Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Business leaders dissatisfied with UK policies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3195351.stm

Obviously it could be said that Business leaders can have an important opinion on fiscal and economic opinion. But they are a special interest group with priority concerns for their profits and share-holders.

There are many people who feel uncomfortable at the unions influence on government policy.

Have either of these groups any right to meet with the PM and voice their demands?

Comments

• Options
    I don't know about everyone else but I don't want to go back to the 70's and have everyone striking, In the end it doesn't benefit the workers, union leaders are greedy and more interested in themselves than the workers that they are supposed to represent.
  • Options
    I understand your point but couldn't the same be said of business leaders. Look at the rows over company chairmen being awarded huge bonuses while their companies are failing.

Shoildn't policy-makers remain independant of such influence, in this country we already have a number of Economists based in our Universities and other such public bodies we can call on.
  • Options
    my understanding on the mechanisms of politics is limited (so correct me if I am wrong) but I thought anyone has the right to voice their concerns, either through their MP or through an organisation that has lobying powers and influence at a higher level.

dan you imply that union leaders are selfish, going for what they want, and not those they represent, but isn't that a trait of many people? many people only start to voice their objections when something effects them personally, and means that they won't be able to have/do what they think they should be able to do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab

Shoildn't policy-makers remain independant of such influence, in this country we already have a number of Economists based in our Universities and other such public bodies we can call on.

this sounds like a good idea, and on the part of the general public we should recognise that no policy is going to suit everyone, someone somewhere will have to compromise their standards or expectations.

Is it better to have something working for the good majority but to the detriment of others or to have something that does everyone some (but not as much) good?

I guess in reality it is the former
  • Options
    Your article is about fiscal policy, not why business pressure groups oppose the PM meeting with the unions.

Regarding fiscal policy, of course the government should rein in on spending. A higher deficit leads to greater debts (even though the UK's national debt is arguably the lowest of any G8 nation).

Also, the unions founded and still play a large part in the running of the Labour party, despite the creation of 'New Labour'. The party traditionally is funded by the unions, albeit in recent times they have sought finances from business groups and private individuals.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Your article is about fiscal policy, not why business pressure groups oppose the PM meeting with the unions.

Regarding fiscal policy, of course the government should rein in on spending. A higher deficit leads to greater debts (even though the UK's national debt is arguably the lowest of any G8 nation).

Also, the unions founded and still play a large part in the running of the Labour party, despite the creation of 'New Labour'. The party traditionally is funded by the unions, albeit in recent times they have sought finances from business groups and private individuals.

Ahem! I never mentioned anything about business pressure groups opposing the PM, why bring that up?

My question is, I repeat, have any of these groups the right to meet with the PM and voice their demands?

I do however recognize your third statement as a valid comment.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    my understanding on the mechanisms of politics is limited (so correct me if I am wrong) but I thought anyone has the right to voice their concerns, either through their MP or through an organisation that has lobying powers and influence at a higher level.

dan you imply that union leaders are selfish, going for what they want, and not those they represent, but isn't that a trait of many people? many people only start to voice their objections when something effects them personally, and means that they won't be able to have/do what they think they should be able to do.

I agree everyone has the right to voice their concerns but not every group has the opportunity to personally meet the PM to do so.