Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

UK tenth in terror list

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3159749.stm

A risk assessment has identified the UK as the 10th most likely nation to suffer from terrorist attacks.

This is one reason why seeking to help the US in Iraq was a bad idea.

Comments

• Options
    I'm suprised they are 10th..would have thougt they would have been higher up in the list...saying they support America all the way on their war on terror.
  • Options
    America has many allies in the war against terror.

But our support in the recent Iraq war and our 'special relationship' with the US puts as at risk.
  • Options
    Perhaps the list reflects how likely it is terrorists will succeed in carrying out an attack.

Nations like Colombia, Israel or Pakistan are higher up the list because of the relative success of terrorists in striking these countries.

If we were to talk about a wish-list, however, I would imagine it'd look a bit more like this:

1. U.S.
    2. U.K.
    3. Israel
    4. Australia
    5. Spain

... and so on.
  • Options
    Why Spain, if I may ask?
  • Options
    And it includes internal terrorism.

I'm disappointed, only 10th! Terrorism is a constant threat to every country, a list like this only incites unnecessary fear....unless you live in Colombia or Israel.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Why Spain, if I may ask?

The Spanish PM offered some of the strongest support for the invasion of Iraq.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Why Spain, if I may ask?

Spain and Bulgaria supported Britain and USA in the run up to the war in Iraq.

Bulgaria did so, I think, because they wanted Britain's support in gaining entry into the EU. I'm not sure why Spain supported them though, maybe opportunism.
  • Options
    Undoubtedly the bribe was one that Aznar couldnt refuse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    The Spanish PM offered some of the strongest support for the invasion of Iraq.

Thought of that option, but there are so many other countries with so much more potential than Spain when it comes to this, if adapting the mind of a terrorist.
  • Options
    Spain is at present a member of the UNSC and the neo-Conservatives new best friend and Franco admirer Jose Maria Aznar used that position to instigate endless votes and proposals in favour of the war. After Britain Spain has been the biggest supporter of an US attack on Iraq. Aznar was the co-author of that infamous pathetic letter circulated around Europe in which he, Blair and a load of EU-hopeful nations' presidents offered their support to a war and dismissed the views of so-called Old Europe.

The Spanish government has been very busy arresting and jailing people of Muslim origin under accusations of being part of Al Qaida (a bit like the British and its new anti-terrorism laws). At some point there were more than 50 people in custody. As far as I know not a single person has been charged with anything and in fact not many remain in custody at all.

The Arab/Muslim presence in Spain is big, and so is its history and heritage. Some Muslims still regard Al Andalus (Andalucia) as part of the kingdom of Islam and a terrorist attack against Spanish interests (or the Spanish government) would be very significant in the Muslim world.
  • Options
    I admit I haven't read the report (i suffer from laziness), bso sorry if the report is specific to one particular terrorist group, but aren't we frgetting that Spain (to use an already given example) is quite regularly being hit by a terrorist group, namely ETA.Maybe its because of goups like this that the UK is so low down the list.

Personally, I can't think why the US is so high. I'd have put them about 14th...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mindless all the way
    Personally, I can't think why the US is so high. I'd have put them about 14th...

Because I guess a lot of countries see them as a threat?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

The Arab/Muslim presence in Spain is big, and so is its history and heritage. Some Muslims still regard Al Andalus (Andalucia) as part of the kingdom of Islam and a terrorist attack against Spanish interests (or the Spanish government) would be very significant in the Muslim world.

I dont think that Spain has a very large Muslim population. The Spanish are very anti-Islamic, which may have something to do with the ocupation by the Moors for 800 years. In fcat they are nearly as Anti-Islamic as us Brits ;)
  • Options
    I can remember when British cities were being bombed on a regular basis by the IRA back in the 1970's and 1980's. Back then though America didn't come to our aid offering us help with a war on terror, they left us to it. Even after the massive IRA bombs in the city of London, London docklands and Manchester City centre in the mid ninties which were on a similar scale to September 11th, America still offered us no help in combating terrorism.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rockwell
    I can remember when British cities were being bombed on a regular basis by the IRA back in the 1970's and 1980's. Back then though America didn't come to our aid offering us help with a war on terror, they left us to it. Even after the massive IRA bombs in the city of London, London docklands and Manchester City centre in the mid ninties which were on a similar scale to September 11th, America still offered us no help in combating terrorism.

That would be because the Americans were too busy bankrolling the IRA to care about the loss of life and damage to Britain. Another example of the "special relationship".