Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Will I get a place?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I did 6 AS levels last year but got really poor grades
(D D D D C E). One of these being general studies which not many uni's except. I calculated that I would get if I drop the subjects which I got a C and E in and did the rest through to A2 and achieve the same grades (retaking all subjects to be taken in A2 in january) I would have around 240 points. I just wanna know if I would be able to get offered a place in a university (studying marketing or business management) when writing my UCAS form...I am sooo worried. :-(
Can someone please help.

Thankyou.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Why did you do SIX AS levels?!?!?! :crazyeyes It's really not necessary.

Universities want to know that you are good at a few subjects and have real enthusiasm for them, rather than being able to gain lots of mediocre qualifications. If I were you, I'd carry on only 3 A Levels, so you can concentrate on those and gain much better grades.

I did only 3 A levels but got AAA which has won me a place at a great university. It's really not worth doing so many, because you dilute your grades.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree. You could get into Uni with those grades, but perhaps you ought to consider concentrating on 3 and resitting some modules in Jan. That's what I'm doing, I didn't get the grades I needed.

Also, http://www.UCAS.co.uk has lots of course info and links to uni web sites, so you can find average offers, etc.

Good luck! PM me if you need anything.
  • Options
    Like the others have said I would drop 2 if not 3 of the subjects as it is clear you are struggling. Far, far better to have a few good grades. Have a chat with your tutor and you careers advicor to work out the best ones to drop in regards to the uni course/ career you want and then go and speak to individual subject tutors about which modules to retake and how you can improve your grades over the next year.

I'd also ring the UCAS helpline for advice on your application considering your situation:

(0)870 1122211

Good Luck

Susie :)
  • Options
    Re: Will I get a place?
    Originally posted by get_up
    I did 6 AS levels last year but got really poor grades
    (D D D D C E). One of these being general studies which not many uni's except. I calculated that I would get if I drop the subjects which I got a C and E in and did the rest through to A2 and achieve the same grades (retaking all subjects to be taken in A2 in january) I would have around 240 points. I just wanna know if I would be able to get offered a place in a university (studying marketing or business management) when writing my UCAS form...I am sooo worried. :-(
    Can someone please help.

Thankyou.

Well i say forget the resits unless there's a particular University you have in mind that won't let you in with those grades.

A-Levels are the hardest exam you'll most likely do - a Degree course is way easier then A-Levels. And if you're good at course work rather then exams - even better. The biggest thing with a degree is proving you're a grown up and knuckle down and do the work when it needs to be done - instead of partying 24/7.

In the real world - once you get your Degree and have been at University for 3 or 4 years - no employer I've ever seen goes back and asks for your grades at A-Level.

Also now that you are paying fees to the universities I'm sure the colour of your money is attractive to the Universities as well.

You got better grades then I did at A-Level - I did badly at them not cos I didn't understand the subject - I was one of the best in my classes - but I didn't know the correct examination techniques that win points with the people marking the paper.

I went to University and did Business studies getting a 2:1 with Honours.

Unless you have a very specifc course or very specific uni that requires certain grades I say move on with your life ... why waste a year doing resits if you don't have to.
  • Options
    I agree, drop 2 or 3 subjects. General Studies at A2 is apparently a lot more work than at AS, where I didn't revise for the exam at all. So it's probably not worth doing it if you've got other subjects to worry about.

If you think you could cope, I think retaking the modules is a good idea. You could probably get one or two of your subjects up by one grade, depending how far off you were in the first place. That in turn would make it easier to get higher grades at A2. My boyfriend retook one of his Maths modules and went from a B to an A which meant it was much much easier for him to get an A at A2 level. Speak to your careers advisor about it and see if it's possible.

Diamond, it wouldn't be wasting a year - you do AS resits in January, and then do the A2 exams in the summer. I think it's worth it if you're worried about getting into Uni.
  • Options
    I did six AS-levels too.

I got 3As and 3Bs but had to work so unbelievably hard to get them! I then dropped two and ended up doing four A-levels (one being general studies). I worked much, much harder for my A-levels than my As-levels and came out with the same grades I got at AS - 3As and a B.

I would advise dropping a couple of subjects (if your school will let you) to take a maximum of four, but it does depend on the subjects you're doing.

If, for example, you're doing all sciences and two English's, you will end up with a lot of coursework within the space of a few weeks. You will then have three exams for each of the sciences on top of that, two more in English language and at least another two in English lit.

In the end, I only had ten exams. It may sound like a lot, but the majority of people in my year had at least twelve or more. I found that I was a lot more relaxed during the exams, as I knew that I didn't have that many to sit.

(edited because I can't spell...)
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone

Diamond, it wouldn't be wasting a year - you do AS resits in January, and then do the A2 exams in the summer. I think it's worth it if you're worried about getting into Uni.

It totally depends on what his goals are ... he hasn't exactly said a lot about himself - the university he wants to go to or the course he wants to do ... a note to all Newbie - the more information you give us - the better we can help you.

I was just giving my view after having done badly in my A-Levels and then done a degree rather then resits and gone on to get a good degree grade - which from my experience and that based on my friends - some of whom got 3rd's and one that only got a pass.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm just pointing ou that under the new A level system, you can re-take your AS levels in the same year as your A2 levels, which gives you firmer ground for your final A-level result. So it's not a case of do your resits OR do a degree. You can just do your resits in January before completing your A-levels in June. So it seems worth it to me, if you're not happy with your AS results the first time round.