Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Speech Impediments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been speaking to one of the clients in our office who had a really bad stammer. He was having difficulty with every third or forth word. Very frustrating for him but also frustrating for me as I knew what he was gonna say but didn't want to say it for him.

Do any of thesite users (or friends/family) have a speech impediment (lisp, stammer, etc...) and how does it affect their life.

Do they feel that people are more sympathetic towards them?
Or do they feel that they are discrimenated against?

Comments

• Options
    I couldn't say Parrellelogram. But now I can. Hoorah!

Sorry, mr. man..felt relevant..:|
  • Options
    One friend of mine used to talk very, very softly that you could hardly hear him

When I'm tired my voice is the first thing to be affected!!
  • Options
    yes :blush:

Sometimes I can't speak, especially round people I'm meeting for the first time. Over the phone I'm ok I gues. But when meeting people I just can't speak, I can't get the words out of my mouth. It's very embarrising :blush: and then it can get upsetting :(
  • Options
    My new lady has a slight lisp but it doesn't affect her, or her job in anyway.

At the call centre I work for, we once hired an agent with a stutter! Talk about embarrassing for us when the client called and complained - we didn't even know he had one! :blush:
  • Options
    im slightly short tongued, so im fine with normal words but with long collections of S's i fuck up :( i dont say "th" instead of it but its usually more softer sounding and stuff, like "fish and chips twice pleece". meh.

oh yeah and apparently when i say "Freak" it comes out as "Fweek" :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blackout
    oh yeah and apparently when i say "Freak" it comes out as "Fweek" :/

To me that sounds really cute.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster

Bless his ickle black cotton socks ;)

You could of course develop a speech impediment to win the sympathy vote in a popular TV talent contest.

But let's not go there :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    You could of course develop a speech impediment to win the sympathy vote in a popular TV talent contest.

And then to really get everyone on your side "come-out" even though it was blatently obvious to everyone and his dog that you was gay anyway. :rolleyes:
  • Options

to me it sounds like "Freak"

ive started a regime of strangulation followed by "THERE WAS AN R IN THERE" whenever someone picks up on it :)
  • Options
    And then to really get everyone on your side "come-out" even though it was blatently obvious to everyone and his dog that you was gay anyway. :rolleyes:

Aint it great being cynical :thumb:
  • Options
    I stutter slightly but not much.

My uncle has a lisp really bad.

My dads friend also has a stutter like the person you were chatting to, it sometimes hard tp understand and it takes ages for him to say stuff.
  • Options
    Re: Speech Impediments
    I have been speaking to one of the clients in our office who had a really bad stammer. He was having difficulty with every third or forth word. Very frustrating for him but also frustrating for me as I knew what he was gonna say but didn't want to say it for him.

Do any of thesite users (or friends/family) have a speech impediment (lisp, stammer, etc...) and how does it affect their life.

Do they feel that people are more sympathetic towards them?
    Or do they feel that they are discrimenated against?

This should tell you a bit more :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    yes :blush:

Sometimes I can't speak, especially round people I'm meeting for the first time. Over the phone I'm ok I gues. But when meeting people I just can't speak, I can't get the words out of my mouth. It's very embarrising :blush: and then it can get upsetting :(
    i'm exactly the same
  • Options
    Re: Re: Speech Impediments
    Originally posted by spanner
    This should tell you a bit more :)

Thanks Spanner. Interesting especially

When someone stammers:

It's easy to feel awkward or embarrassed, just avoid the temptation to fill in the words that appear to be causing the problem. Someone with a stammer hasn't forgotten what to say, they just need the space to express themselves.
  • Options
    I've had a bad lisp for my whole life. i couldnt even say yellow when i was little, i still remember they day i first said it properlly, now it is still bad i cant say

c
    ch
    s
    sh
    st
    th
    p
    ph

and a lot more

some people are sypathetic and some are right ignorant bastards about it, the hardest thing is i hate talking in front of large audiences because of it or spking in a croad. most the time people take the piss and only a few are sypathetic
  • Options
    I've had to speak to a couple of really bad stammerers on the phone at work. I've got to admit, it was so bad that I thought that to begin with it was just people taking the piss (we get crank calls every now and then). I felt embarassed when I actually told one I couldn't understand him at one point, and he said he had a stammering problem. :blush:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    My best mate has a speech impediment and it makes me week at the knees!! I absolutely love it.
    The way he says heaowge (huge) and achtually (actually) makes me quiver... it's so sexy... I love it :love:

Ilora x