Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What Are Some of The Best Compliments You Can Pay A Person?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So in everyday life or even when you're out on the pull what's the best compliments you give (or have been paid??)

I always think a true compliment is one paid to something the person had a choice in making.

For example - you could tell someone you have lovely blue eyes, but they didn't really have much say in that - they were just born that way.

But compliments such as your hair looks nice tonight - are better cos a person has some say in how they decided to wear it, style it, colour it, etc?? And therefore you're not only compliment their hair but their personal taste and style.

What do you guys and gals think?

ae3-11-2002.gif

Comments

• Options
    The ones you don't expect, at times when frankly it wasnt quiet or something and it isnt to start a conversation.
  • Options
    You're so beautiful, I would love to kill you, stuff you and hang you above my fireplace so I can stare at you for hours.
  • Options
    The nicest thing anyone ever said to me was when one of my teachers, for whom I have a huge amount of respect, told me that I'm the nicest person he's had in the band. :o

So... yeah, that's it. But for a compliment to be nice it has to be genuine. This random guy once came up to me in the street started telling me I'm "beautiful" (whatever!) and he'd love to hear my play my piccolo and stuff, but we'd only just met and they were blatantly cheesy chat-up lines, so I was just amused by that! :lol:

Picc.
    xxx
  • Options
    when you're walking past a guy in a bar and he says 'wow you're stunning/beautiful/gorgeous' etc...that always makes me smile :):)

i hate 'compliments' from builders, its so embarrasing when you're being stared and shouted at in broad daylight. or when a guy whistles and expects you to come running -i'm not a dog!!

i'm not sure what the nicest one would be, maybe something you've acheived. like art work you did at school or when you did something good in drama.
  • Options
    One that you don't have to make, or it's not expected. Like, I was arguing with my friend the other day and I said that she was too nice to lose. Hey we made back up :D (i think, she sent me a txt message saying "Mwah! Love ya! xxx"

That was nice :)

Anyway yea I think when you compliment someone when there is no need to. I tend to overdo the "you're beautiful" ones so now it doesn't really sink in with my girlfriend unless I grab her and go all serious like you know?
  • Options
    sometimes when me and ben are laying down facing each other, he'll stroke my hair and say something like 'you are so incredibly gorgeous' and it makes me smile and feel all warm inside:)
  • Options
    I once told a girl i didnt really know "Do you have ANY idea how much you look like Claire Forlani?!" I think that went down well...?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by secretsmiler
    I once told a girl i didnt really know "Do you have ANY idea how much you look like Claire Forlani?!" I think that went down well...?!

My friend's sister looks like Claire Forlani - although I didn't know who that was until I just looked up her name on google.

actually if you compliment my friend's family then her always seems pleased with that.
  • Options
    I'm not very good at taking compliments :(

They're usually ones directed at my body, and they piss me off 'cause I really ain't that confident about my body.

When I'm drunk, I can't take them at all. I just end up getting pissed off with men in general. This lad told me how pretty I was last night...yeh, whatever mate. Crawl back into that hole that you came from....:mad: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    hey you sound much fatter on the phone!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    i hate 'compliments' from builders, its so embarrasing when you're being stared and shouted at in broad daylight. or when a guy whistles and expects you to come running -i'm not a dog!!

I know :mad: I hate it, and there are constantly builders near our house, there was once I was walking the dog and I just suddenly heard 'NICE ARSE' I felt like shouting at em 'Yeh, great for a 14 year old ain't it!?' that would have made them shut the fuck up!

The best compliments are the ones where you know they mean it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    I was walking the dog and I just suddenly heard 'NICE ARSE' I felt like shouting at em 'Yeh, great for a 14 year old ain't it!?' that would have made them shut the fuck up!

Oh you shoudl so have shouted that bacl at them - might have given them 2nd thoughts about shouting it again.... I rememebr once walking with a girl I worked with into the centre of town during our lunch hour and these gus in a car slowed down to whistle at her, etc - I realised at that moment how totally scary something like that can be... if she's been on her own espacially.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Oh you shoudl so have shouted that bacl at them - might have given them 2nd thoughts about shouting it again.... I rememebr once walking with a girl I worked with into the centre of town during our lunch hour and these gus in a car slowed down to whistle at her, etc - I realised at that moment how totally scary something like that can be... if she's been on her own espacially.

I know. Once I was walking home from school and this group of girls (you know the type of girls who smoke hang around miss lessons etc the 'bad bunch' heh) well they started shouting at me and I ignored them then they started saying I was fit and something about my arse and that one of their friends wants to 'shag' me. Anyway I was nervous :nervous: and just kept ignoring them but like I was still nervous for a long while after that I mean it was a very unpleasant experience. p.s I know the girls were taking the piss.. :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    I know :mad: I hate it, and there are constantly builders near our house, there was once I was walking the dog and I just suddenly heard 'NICE ARSE' I felt like shouting at em 'Yeh, great for a 14 year old ain't it!?' that would have made them shut the fuck up!

Try builders in the college you work at, so whether walking with your boss (who once replied, why would she want to ride your motorbike? when you've a face like that (60 year old woman was that)) or a student, you just want to crawl up and die or randomly swear back.....neither of which is deemed appropriate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kat
    Try builders in the college you work at, so whether walking with your boss (who once replied, why would she want to ride your motorbike? when you've a face like that (60 year old woman was that)) or a student, you just want to crawl up and die or randomly swear back.....neither of which is deemed appropriate.

sorry but ive got to say it..

lmao :lol:
  • Options
    oooh
    'you're gorgeous' in a gruff whisper before they go to kiss you :)

i like compliments simple and to the point.
    over-eleaborate ones seem so....put on
    and lines are so false.
  • Options
    one of my friends once told me that something i'd written touched him so much he cried.

it means more to me when people compliment things i've done rather than just who i am.
  • Options
    Still think one of the best compliments you can give to women s about their hair!

Especially on a night out where they change it a bit becuase you just know they spent ages getting ready!And they love when theyr'e complimented- both on female friends and strangers!

Doesnt sound to pervy when you start of like that either!