Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cancerous Moles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My whole family has alot of moles. my brother that is 25 got moles taken off his head, but they had to shave his head to get them off. my dad has been really worried about the moles on my head. They are on the back of my head.

So i went with my dad to the dermatologist to look at my moles. He said that he has seen alot of moles like mine that have turned out cancerous. eek! :( i have 3 moles that he wants to remove. they are pretty big and 2 of them have a dark ring around the outside of them and the other one is just black.

i have an appointment on 26 of august to get them all removed. (which is 1 day after school starts for me) im really scared to get them off because he showed me the needle he will use to numb my head and ITS HUGE!! :eek: he said that if i dont get them taken off, they could turn worse in the future. I am having alot of doubts about getting them off. I am very afraid fo needles, I cant have a bold spot in my hair, my new school prohibits hats or scarfs of any kind, even if your taking chemo-therapy and are bald, im very terrified about having holes in my head and scared about the pain.

Ive fought with my mom about having them removed and I really want to post-pone getting them off. Should I wait? or get it done? I dont want to get them off but at the same time, if i wait, and come to find out my moles are cancerous and the cancer has moved, ill be screwed... what to do??:confused::(

Comments

• Options
    no need to be worried, just vigilent (sp) have them removed before they turn cancerous, most dont and just because they turn cancerous doesnt mean you will get cancer, but its better to be safe than sorry. So you can chill hun :D
  • Options
    i have a mole on the back of my neck that i want removed but ive been to see the doctor a few times about it and they said they wont do it on the nhs, and ill have to wait till im older or summat which is stupid im 20 i know i want it removed!?
    i worry about it a lot seein as i luv sun bathin and dont wanna end up with skin cancer?
    my older bruv had a small mole on the side of his nose that he was really self conscious about and they removed his?

i'd also be worried about the needle to jordyn :nervous:
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    just because they turn cancerous doesnt mean you will get cancer

um... yes it does. hence 'turning cancerous'.

i have loads of moles too, and i was really worried about this one on my leg, cause it turned purple, and i showed my doctor, and he said it looked a bit funny and arranged for me to have it removed.

i was nervous as hell, but the only bit that hurt was the little sting as he injected my leg with the anaesthetic. after that i felt nothing. even when the anasthetic wore off.

they tested it, and it turned out to be benign, but i still think it was worth removing, if only for my own piece of mind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    um... yes it does. hence 'turning cancerous'.

uh......blah blah blah.....it doesnt mean it has to turn into full blown cancer.....cancerous means it can turn into cancer.

Anyway, Jordyn, hope everyting turns out ok :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    uh......blah blah blah.....it doesnt mean it has to turn into full blown cancer.....cancerous means it can turn into cancer.

"cancerous

adj : affected with cancer; "cancerous growth" "

:|
  • Options
    Hey,

Ive had one removed from the back of my head too.

Yeah its nerve racking, but not really that bad. I admit the needle does hurt a little when it goes in, but you wont see them putting it in.

When they are removing it, you dont feel any pain, but it does feel strange while they stitch it up.

If you ask them, they shouldn't remove alot of hair, just a small enough amount to remove it, they didn't cut any of my hair when I had it done, and if they do it'll be small enough to cover up by changing your hair style a wee bit.

It'll be sore for a couple of days after, and you can't wash your hair (however much you may wish too) on the same day.

Its not that bad when its over, and you'll feel better about it in the long run, when you know for sure there aren't cancer. Im having another one of on my back for that very reason.

Dont worry yourself too much about it, it'll be over in no time!:)

lol, I go on dont I?:rolleyes: