Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Living "large" in Faliraki

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anybody else disgusted by the British louts who are gaining a great deal of infamy in the Spanish and Greek holiday resorts? Their behaviour is disgusting and they are besmirching the good name of the British Tourist. These people are out of control and need to be brought into line. It is a sad state of affairs when British police officers have to fly to these resorts to advise the local forces on how to deal with them.

Their conduct abroad is sickening. Do they not realise the very dire consequences of their actions? Nothing good can come from the excessive binge drinking and casual sex. All that will occur is that Brits will find themselves less and less welcome in more and more places around the World.

Equally disturbing is that some of these louts are as young as 13. Are the standards of parenting in the UK so poor that many parents will allow their children to go out and get drunk every night? How can parents be so careless about the well-being and safety of their children?

The worst thing is the utter pointlessness of the whole endeavour. If all you want to do is get drunk, try to have casual sex, and then spend all of the next day inside, nursing a hangover, why not stay at home. It’s just as easy to do all that in the UK, without the costs of travel. People claim that they go in search of the sun, yet by the time they’ve woken up, it’s already late afternoon.

Another worrying issue is that Brits as a whole are being tainted by this unsavoury behaviour. Where once Brits abroad were polite and often spoke the native language, nowadays they are seen as people who spend their time vomiting into gutters, and shouting at local people if they don’t understand English. It is absolutely disgusting and it must be stopped.

I blame TV programmes such as “Ibiza Uncovered” and “Greece Uncovered”. These programmes promote this reckless behaviour and encourage others to fly over and join in. I think they should be taken off of the air.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think its any worse than every Friday/Saturday night on every high street in every town in England.
    A friend's teenage son went there on holiday last year and said it wasn't at all like its reported in the media.

Don't believe the hype.
  • Options
    I agree media hype. While I can't say I agree with all the goings-on reported, I do think this is nothing new and a lot of British teens/twenties have always behaved like this on holiday. Have you seen the film Quadrophenia?

These things tend to happen in certain places I'm sure the Greeks meet plenty of other Brits to be able to work out that we are not all like this.
  • Options
    I personally enjoy watching these TV programmes that popularise these types of holidays, although I would never ever go on a holiday like that. They are usually full of common people. I also agree, they are an embarrassment to the British name, but at least we get rid of them for a couple of weeks. I think the content of the TV shows is a less exaggerated version of what happens here night after night. I suppose it should be up to people to choose there holidays if they are paying. People wont change, sadly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ilovebusted
    They are usually full of common people.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    :rolleyes:
    Habbits that is, not class :)
  • Options
    I'm surprised that these resorts are still letting the Brits in, I agree it's a real shame that it's often the wrong side of us that the Greeks/Spaniards see.

I also get annoyed with the type of tourist who pays to go to somewhere like Bulgaria, and then moans when they get served Bulgarian food in the hotel, or when the locals don't speak English. That really gets on my nerves!
  • Options
    Pick on Brits time again is it?

Generalise why dont you :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Pick on Brits time again is it?

Generalise why dont you :rolleyes:

He is British himself.

And he is right. Though usually such places are made for people like that, investing money in the bars and not in the culture.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    He is British himself.

oops :lol:

Its not just Brits its people from all over the world. When some young people want a good holiday what do they do? go to a nice country, plenty of bars and have some fun...........the problem arises when the people behind the bar can see people are legless and they continue to serve them people alcohol, which happens everywhere not just in Falaraki in my opinion.

Stop serving people when they are off their face and you solve the problem that arises when they are totally smashed. Can you see these bar places turning people away? nah line our pockets then complain when they have trouble :rolleyes:
  • Options
    nowt wrong at all with having a good time and getting blitzed!
    the thing i find worrying is that this seems to be the aim in life. the only way of enjoying yourself. six yr olds being treated for alcoholism and stuff.
    when i were a lad ...back in the black and white days ...you were expected to be able to down your drink and drugs and still be in a reasonable amount of control. if you got completely rat arsed you were considered not to be able to hold your drink and would find yourself on less and less invites. the philosophy today seems to be blotto! if you can't remember it ...it must have been a great time. doesn't make sense to me. is it any wonder that abortion and std's are rising so alarmingly.
    who said common? SNOB!
  • Options
    Yeah, but the resorts are quite happy to take our money. Weird that.

I assume you refer to that woman who took part in that strip thing, and was jailed for it- I notice the Greeks didnt jail the bar owner for organising it. Weird that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Yeah, but the resorts are quite happy to take our money. Weird that.

I assume you refer to that woman who took part in that strip thing, and was jailed for it- I notice the Greeks didnt jail the bar owner for organising it. Weird that.

She was encouraged to do it by the people running the event. I saw her on GMTV getting interviewed. On the interview you could see she was highly embarassed but when drinks in brains are out the window. She would never have done it without drink. I think if this was so bad to get carted off to jail for then the club owners should also have been in the next cell to her. How can they justify charging her when a bar in their country got girls up to strip, if stripping is not allowed in that country i'd have thought the club owners would know this :rolleyes:

edited to add I hope we are on about the case about 3 weeks ago or has there been another?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    She was encouraged to do it by the people running the event. I saw her on GMTV getting interviewed. On the interview you could see she was highly embarassed but when drinks in brains are out the window. She would never have done it without drink. I think if this was so bad to get carted off to jail for then the club owners should also have been in the next cell to her. How can they justify charging her when a bar in their country got girls up to strip, if stripping is not allowed in that country i'd have thought the club owners would know this :rolleyes:

Basically its because Greece is a dirty corrupt country ruled by dirty corrupt people. First they arrest plane-spotters, and only release them when they stump up a huge bail, noew they do it to this poor girl too.

Weird how the corrupt bastards let the bar owner off without a whisper, yet take £3000 of bail money off this naive idiot woman. The Greeks are awful people, corruption over there certainly isnt restricted to the ruling classes.
  • Options
    but at least we get rid of them for a couple of weeks
    Only to inflict them upon some other poor, unsuspecting country!
  • Options
    The first rule of visiting another country is respecting their customs and views. If the Greeks don't take nicely to women stripping off in bars, then they shouldn't do it.

Putting this incident aside, it is true that there is an ugly side to British tourism, and it seems much more evident and pronounced than tourists from other countries.

It is a damn shame as the British are by nature good travelers and respectful of other cultures. The '18-30' crowd has tainted everyone else.

My sister lives in Majorca and she and the other locals are less than impressed with the Magaluf lot. At least they're generally contained to that ugly resort so the rest of the island doesn't have to put up with them. Still, it's not just the drunkenness and vomiting that bothers them (and Becky, it is their fault that they get so hammered, not the bars' that at the end of the day are there to sell drinks). It's the lack of respect and/or interest for local culture and habits that also pisses off the natives. I mean, who in their right minds would go to Spain and have fish and chips or hotdogs for lunch every day when Spanish cuisine is amongst the very finest in the world? They might as well piss off to Blackpool where they'd be happier.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I mean, who in their right minds would go to Spain and have fish and chips or hotdogs for lunch every day when Spanish cuisine is amongst the very finest in the world? They might as well piss off to Blackpool where they'd be happier.

Me :lol:

But I do piss off to Blackpool because I love it there :D
  • Options
    *insert snobby comment about common people ruining other people's countries, doing what they could do at home, not eating the food as said before, whinging about the greeks, borderline racism and thinking its cool to not remember a thing and waking up next to 4 people of the same sex*
  • Options
    Its on TV right now. ITV tonight with Trevor McDonald :)
  • Options
    Put is this way, if the Germans acted the same over here, do you think we would accept it?
  • Options
    without British Tourism Greek Islands wouldn't have much money, if they wanted to tighten things up then they could have done it a long time ago, but they want the money, you can't have it both ways. P.S if you want a nice greek Island to go to then forget Faliraki- go to Zante, cleaner, friendlier less louts, lots of girls!
    It will probably end up like Faliraki in a few years though!
  • Options
    I been to Faliraki once last year and I wouldn't go backa gain... It's full of townies who after a couple of pints of Stella ar twat think their Gods gift to women... At least Ibiza isn't full of larger louts all summer.
  • Options
    Ibiza is better in some ways but then again instead of larger louts it's full of pill heads and San Antonio is dangerous and a dump.
  • Options
    But who in their right minds would want to hang about in San Antonio???

Even if you are staying there because is the only place you can afford, nothing stops anybody from spending time elsewhere. San Antonio is the pits of the world- the rest of the island is absolutely beautiful and mostly free of the '18-30' crowd. Quite why would anyone want to spend their evenings at the former is beyond me...
  • Options
    Im telling ya just come to Blackpool with me and we would have a ball :D
  • Options
    I went on an 18-30's thing to San Antonio and it was filthy and full of druggies, although I enjoyed a couple of the big clubs.
    I prefer a more chilled out, fun atmosphere and I think you can find that in a lot of greek resorts like Zante, their are basically no drugs whatsoever or fights, just people having a laugh.
    Faliraki is bad but not all of the Islands are the same.
  • Options
    But who in their right minds would want to hang about in San Antonio???

Even if you are staying there because is the only place you can afford, nothing stops anybody from spending time elsewhere. San Antonio is the pits of the world- the rest of the island is absolutely beautiful and mostly free of the '18-30' crowd. Quite why would anyone want to spend their evenings at the former is beyond me...

heh, I went to San Antonio with my family. We were staying on a catamaran in the harbour though, right in the middle so we had to get in a rubber dinghy to go to the shore. That was a wicked holiday :)
  • Options
    I prefer the more smaller clubs and bars in Ibiza as it's more of a better atmosphere and the small party's where most of the twats don't wanna go/know about on the other parts of the island.
  • Options
    i went to faliraki last yr and its not half as bad as it looks. on the tv programmes people just play up to the cameras, i actually thought it was really nic ethere!!!!
  • Options
    San Antonio is the pits of the world

errmm.. i must have gone to a different san antonio then coz i loved every minute of it!

i don't think i would ever venture to rag-a-muff or faliraki though, probably a lot more scallies there. and tbh ive heard some shitty stories about the greeks.

i love holidays like that though. yeh i can do it at home. but theres nothin like going on holiday with a group of mates, full of excitement. gorgeous weather, curing a hangover on the beach and then gettin pissed up with everyone in your hotel and generally having lots of fun! hell im young, its what i enjoy, as long as the tourist companies allow me to (and the country for that matter) i'll damn well continue to do it.

i saw that girl on kilroy (the one who took all her clothes off). i don't see how there's any need for that, or those 'how many sex positions can u do in a 2 minutes' *yawn*. But i do have to agree that the greeks are letting it happen. they shouldn't invite the business over if they can't handle the consequences.
  • Options
    The first rule of visiting another country is respecting their customs and views. If the Greeks don't take nicely to women stripping off in bars, then they shouldn't do it.

And the Greek bar owners shouldnt pay women to do it. The lass who was jailed did it in a bar-run COMPETITION, she didnt do it just to get ehr knockers out for the lads (and whether she would have done anyway is neither hither nor thither). Hard to say the locals arent repected when its the locals encouraging it, and profiting from it, isnt it?

Spanish cuisine is amongst the very finest in the world

It is? Paella and Gazpacho Soup- ooh yummy:yuck: