Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dunno what to dooo...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I just had a rant in my LJ, I'll link to it so you can read it there rather than me retyping in here. But just to fill you all in..

I started 6th form college on Wednesday. I've taken AS's in English combined, Psychology, History and Russian (after taking a GCSE). There are 6 people in the class - 5 of whom were in my GCSE class. The other one is resitting his AS, and was in my brother's GCSE class - and hated him. So he doesn't much like me.

I was supposed to know both teachers, and one was meant to be the teacher I had for GCSE. Due to circumstances, she's not teaching the course now, which I'm disappointed about.

Oh yes - and I'm the only female in the class, which is turning out much worse than I thought.

So yeah, I'm not really enjoying it. I think that's enough of an introductory..thing.. if anything is unclear then I shall explain, here is my LJ rant.

Any advice is very welcome, because I just feel so crappy about the whole thing.

Sorry this is a bit disjointed and stuff..
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Well you know this anyway, but i think really you should ask about what your options are for courses you can change to and see if you like the idea of any of them. If you don't transfer, have a quick word with the teacher after the next class...
  • Options
    awww hunny *hugs*

you should only do A-Levels that you enjoy, and especially languages - I don't think you can do them unless you're enjoying it. I know exactly how much a pain in the ass Russian can be :)

You should really try talking to your tutor about it, ask for a quick word at the end of the class. Or if you can't do that, speak to someone else. Do you have a form tutor you could talk to?

I'm sure you can still change courses if you want to - it's the very beginning of the year, you won't have missed very much.

And, if you do decide to drop Russian, there's nothing to stop you taking it up again sometime in the future if you get the interest back again.

*more hugs*
  • Options
    Speak to your tutor and careers advisor about other courses you may want to switch to and find out if there is space available. Also talk through your worries with your Russian tutor and see what there advice is. Then you will be better placed to make a decision

Susie x
  • Options
    I started off doing chemistry (chemisery) and had to give up due to the exact same reasons as you, therefore after a while it had got to bad and i had to give up a third Alevel with it being too late to do anything else! :(

what ever you chose to do DO IT NOW before its too late :(
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.

Russian's got a bit better now, but I'm still finding the prospect of the exam at the end daunting - I want to learn it for learning a language, not for exams and qualifications.

I've spoken to the head of Sociology, who told me that, considering my GCSE grades, he'd make room for me on the course if I wanted to do it.

I'm still not sure which I'd rather do (Russian or Sociology), so I've decided to pick up Sociology, for the time being at least, and do 5 subjects until I can make a better choice (probably half term or something).

I know it'll be a lot of work, but I'd rather do that than make my choice now, when I'm unsure. I'll just wonder 'what if I did this, what if I'd done that'. And I very much doubt I'll keep the five for the full AS.

So yes... I think that is what I am going to do :)
  • Options
    That sounds like a good plan. Hope you don't overwork yourself though :)

Think you're doing the right thing though!