Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Pathological liars

Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
edited August 2023 in Health & Wellbeing
I've always been perplexed to know how to handle pathological liars. I have personally delt with them myself and one day I just snapped and cut her off because of the extent of the lies. A few years have passed now and I've completely forgiven her but we still don't talk.

Dealing with her gave me the ability to sus somone out when they're telling lies.

I just wanted to know if people have been in similar situations? How did it all unravel and how did you handle it ? If not, how would you deal with a person like this?
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    asia4aasia4a Posts: 12 Settling in
    Pathological liars are a tricky one! I have never dealt with one but I suppose I would continue talking to them but be closed off to them in a way to protect myself and if it gets too much to deal with then I would proceed to cut them off as it is not healthy to have someone like that in your life or environment! Sometimes it's better to just remove all the toxic people from your life to benefit you :) put yourself first!! <3
    Don't force yourself to speak to them or forgive them, it all takes time!
    But also as you mentioned, its a good learning experience as you now know what to look out for in future relationships and bonds.

Hope this helped!!
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    Dealing with pathological liars can indeed be challenging and frustrating, as their tendency to consistently lie can erode trust and create confusion in relationships. Many people have encountered individuals who exhibit this behavior, and handling such situations can vary based on personal experiences and approaches. Here are a few common ways people might deal with pathological liars: Setting Boundaries, Confrontation, Distance, Seeking Support, Maintaining Empathy, Detaching Emotionally, Focus on Yourself. It's important to prioritize your own emotional well-being and make choices that align with your values and boundaries.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    asia4a wrote: »
    Pathological liars are a tricky one! I have never dealt with one but I suppose I would continue talking to them but be closed off to them in a way to protect myself and if it gets too much to deal with then I would proceed to cut them off as it is not healthy to have someone like that in your life or environment! Sometimes it's better to just remove all the toxic people from your life to benefit you :) put yourself first!! <3
    Don't force yourself to speak to them or forgive them, it all takes time!
    But also as you mentioned, its a good learning experience as you now know what to look out for in future relationships and bonds.

Hope this helped!!

Thank you for the advice, this was very useful !
  • Options
    Terry8936 wrote: »
    Dealing with pathological liars can indeed be challenging and frustrating, as their tendency to consistently lie can erode trust and create confusion in relationships. Many people have encountered individuals who exhibit this behavior, and handling such situations can vary based on personal experiences and approaches. Here are a few common ways people might deal with pathological liars: Setting Boundaries, Confrontation, Distance, Seeking Support, Maintaining Empathy, Detaching Emotionally, Focus on Yourself. It's important to prioritize your own emotional well-being and make choices that align with your values and boundaries.

This !!! I don't think she realised that it eroded my trust. Detaching emotionally was the best thing I ever did. Even when the lies and rumors started it truely didn't bother me because she'd alearedy ruined her own reputation and people were working things out for themselves.

I really like the part where you mention making choices that align with your values and boundaries because it's way too easy for people to make you act out of character. Either way, staying calm, cool and collected whilst not reacting to obvious attempts to stir has definitely helped.