house in Birmingham which cost £40 a week, plus bills which was usually around £5 a week for electricity.
  • Options
    paying £83/week in warwick for self catered ensuite. Bloody expensive...
  • Options
    How much does living in a tent cost?

Because that's what I'll be doing when I go to uni in a week - I haven't got any accommodation yet. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    You don't even get a washbasin?? That's a bit harsh. How many people do you share the bathroom with?

The catered thing at my uni is a bit of a rip off too. They only get one meal a day, and pay an extra £20 a week on top of the self-catered people. Bearing in mind I only spend £20 a week on all my food, I think it's very unfair.

I don't know about bathrooms yet, not until I get there. I only know the on the price list there is "single room with washbasin", "single room without washbasin" or "double room".

I just worked it all out and because mine is only a 30 week let, I'm actually paying £90 a week to share!! Argh!
  • Options
    wow - some of you guys are paying a lot of dosh for accomodation - really surprised - would have thought up north you'd pay less - seriously surpised at some of the figures quoted.

I'm wondering with catered options - what kind of food do you get? And are you allowed to go back for second helpings if you're hungry?
  • Options
    Well, I'm paying £80 weekly for my living accomodations, but its the University of Hertfordshire De Haviland site - brand new (as in, I'm gonna be the first person ever to spend the year in my room :D), en suite, pretty spacious, Broadband internet connection in room, radio arial socket, fridge...

...only problem being no cars...

...but there is a gym right next to it :)
  • Options
    Just saw this on sale from Aldi fom next Thursday for £8.99 - pretty good for helping protect your student room.

mini_alarm.jpg

Remote Controlled Mini Alarm £8.99
    Provides protection to your home, garage or shed etc. With no complicated wiring or installation required, simply fit a battery and attach to surface. Features status LEDs, a built-in 110db extra loud siren with a duration of thirty seconds before re-arming itself and PIR sensor with a body heat detection area of 110º at a range of 10 metres. The alarm is armed and disarmed using the interference-free remote control, has an exit delay of sixty seconds and an entry delay of five seconds