Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why do I always feel so tired? :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm sat here now, feeling as if I haven't slept in a week. This is partly down to the heat at the moment. But I always feel tired. I can never go to sleep, I only sleep for a few hours at a time, and can't get back to sleep.
I couldn't sleep last night, had to nap later on this afternoon, and just feel shattered. You'd expect I would sleep well tonight, but it'll probably be the same again.
Has anybody else had bad sleeping patterns, and/or always felt tired - even when I do manage a decent night's sleep?

I'm just getting fed up of erratic sleeping. :(

Mr_Wobble ;)

Comments

• Options
    Get ya arse on IRC :p
  • Options
    i'd go to the doctors, really.

you might have some sort of sleep disorder, or they might be able to tell you how to have a good nights sleep.
  • Options
    Go to the gym or the swimming pool. One hours exercise always makes me sleep like a baby.
  • Options
    Could be anything....fatigue, stress, MS, narcolepsy (sp?). Go see the doc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Young and sexy
    Get ya arse on IRC :p
    Well, if you insist. :)
  • Options
    Are you on medication of any sort?
  • Options
    Kaffrin. I've already decided that I will go to the doctor about it. An ex suggested that last year, but I didn't. But I'm feeling so fed up of it at the moment that I am going to go and see the doc. It's just that I'll feel silly saying "I'm tired" Like, what can they do??? :confused:

BlackArab. Yep, excercise does make me feel tired too. But the problem is that I only sleep for a few hours, and then I'm wide awake and can't get back to sleep. :(

BristolMike. I know stress can make me worse. When I work (regular shift, or overtime), I don't usually sleep very well the night before.
    As for narcolapsy. I've wondered about that ever since seeing it mentioned in a TV programme sometime last year. I apparently snore like a bulldozer, and can be heard throughout the house. So maybe there is something in that?

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Are you on medication of any sort?
    Nope. Never have been. Always felt like this. :(
  • Options
    I have sleeping problems too.

It takes me ages to fall to sleep and I often wake up. It's stress-related.

I would try going to bed and getting up at the same times. Try and get some form of exercise during the day and try relaxation techniques before bed like a hot milky drink, reading, a warm bath with essential oils such as lavender or geranium which promote sleep or meditation. These can help.

Are you under any stress at the moment? Because not only does it cause sleeping problems but can effect the quality of your sleep. If so, try some herbal alternatives. I used kalms which are ok. Go to a health shop and ask someone. If these don't work go to the doctors - just talking to them may help. They may put you on sleeping pills - these are always just for short-term use and always use them as a last resort because otherwise you can become reliant. I was on them over my exams but I found them to be ineffective. :(

It's hopefully just short-term due to the heat, but if you're feeling so tired and drained I would go to the doctors.

Hope you get some decent shut-eye. :)
  • Options
    mr wobble ...you are exerting what little energy you do have in the wrong manner. you need to do something physical everyday ...this will build up your energy reserves. you will feel more positive. you will sleep better.
    it's getting like a surgery this place lately ...

and to much wanking uses up your vital energy!
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    I have sleeping problems too.

It takes me ages to fall to sleep and I often wake up. It's stress-related.

It's hopefully just short-term due to the heat, but if you're feeling so tired and drained I would go to the doctors.

Hope you get some decent shut-eye. :)
    I've always been like this though. With or without stress. Stress makes it worse though. :( So it's not just the heat. The heat just makes it worse too. :(

The plan for tonight is to have a couple of strong rum & cokes before bed to knock me out, and hopefully that'll meke me sleep well. No, I'm not daft enough to do taht all the time and rely on it.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I've always been like this though. With or without stress. Stress makes it worse though. :( So it's not just the heat. The heat just makes it worse too. :(

The plan for tonight is to have a couple of strong rum & cokes before bed to knock me out, and hopefully that'll meke me sleep well. No, I'm not daft enough to do taht all the time and rely on it.

Mr_Wobble ;)

Coke contains Caffeine??

sounds like you need to do as already suggested and do some physical work each day or go for a jog at night
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    mr wobble ...you are exerting what little energy you do have in the wrong manner. you need to do something physical everyday ...this will build up your energy reserves. you will feel more positive. you will sleep better.
    it's getting like a surgery this place lately ...

and to much wanking uses up your vital energy!
    lol Hmmm, well, I've always had this energy/sleeping problem, and masturbated for as long a I can remember. Hmmm, is there a link? :chin: :)

But seriously, I've always had this problem. And I have been very active in the past - working a regular day, then doing excersise, going to bed early, but still not sleeping properly and still feeling tired. :(

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    :( you could always trying answering your PMs :(
  • Options
    Re: Why do I always feel so tired? :(

Has anybody else had bad sleeping patterns, and/or always felt tired - even when I do manage a decent night's sleep?

Mr_Wobble ;)
    #

For the past few years I have always felt tired, especially when I go into the chemistry labs :eek2:

One of my teachers thing I am aneamic.
  • Options
    If you are going to sleep easy enough of an evening but then waking up early and not getting back to sleep you want to talk to doctor.
    I was speaking to one recently about my sleep problems and he mentioned that waking early is one of the major signs that you might have a depression related problem.

It has a lot to do with your REM sleep, most of which you get in the early hours of the morning, this is the time when you get your most restful sleep and it is also when your mind sorts out issues from the previous day.
    I've heard research recently that they think this lack of REM sleep could be one of the major reasons for minor depression.

Your doctor will be able to help you, if fact he/she may give you a script for an anti-depressant, however dont jump to conclusions, these are given to help people sleep and it doesnt mean that you'll be on them for ever or that your depressed as such.

Trust me, I heard this from a Harvard Medical School graduate.
  • Options
    Re: Why do I always feel so tired? :(
    I'm sat here now, feeling as if I haven't slept in a week. This is partly down to the heat at the moment. But I always feel tired. I can never go to sleep, I only sleep for a few hours at a time, and can't get back to sleep.
    I couldn't sleep last night, had to nap later on this afternoon, and just feel shattered. You'd expect I would sleep well tonight, but it'll probably be the same again.

I'm just getting fed up of erratic sleeping. :(

Mr_Wobble ;)

Check this
    ;)
  • Options
    I had exactly the same thing as this a few years ago. I had some sort of mild form of M.E. They thought it was leukeamia, but turned out i had an extremely low white blood cell count, which meant that I was permanently exhausted. There's not much they can do about it, just give you adcie like cutting out the caffein, and making sure you get a good nights sleep, and eat well etc. But it could be something else, you may have anemia or something. I should go and get a blood test if i were you. Let us know how you get on :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    I had exactly the same thing as this a few years ago. I had some sort of mild form of M.E.

Ditto, only mine wasn't as mild - i was in bed for 6 months as i didn't have the energy to move, but i wasn't sleeping and my sleep patterns were all messed up.

It's definately worth going to the doctor about, because this can be caused by so many things.

Even before i got M.E, i had the worlds worst sleeping patterns, like you - i don't sleep much at night, i'm tired all day and i usually have to have a nap in the afternoon to keep me going. A routine, as suggested, is the best thing you can do, and i've found that it really helps for me, but be warned - if you have a late one ONE night, it can mess up the entire routine and you'll spend another two weeks trying to get back into it. Ho hum.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    It's definately worth going to the doctor about, because this can be caused by so many things.

A routine, as suggested, is the best thing you can do, and i've found that it really helps for me, but be warned - if you have a late one ONE night, it can mess up the entire routine and you'll spend another two weeks trying to get back into it. Ho hum.
    Yep. I find that just one late night can screw up my sleeping patterns again. But then my usual sleeping pattern is to sleep for 2-4 hrs, wake up, lie there for another two or three hours, then drift off for another couple of hours, and so on. :(

Anyway. Today (well, Friday to be precise) I went to the doctors and booked an appointment for Wednesday. The only thing I'm worried about is that they'll just, more or less, tell me that there's nothing wrong, and that I just need to go to bed early or something - which doesn't work because I just lie there for hours waiting to sleep, getting uncomfortable, and stressed out about it.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    if ya dont mind me asking, where do ya work and what do you do, reason being ive just done a years work in a lab at an oil refinery and the atmosphere was always full of solvents and at the end of the day always felt listless and proper knackered
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nastroman
    if ya dont mind me asking, where do ya work and what do you do
    I work on the weekends in a customer services centre for a high street retailer (no, not saying who - I don't want all you buggers ringing up!), but changes in the company policy mean that we get an endless stream of calls from angry customers. It's not so much of a customer services dept any more, more of a customer complaints dept, which is a different thing all together. Plus the amount of stupid paperwork they make us do, combined with awful computer systems, etc, make the job stressful.
    I'm just an "operator" which means I mainly answer the phone. It feels like a game of Russian Roulette when answering the phone - ie is this going to be another ranting, abusive, loony. :(
    I've also been doing a lot of extra hours at the moment, which is even worse during the week. It leaves me well and truly stressed out by the end of each day. That doesn't help. Especially when I know I've got work the next day. :(
    So, I've got an appointment with the doc on Wednesday, and I'll ask him/her about my sleeping problems (which is a life long problem I've had), and about stress.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I work on the weekends in a customer services centre for a high street retailer (no, not saying who - I don't want all you buggers ringing up!), but changes in the company policy mean that we get an endless stream of calls from angry customers. It's not so much of a customer services dept any more, more of a customer complaints dept, which is a different thing all together. Plus the amount of stupid paperwork they make us do, combined with awful computer systems, etc, make the job stressful.
    I'm just an "operator" which means I mainly answer the phone. It feels like a game of Russian Roulette when answering the phone - ie is this going to be another ranting, abusive, loony. :(
    I've also been doing a lot of extra hours at the moment, which is even worse during the week. It leaves me well and truly stressed out by the end of each day. That doesn't help. Especially when I know I've got work the next day. :(
    So, I've got an appointment with the doc on Wednesday, and I'll ask him/her about my sleeping problems (which is a life long problem I've had), and about stress.

Mr_Wobble ;)

Good luck, let us know how it goes :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShInE
    Good luck, let us know how it goes :)
    Well, it was a quick consultation, and I was given a prescription for a few mild sleeping pills (gonna have to look them up to find out more about them). Got to take them for five nights in a row, and then as I need them. Hopefully that'll give me a better sleeping pattern. I'm going to start taking them on Friday as I'm out tomorrow night until late.
    Hopefully they'll not only help me go to sleep, but stay asleep. It's like two problems for the price of one to solve.
    Ooo, at least I was able to chat with one sexy pharmacist when picking up the perscription. :D

Mr_Wobble ;)