Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

God Parents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone here have God Parents?

And if so what's the relationship like - are you extra close to the, do they do stuff with you?

is it only Christians that have God Prents?

I met some women (friend of the family) who claims her brother is my God Parent ... first I've heard of it .. and seeing as I'm not Christian (although my Dad is) ... don't know how it's even possible. .... anyway if it is true I'd be pretty mad cos I ain't got a clue who this guy is - wouldn't know him if I ran him over .... which if it is true I wouldn't mind doing!!!

Comments

• Options
    My god parents are all family anyway - aunties and uncles. I'm god mother to my cousins daughter, and I suppose I do look out for her a little bit more than the others.
  • Options
    My Godparents and I are very close; they always had a very good relationship with my parents, and when my dad died, I went to live with them for a couple of weeks, because my mum thought the atmosphere would be too intense at home (e.g. lots of relatives wailing etc) for a baby, and they've always been there to help. Even though I'm not a religious person, I still consider them as Godparents, and they've been nothing but a positive influence on my life, and I'm very lucky to have them.
  • Options
    I have godparents. My parents are both Christians although not very strict, but it was still part of their beliefs that I should be christened and given (given? right way to say it?) godparents.

I see them every few months - they're friends of my parents and one of them's my aunt - and they give me birthday presents and occasionally write to ask how I'm doing. I wouldn't say they really bother with helping to bring me up though, or spiritual guidance. Not that they'd have had much success with the spiritual bit, I'm a bit of a hopeless case there.
  • Options
    I have God Parents they were my parents best friends at the time. I don't even know the name of my God father, he was just one of my dad's best mates. My God mother was my mum's best friend and she actually is religious and she sent me birthday cards and the odd present but I hardly ever saw her what with her living in Yorkshire and us living in London. So I do have Godparents but I hardly see them. Doesn't especially bother me, my Christening was really a sort of "meet the baby" party which is what we do in our family, we're not religious at all really.
  • Options
    my godparents are my auntie and uncle (one from each side of the family). i wouldn't say i was especially close to either of them. at least not more than the rest of my family.

and i am my nephew's godmother :D

yes, only christians have godparents, cause only christians get christened.
  • Options
    Yes I have God Parents, again friends of my parents. We are very close, they have a daughter who I used to babysit all the time when she was younger. We used to go out and do stuff together too, as families. My auntie is also a godmother to me and my brother and there was an agreement that if anything had happened to my parents while me and my brother were young, my auntie would have looked after us.
  • Options
    I have godparents - one godfather and two godmothers. My godfather is my uncle, my dad's brother, so I see him at usual family gatherings but have no contact with him at any other time. One of my godmother's is my mum's best mate from school who she sees about once a month, but I haven't seen for years, and the other is an old friend (something like the wife of my mum's first husband's best mate!) of my mum's who also introduced my mum and dad (she was also my dad and his first wife's neighbour... all very confusing!), and again, I havent seen her in years, and neither has my mum.

My parents actually asked my aunty and uncle (my dad's sister) to become our guardians should they die before we were 18 (which we both are now) and if our grandparents weren't able to look after us. They thought this aunty and uncle would be able to give us better guidance in life, as they have their own children (about 15-20 years older than us) and have run their own business (hence good with money), whereas my actually godfather is a bit reckless - though they didn't know that when they asked him, just after I was born!
  • Options
    heh, don't think I've seen mine since my christening :eek2:
  • Options
    I'm going to be (at some stage) God father to my friends little girl. On top of that. I'm also second next of kin on her passport. I don't think the kids dad knows, but he has only just come back into her life. Looking forward to it when it eventually happens.