Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I don't want to go to college tomorrow

FordRangerFordRanger Posts: 1,303 Wise Owl
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have induction tomorrow for college after finding one. I just feel so behind and like a failure going back in my 20s. I have seen people go back a lot older or similar ages but they have jobs and stuff. It's the same college as I used to go too and I didnt like it then. Now I'm just going back, I just feel like I have failed so had to go back to square one. I feel slightly down about life right now and just feel rock bottom atm.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,015 Community Veteran
    Hey @FordRanger I hear that you are feeling anxious about your induction for college and that you feel like you are behind others in the college. I totally get how you are feeling right now as I was one of the oldest on my course recently and it does sometimes feel kind of scary when you are the only oldest one there. However, I can reassure that it's totally okay to feel nervous about your first day because after all it is the first day. I think sometimes our brains try to trick us into thinking about things going badly when in fact they can turn out to be okay. You have definitely not failed at all because you are still trying even after what happened too I understand how you are feeling. When I started college straight after lockdown I had two people on my course who were older than me and they wanted a career change. I can say that most people do sometimes go back to college to study and that there is nothing wrong about that too. I'm always here if you need someone to talk to <3.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Katie12Katie12 Posts: 243 Trailblazer
    hey @FordRanger i can imagine it is very overwhelming going back if you didn't like it before but you definitely haven't failed! even the thought of going back shows that you haven't given up and is a very brave thing to do! Good luck for tomorrow, hope it goes well :)
  • Options
    edited February 18
    Thanks for the replies and hugs everyone, I thought I wasn't going to get any. Also @Katie12 I can post an update tomorrow on how it went if you want?
    Post edited by FordRanger on
  • Options
    amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 124 The Mix Convert
    Hey @FordRanger just checking in to see how your induction went? :3
  • Options
    Katie12Katie12 Posts: 243 Trailblazer
    FordRanger wrote: »
    Hi @amy02 it went ok thanks, I was a bit nervous but it went fine in the end, just hoping it continues decent and is helpful.

That is really great to hear!
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    It's good to hear that you have gone back to college and that the induction went well. It sounds like you are feeling a bit ashamed of your circumstances- having gone back to college after being unable to get a job. I know that it might feel like a step back or even that you have gone back to square one but I wanted to share something that an old counsellor of mine told me- we never fully go back to square one. We are always learning, even if we make mistakes, we learn from them. So while 'failures' might make us feel that we are going backwards, we never fully go back to square one.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Maisy wrote: »
    It's good to hear that you have gone back to college and that the induction went well. It sounds like you are feeling a bit ashamed of your circumstances- having gone back to college after being unable to get a job. I know that it might feel like a step back or even that you have gone back to square one but I wanted to share something that an old counsellor of mine told me- we never fully go back to square one. We are always learning, even if we make mistakes, we learn from them. So while 'failures' might make us feel that we are going backwards, we never fully go back to square one.

@Maisy true, also going to college is better than doing nothing even though its not all everyday, it's going to help me get into a job as well so it's moving me forward. We are always learning too.
  • Options
    PetiteQuarkPetiteQuark Posts: 47 Boards Initiate
    Hi!
    I understand how you feel, im a bit younger than you though. I remember during august last year,i saw my gcse results, and they weren't good enough for the course I wanted to study, most colleges i applied to pressured me to give up on my ambitions, but now im retaking my gcses. I felt really upset back then, however, i think, had I listened to the teachers at those colleges and actually did gave up, i'd be working through a course i dont like for 2 years at least, and later on working a job i dread for the next 50 or so years, and thats worse than retaking exams.
    Going back to college doesn't make you a failure, it makes you persevering. after you will be done with college, youll get a better job or maybe you might find something you like studying and maybe even study it further.

I know im just 17 (well going to be 17) but i understand how it feels to feel like a 'failure'
    I also know some people at the college i go to who are almost 30 even, retaking their gcses or doing access courses (similar to alevels) because they want to get into a new career so its not that uncommon.
  • Options
    Hi!
    I understand how you feel, im a bit younger than you though. I remember during august last year,i saw my gcse results, and they weren't good enough for the course I wanted to study, most colleges i applied to pressured me to give up on my ambitions, but now im retaking my gcses. I felt really upset back then, however, i think, had I listened to the teachers at those colleges and actually did gave up, i'd be working through a course i dont like for 2 years at least, and later on working a job i dread for the next 50 or so years, and thats worse than retaking exams.
    Going back to college doesn't make you a failure, it makes you persevering. after you will be done with college, youll get a better job or maybe you might find something you like studying and maybe even study it further.

I know im just 17 (well going to be 17) but i understand how it feels to feel like a 'failure'
    I also know some people at the college i go to who are almost 30 even, retaking their gcses or doing access courses (similar to alevels) because they want to get into a new career so its not that uncommon.

@PetiteQuark yh that's why I went to college before to increase my chances to getting a better job etc. But yh college is only temporary too. Also I have seen people in their 50s or even 60s go back to college so know age limit but yh that made me feel better. Thanks for replying.