Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How To cook The Perfect Chicken?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, I normally hate chicken .. well the way it's cooked at home and in particular the way my sister cooks it - it's always tastes like it's been boled and simply put into a jar of cook in sauce.

Anyway was taken to this new Sri Lanken Resturaunt and the food was lovely - espacially the chicken - it literally would just fall off the bone when trying to life it with a fork and the flavour was all the way through the chicken not just on the surface.

So what I want to know is how do you

a) get the favour to be throug out the entire chicken - I guess you kinda of marinate it but there's got to be a way of doing it to drive the flavour all the way through

b) How do you get it to be so soft?

Comments

• Options
    I just love eating the skin tbh, so so delicious :yum:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Gavman
    I just love eating the skin tbh, so so delicious :yum:

The skin can taste nice if fried.
    I hate the way my sister cooks chicken though - she uses those cook in sauces and it never tastes very good.
  • Options
    Re: How To cook The Perfect Chicken?
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

a) get the favour to be throug out the entire chicken - I guess you kinda of marinate it but there's got to be a way of doing it to drive the flavour all the way through

Stuff under the skin, fill the hole with onion/other stuff...

b) How do you get it to be so soft?

Don't cook at too high a temperature, but do cook for long enough.
  • Options
    My Mum used to (and still does) cook chicken, and many other meats, in a crock pot (a sort of slow caserole cooker). It's cooked slowly, often for many many hours (6-8 hrs), and that makes the meat tender, and just fall appart. :yum:
    You can make sauces to put it in, or just add a little water to stop it drying out.
    Look it up online for some recepies.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Re: How To cook The Perfect Chicken?

b) How do you get it to be so soft? [/B]

By microwaving it first :)

I tend to bung chicken in the micro for 30 mins ish depending on the size of it then transfer it to the oven for 10 mins or so to brown off...........try it you will love it :D

If you want meat like beef to be real tender then if its roast beef wrap it in foil and cook for a long time on a low heat, I usually leave in the oven for about 4 hrs then take off the foil and save the juices for the gravy then give it 15/20 mins to brown off a bit.

If your doing like a beef casserole dice the beef and gently fry in a fring pan to seal all the flavour then stick it in a casserole dish with mushrooms, onions, carrots etc, cover with the lid and cook for about 3/4 hrs, the meatwill be very tender :)
  • Options
    Re: Re: How To cook The Perfect Chicken?
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    By microwaving it first :)

I tend to bung chicken in the micro for 30 mins ish depending on the size of it then transfer it to the oven for 10 mins or so to brown off...........try it you will love it :D

What a whole defrosted / fresh chicken for 30 minutes??

What about the flavour where does that come from?

The chicken we had at the resturant justwas so nice - I think wobbles crock pot thing might be the key. I'll have to look it up.

Is that 30 minutes at full power?
  • Options
    Diamond, one thing you could do to find out, appart from searching online for recipies, is to go into a supermarket, and read the cooking instructions on chickens (most supermarkets now have a label telling you how long, and methods, of cooking it).

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    There more to it then simply reading the instructions ... cooking is an art form ... and also a science ...

My friend has just put in an offer on a shop .. I'm trying to steer him away from his idea of selling Baby clothes to at least consider some kind of food outlet.... cos at the end of the day you always have to eat.

Eating this chicken just reminds me of what I've always known that if you have a good product people will keep coming back again and again.... although I'm only really asking the question cos I'd like to just know how it's done.

There's aplace called New York fries which I've mentioned before and their chips are really good, again wondering how they do it... Nandos chicken is really good too .. I'm sure there's some magic step or secret ingredient that makes all the difference in cooking various dishes.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: How To cook The Perfect Chicken?
    What a whole defrosted / fresh chicken for 30 minutes??

What about the flavour where does that come from?

The chicken we had at the resturant justwas so nice - I think wobbles crock pot thing might be the key. I'll have to look it up.

Is that 30 minutes at full power?

Depending on the size of the chicken yes about 30 mins ish, but then put it straight into the oven for however long you like depending on how brown you like it. To make a chicken crispy I score down the skin just a bit then add salt that makes it nice and tasty and crispy.
    Also you could try stuffing the chicken with stuff then the taste goes through. I buy a chinese mix thing which i buy from my butchers. I score the outside of the chicken and then cover it with the chinese sauce mix, leave it to soak in then cook.

Id think restaurants actually use the micro because lets face it if they cooked it in an oven it would dry out wouldnt it? If they had to micro a portion it wouldnt take long at all would it?

If you do micro a chicken make sure you score it, cook upside down for half the cooking time then turn it over and finish it off on the other side.

Im telling you try it and you will see the difference between micro chicken and oven chicken.............you will wish you had known earlier :D

Let me know how you get on :D