Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

early 20s

toffuna101toffuna101 Posts: 154 Helping Hand
whats it like being in your early 20s? is it really about finding yourself, going to uni just to club, maybe finding a job? i feel bad for anyone who is that at age cause of the long term affects of the pandemic.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 124 The Mix Convert
    Hey @toffuna101 thanks for your interesting question! :) From my experience there can be a lot of pressure to know what you want to do in your early twenties - at uni, in a job etc. Often it can be hard not to compare yourself with others your age. I would say your early twenties should be whatever you want them to be, you shouldn't feel forced to go to uni just to go clubbing if that's not what you want from your experience - many people don't and love their time there! =)
  • Options
    thank you for answering my question
    i agree with you, people shouldn't be forced to go out clubbing, its just a common thing to do at university. if i went to university, i personally wouldn't do it to how loud and boisterous the environment is. im sure that they'll be other ways to hang out with people if i do decide to go
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,021 Wise Owl
    Hi @toffuna101 ive been looking into universities recently and some of them have like alcohol free rooms and stuff, so it won’t be everyone who wants to go out clubbing
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,022 Community Veteran
    I think being in your early twenties can have a variety of different experiences for everyone I think. Based on my own experiences (im 21), its been alright so far. I think I get you with the whole going to university and clubbing thing as I did to go my works christmas party but I didn't stay for too long. I find clubbing too overwhelming sometimes I don't know. I rather read or watch a film, or even read fanfic lol. Im sure there are plenty of other ways to meet and hang out with people such as like university societies and clubs. I never went to university and did the college route instead due to my own personal choices and due to the pandemic. I am currently doing an apprenticeship with a company called TRC media at the moment which help people from underepresented backgrounds get into tv and film so I think for me my early twenties are the start of me going into my career and focusing on my career goals. The dream is to hopefully either go into writing or directing but I am honestly not sure what I really want to do. I think the main thing is to just enjoy life and be yourself. I personally wasn't a fan of university as ever since secondary school I was bombarded by teachers nearly every day saying about the benefits of university and I was like what about colleges too. I know colleges are quite handy and sometimes I feel like in college when I went I became a much more confident person than I originally was pre-pandemic.

I think for many people they have different experiences and interests and self discovery is always fun to do sometimes as well. <3 Im always here to if you need anything as well or want to further discuss the future or life in your twenties.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    its kinda sad how it only took until recently for non-traditional routes to shine through in the education system. I've heard older people say that in secondary school teachers only encouraged people to go to university due to other routes being "second-class" which is not the case. id say that in some ways its better to do an apprenticeship/college because of the environment. there's also much more debt in university. anyways im going to enjoy my teenage years as best as i can for now and see where life takes me
  • Options
    edited January 1
    also i forgot to mention @Amy22 that by the time i turn 20 you'll be over 25. idk what happens when u turn 25 on here; is it like childline where u cant access the discussion boards?
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    toffuna101 wrote: »
    also i forgot to mention @Amy22 that by the time i turn 20 you'll be over 25. idk what happens when u turn 25 on here; is it like childline where u cant access the discussion boards?

u can still access the mix after u turn 25 :) i remember someone on here said they were 28 and i was so confused lol but it makes sense they dont chuck u out on ur 25th birthday. some people have been here for years so it would be kinda awful to just kick them out
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    yeah i guess it's different from childline since it makes sense to limit a 19 year old from the discussion boards- they should move onto other services. but since you'd be well into your adulthood by then on the mix it doesn't matter much anyways
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    edited January 2
    I'm in my late 20's now but overall my 20's were a hot mess. 😅 And that's quite common I think - you're doing new things, seeing what works, learning, getting stuff wrong. I once heard a YouTuber say 'your twenties are for guessing' and that resonates for me personally.

It is a bit different for everyone though and it might depend whether you go the traditional routes, something less traditional, or carve your own path in that time.

I dropped out of college when I was 18, worked for a bit, then found an apprenticeship that led me to move away from home and start on a new career. It was a pretty huge change and, all things considered, a gamble, but it was what I needed to do I think.
    Xee wrote: »

u can still access the mix after u turn 25 :) i remember someone on here said they were 28 and i was so confused lol but it makes sense they dont chuck u out on ur 25th birthday. some people have been here for years so it would be kinda awful to just kick them out
    Also, you can find this info here in What if I'm over 25?
    Post edited by JustV on
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options

I think after you turn 25 technically sometimes they do recocmend Mind or more adult services. I found this charity when I was 19 turning 20 so I was a late user and wish I found this website when I was a teenager around 13. But I don't they kick you straight out I think you can stay. I'll be on here as much as I can <3.
  • Options
    its kinda sad how it only took until recently for non-traditional routes to shine through in the education system. I've heard older people say that in secondary school teachers only encouraged people to go to university due to other routes being "second-class" which is not the case. id say that in some ways its better to do an apprenticeship/college because of the environment. there's also much more debt in university. anyways im going to enjoy my teenage years as best as i can for now and see where life takes me

I find that a lot of schools and sixth form colleges mention university a lot. I think for some uni can be great and fun but I know sometimes leaving uni is the hardest especially with the ongoing student loans and debt thing that has been ongoing for years. I have some friends who recently graduated university and they are still unsure of what they want to do exactly. As I heard after uni is can be harder trying to find work afterwards even this isn't always the case and sometimes some do actually find careers straight after ish. I'd say there's still plenty of time left to make those big decisions and you have fun with your teenage years and see where things take you. <3.
  • Options
    alright thats good
    given that im on the younger side of the 13-25 i personally think that its alright to find this website later on the age scale since I've found that there are people who are like older teenagers to young adults, so by that time u have enough life experience to empathise what they're going through. childline kinda has the opposite problem where there's likely to be more younger people.
  • Options
    I personally never used childline only looked at their articles once maybe back in day. But I get you that there are like younger people on there who may not be able to understand or empathise with certain events. A lot of people are on here are a range of ages so like they kind of understand what its like going through certain things. Also, I think another good thing is that users are able to talk and like help each other through what they are going through. Its quite an informal place to talk really about anything on your mind <3.
  • Options
    edited January 2
    i agree @Amy22
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,021 Wise Owl
    childline kinda has the opposite problem where there's likely to be more younger people.

I discovered Childline not too long ago and experienced the same issue, that’s why I’m here too :)
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,632 Legendary Poster
    edited January 4
    @toffuna101 I found the same with Childline in the end, it’s great when you’re around 11-14 because most people around their boards are a similar age but as you get older and the issues you face change so will the services you use. I’ve been around here since I was 13 so 8 years now and it’s one of the only places I’ve stuck with (and you guys are sadly stuck with me lol)

I’m early 20s, for me it’s been a different experience than most because of a few health conditions and disabilities, so it’s totally ok to take a different pathway through these years. I never went to uni, dropped out of college at 17 and my only work is voluntary. It’s very difficult but I get through as we all do, we have to find our own way. As others said there’s a lot of pressure to know what you’re doing with your life but actually, you have many years ahead of you to figure that out (I know people who have changed careers in their 50s).

Clubbing isn’t really my thing, I prefer having a drink at home or going to a bar. It’s not for everyone and even if you were to go to uni I’m sure you’d find there were a few people who weren’t too keen either.

If anything I’m a bit atypical, other than the education/work situation I’m quite settled. But I’ve had to because of my health really. So basically what I’m trying to say is everyone is different and unique in their own way.

You can stay here after 25 for sure, it’s a rough guideline rather than a you hit 25 and you’re out (with the exception of a limited number of services). Certainly the boards and group chat you can continue to use after you’re 25 so long as you behave yourself (I don’t always) ;)
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @independent_ Would you mind elaborating on what this looks like for you? i.e. what do you mean by voluntary work - is it an unpaid position?
    I’m early 20s, for me it’s been a different experience than most because of a few health conditions and disabilities, so it’s totally ok to take a different pathway through these years. I never went to uni, dropped out of college at 17 and my only work is voluntary.

I'm interested as I'm in my late teens, hoping to go to university this year🤞and I'm quite worried about my ability to work due to both physical and mental health stuff and being able to pay for stuff like food etc. Where I want to do a job it's often that I could do it physically but not mentally and vice versa, and it's playing on my mind a lot as I do want to be independent but I just don't feel ready and can't think of a job suitable for my current situation. I do have supportive parents but I don't want to be dependent on them forever as it's not really fair on them and I wouldn't feel right about it anyway.

If anyone has any insight feel free
  • Options
    @independent_ Would you mind elaborating on what this looks like for you? i.e. what do you mean by voluntary work - is it an unpaid position?
    I’m early 20s, for me it’s been a different experience than most because of a few health conditions and disabilities, so it’s totally ok to take a different pathway through these years. I never went to uni, dropped out of college at 17 and my only work is voluntary.

I'm interested as I'm in my late teens, hoping to go to university this year🤞and I'm quite worried about my ability to work due to both physical and mental health stuff and being able to pay for stuff like food etc. Where I want to do a job it's often that I could do it physically but not mentally and vice versa, and it's playing on my mind a lot as I do want to be independent but I just don't feel ready and can't think of a job suitable for my current situation. I do have supportive parents but I don't want to be dependent on them forever as it's not really fair on them and I wouldn't feel right about it anyway.

If anyone has any insight feel free

@lunarcat522 yes it's unpaid, if you have those health conditions it's 110% worth applying for PIP (or adult disability payment if you're in Scotland). That's what I've done and means I'm a bit more able to manage financially. I'm hoping to move into part time work at some point, I feel full time would be a bit of a stretch. I'm working on it.

It's a tough situation because the drive is sometimes there mentally but you're struggling physically, and sometimes it's the other way round. I find the same. Late teens was a hard time for me because I don't think I'd yet realised that the path I'm on is actually not a bad thing.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    @independent_ I'm not sure I'd get PIP, we applied for my brother who in short has lots of medical issues, was at one point hospitalised for months on end and will never be able to work or understand the concept of money, rent etc and he got scored very harshly so the applying process was very difficult when my parents had to do it on his behalf.

I'm worried that they'll underscore me because I can usually walk and stuff but I get a lot of pain and put out by seemingly 'simple' actions, I'm currently awaiting to hear about my referral from NHS rheumatology and enduring physiotherapy (private). I am in Scotland but I thought PIP recently just got renamed to be called adult disability payment, but I may be wrong?
  • Options
    @independent_ I'm not sure I'd get PIP, we applied for my brother who in short has lots of medical issues, was at one point hospitalised for months on end and will never be able to work or understand the concept of money, rent etc and he got scored very harshly so the applying process was very difficult when my parents had to do it on his behalf.

I'm worried that they'll underscore me because I can usually walk and stuff but I get a lot of pain and put out by seemingly 'simple' actions, I'm currently awaiting to hear about my referral from NHS rheumatology and enduring physiotherapy (private). I am in Scotland but I thought PIP recently just got renamed to be called adult disability payment, but I may be wrong?

@lunarcat522 it's worth a shot, worth getting help with the application, citizens advice can help you if you don't know anyone. Your brother would be very much entitled to an appeal, it sounds like he was scored incorrectly.

PIP is now adult disability payment here yeah, I'm still on PIP but then again I was on it before the change over. Not sure when I'll be moved over. If nothing else it's worth applying for universal credit if you're not in education so you at least have some money for yourself. It's not much but it can help with the worry of feeling completely dependent.
  • Options
    @independent_ Thank you that's really helpful. I'm not sure my parents would appeal as he did end up getting it and they've had a lot of battles regarding education over the years and it's understandably exhausting for them.

I'm not sure if I could apply for Universal Credit as I'm going to be in education for the foreseeable future. I do have some funding through education but it's really not much as it's intended for things like textbooks and smaller purchases. Luckily it's not an immediate fret but it's something I'm starting to think about ahead of time
  • Options
    @independent_ Thank you that's really helpful. I'm not sure my parents would appeal as he did end up getting it and they've had a lot of battles regarding education over the years and it's understandably exhausting for them.

I'm not sure if I could apply for Universal Credit as I'm going to be in education for the foreseeable future. I do have some funding through education but it's really not much as it's intended for things like textbooks and smaller purchases. Luckily it's not an immediate fret but it's something I'm starting to think about ahead of time

@lunarcat522 I 100% hear that, it's exhausting having to fight for these things. It's shocking really how people are forced to fight for the things they need.

It's totally worth thinking about but please try not to stress yourself. UC is always an option when you're not in education (you can't get it as a student) but in the meantime studying is a great thing to carry on with. You're doing something for yourself that can hopefully help you in the future. I understand how you feel as I've had similar feelings to you and there are solutions out there and ways of working with it.