Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

topshop.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what has happened to the once amazing topshop?

the only thing i even like in there anymore are the plain jersey '2 for a tenner' tops. even the shoes are ugly as hell.

i went into the leeds topshop yesterday. it's pretty big. and i didn't find ONE thing i liked.

there was one bag i thought was quite cute, but it was so badly made that i put it back.

what is wrong, topshop? how can we make it better?

Comments

• Options
    I have to agree. I could once go into topshop and find 10 pairs of jeans I liked, and now I cant find one.
  • Options
    Same here in denmark, though it's not that big at all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Same here in denmark, though it's not that big at all.

do you have the same horrid 80s style crap in denmark?

all the t-shirt dresses and batwing sleeves and yellow/turquoise leather?

it's fucking horrible, imo.

it didn't look good in the 80s and it doesn't look good now.
  • Options
    Haven't been in there for two or three months as I can't find anything there. And the guy working there is frightening me.
  • Options
    It's boring as hell.
    All they ever have is rails and rails of the same bloody 'moto' jeans month after month, that no, don't suit everyone, black trousers, the same 'basics' in the same sizes in the same styles along with 2 big fashion 'fads.'
    Most of this stuff will be identikit and blatatly recogniseable as a styled piece of clothing from topshop.

Anything else has zips, tassels and dodgy prints exactly where you don't want zips tassels and dogdy prints. On the clothing.
  • Options
    :yes: It's got really awful in there lately! Miss Selfridges isn't much better either :yuck:
  • Options
    I only go in Topshop for the 2 for 1 top offers now, and occasionally the 3 for £7 knickers :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    I only go in Topshop for the 2 for 1 top offers now, and occasionally the 3 for £7 knickers :)

yeah, you're right.

topshop pants still own.
  • Options
    Yeah I went into an ickle Topshop here the other day and I was like wtf has happened to fashion? Aboslutely fucking awful! I couldn't even find a plain t-shirt I liked in Topshop...

Nowhere seems to have nice stuff - it's all this retro 80s shite that come is horrible colours. Electric blue, fuschia and white?! No, no, no.

All I bought were plain t-shirts from H&M. H&M is still ok.
  • Options
    Hmm...yeh, not really too[/t] keen on the style of it atm. Theres one top i like in there at the moment though, nothing special, but its quite cool. I want some earrings from there too but they didnt have them when i went in the other day :/

Hopefully it'll pick up a bit soon
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    All I bought were plain t-shirts from H&M. H&M is still ok.

Yes, I like H&M. :) Others dont like it coz there sizing is fucked which I can so agree with but I just make sure I try things on before buying it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    Yes, I like H&M. :) Others dont like it coz there sizing is fucked which I can so agree with but I just make sure I try things on before buying it.

What do you mean by fucked sizing?
  • Options

i actually dont like H&M. i feel like its a huge jumble sale, u have to rummage through the racks to find anything, and then, they rarely have more than three copies of the garment. grr
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperdoll
    i actually dont like H&M. i feel like its a huge jumble sale, u have to rummage through the racks to find anything, and then, they rarely have more than three copies of the garment. grr

Our H&M is ever so tidy now the sales are over. They seem to have some of the retro fashion, but they've also got plain essentials and tops in the colours I like! yay. I also love their jeans.

The sizes are ok too....unless it's the numbers(like 36 etc), but I think I have them worked out.
  • Options
    I also love their jeans.

I really want a pair of their 'extreme' flared jeans now that they've got shorter lengths but they don't have them in smaller waist sizes so they don't fit :( All their other trouers are too long for me.
    Their t shirts are good value but the neckline always creases and bunches, no matter how much I iron the fuckers. And they lose their shape easily. Well, too easily for my slapdash 'shove everything in and hope for the best' methods.
    I agree that they should tidy up a bit - a lot of the time you're just not in the mood or have the time to spend raking through everything to find something half decent.
  • Options
    Yup... Topshop's shitty... but I knew that before the 80's crap came in! mwahaha :p
    I must admit, about 2 yrs ago, topshop was pretty good.. selling nice stuff, with personality, not just mass produced 80's bollocks!
    Miss Selfride used to be good too, but now (I think) they're part of the same company as Topshop, they're going downhill too.
    H&M I used to LOVE! At one point my whole wardrobe was Hennes! But now, as Paperdoll said, it's like a huge jumble sale. It's all brown, beige, cheesecloth and cheap polyester. :rolleyes:
    I want the good shops back!!!!!

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Smash
    I really want a pair of their 'extreme' flared jeans now that they've got shorter lengths but they don't have them in smaller waist sizes so they don't fit :( All their other trouers are too long for me.

I had a pair of the light denim extreme flares, wore them every day for almost a year. They're a bit out of shape and toooo ripped at the bottom now. They were too long...

...So I got a pair of dark denim extreme flares - which aren't actually that flared, but they're not long so they won't soak up too much water when it rains. They're also stretchy, the light ones weren't. But they look ok.

You have to dig around to find the sizes. I quite like how they have quite a variety of lengths and waist sizes. What waist size are you? I saw some 26s, but I think that was the smallest they had.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    What do you mean by fucked sizing?

Well, I take a 14 in newlook and stuff but a 12 in there. And the same with my sister, She takes a 12 but a 10 in there. I just find there sizes a bit bigger then anywhere else.

Does anyone else find this? not just with these two shops but any other shops?
  • Options
    Well, I take a 14 in newlook and stuff but a 12 in there. And the same with my sister, She takes a 12 but a 10 in there. I just find there sizes a bit bigger then anywhere else.

Yep. Depends on the actual top too. It's annoying sometimes as you have to try on loads of different sizes in some shops.

For trousers I'm usually a 10 or a 12. But for tops - it varies. From Miss Selfridge most of my tops are size 6, which is just wrong!
  • Options
    ok im not just saying this because i've recently got myself a new job in topshop - but i actually like the 80's retro look. not all this manufactured h&mtrousers/topshopflaurescent t's + toni&guy essentials haircut with self-done piece dyes... but i like the potential of the stuff they have. like i could take a nice top from topshop, with a funky design on it, very retro and probably in a really bright colour or something, i can buy one of their cheap bows, and pin it on with a funky little badge from their accessories range, and wrap a nice b&w striped bandanna round my neck and look sophistacted with some smart trousers and flat shoes on, with a bit of inspiring make-up art and one really long earing in my right ear, and a diamond stud in my left ear. and yes, it sounds a bit 'way out', but it works, and people look... and the reaction's good. and i got the job and the hairdressers like my hair and the beauty students ask about my make-up products so i cant be going completely wrong.

I dont like the 'everybody' style, the style you just buy straight off the shelf from topshop. i like to be able to buy the style i love (which happens to be the 'everybody' style) and put myself into by cutting it, sticking it, pinning it, dying it etc etc. mix and match and create your own look. if you're just buying stuff straight off the shelf you're never going to have you're own look. you'll always look like the girl who was in the que behind you, oh, and the one who was in front of you too.
  • Options

im a six in tops at miss selfridge and an 8 in tops at topshop and a 10 in hennes, same with skirts/trousers, its weird
  • Options
    TopShop is and always will be crap. They like to think their "hip" but they so aint, theres only so many pieces of neon clothing you can actually wear at once.

However i do rate their thongs. Tres value for money.
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing

I dont like the 'everybody' style, the style you just buy straight off the shelf from topshop. i like to be able to buy the style i love (which happens to be the 'everybody' style) and put myself into by cutting it, sticking it, pinning it, dying it etc etc. mix and match and create your own look. if you're just buying stuff straight off the shelf you're never going to have you're own look. you'll always look like the girl who was in the que behind you, oh, and the one who was in front of you too.

No-one looks individual anymore - everyone fits one of the "groups". And, alas, the more people try to look different - the more they look the same.

People have their own styles, I believe it's called personality.
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    im a six in tops at miss selfridge and an 8 in tops at topshop and a 10 in hennes, same with skirts/trousers, its weird

:yes:

i have clothes from sizes 6 - 12 all of which fit.

i have a few pairs of size 14 trousers, but they are way way too big. i wear them though. with a sturdy enough belt.

and the 80s retro look mings. i don't care if it's 'individual' (anything you can buy in topshop is NOT indivdual, btw) it mings. pure and simple. you might think you look good but everyone else is laughing at you. apart from the other 80s retro people. they think you look cool. but everyone's laughing at them too.

and for whoever said no one is individual: i know what your getting at, and you're kind of right, but no one else has a lot of my home made clothes, although they are inspired by other people. so i'm kinda original. i'd like to think.
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperdoll

Yep I agree, I hate it in there!

As for sizing, River Island and Oasis I can't by any clothes in- they start at size 8 but it's so not an 8, more like a 10. I'm a 6-8 depending on the shop, so have to stear clear of R.I, Oasis, H&M, Warehouse...
  • Options
    I'm glad other people think the 80s look sucks! Neon clothing, ankle warmers and off the shoulder tops do, as Kaffrin put it, simply ming.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Yup... Topshop's shitty... but I knew that before the 80's crap came in! mwahaha :p
    I must admit, about 2 yrs ago, topshop was pretty good.. selling nice stuff, with personality, not just mass produced 80's bollocks!
    Miss Selfride used to be good too, but now (I think) they're part of the same company as Topshop, they're going downhill too.
    H&M I used to LOVE! At one point my whole wardrobe was Hennes! But now, as Paperdoll said, it's like a huge jumble sale. It's all brown, beige, cheesecloth and cheap polyester. :rolleyes:
    I want the good shops back!!!!!

Ilora x

Topshop, Miss S, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, Prinicples and a fuck load of other shops are all owned by the same company. So you can kinda guarntee that if one shop is following the 80s trend that is in fashion now, they all will. or the majority of them will; they'll just cater the clothes to their specific target audience. TS and Miss S are practically the same shop anyways. I worked in both and i still get confused as to which shop was which.

we dont' have h&m. :( spend so much dosh in there whne i go across the water.
  • Options
    I used to love my moto jeans :rolleyes: :mad:

They're just the plain ones...but now I don't think that they flatter me. However, I've got 2 pairs of the cropped ones (1 of which are rather yummy :yes: and they fit me reallllllly well. If only they did them in the normal leg length :confused: )

I have about 5-6 pairs of jeans from topshop, only wear one of them really as my arse doesn't fill the rest but oh well :crazyeyes

I have a topshop store card...it's...it's evil :no: :impissed: :eek2:
  • Options
    I have NEVER liked topshop or miss selfridge, and I still dont. H and M is a jumble sale, but I get good stuff there evry now and then. Dorothy Perkins I get my work uniform from, their basic black trousers can be nice.
  • Options
    Yep. Depends on the actual top too. It's annoying sometimes as you have to try on loads of different sizes in some shops.

For trousers I'm usually a 10 or a 12. But for tops - it varies. From Miss Selfridge most of my tops are size 6, which is just wrong!

Yeah I get it with tops as well. I suppose H&M is alright if you are willing to try things on.