Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

DBT

Blc_2004Blc_2004 Deactivated Posts: 296 The Mix Regular
Does anyone else know about DBT? I only recently started it and hasn’t been much help. Just thought I’d ask.

Comments

• Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    edited July 2023
    [deleted]
    Post edited by JustV on
  • Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @Blc_2004 DBT is a type of cognitive-behavioral therapy that was originally developed to treat individuals with borderline personality disorder (BPD). However, it has since been adapted to help people with various mental health challenges, including mood disorders, anxiety, depression, substance abuse, and self-destructive behaviors.

DBT focuses on teaching specific skills to help individuals regulate their emotions, improve interpersonal relationships, and cope with distressing situations. The therapy is usually structured into four modules:

Mindfulness: This module helps individuals become more aware of their thoughts, feelings, and sensations in the present moment without judgment.
    Distress Tolerance: This module teaches skills to cope with intense emotions and distressing situations in healthy ways without resorting to harmful behaviors.
    Interpersonal Effectiveness: This module focuses on improving communication skills, assertiveness, and setting boundaries in relationships.
    Emotion Regulation: This module helps individuals identify and manage intense emotions effectively.
    DBT is generally a comprehensive and structured therapy that requires active participation and practice of the learned skills outside of therapy sessions. For some individuals, the effectiveness of DBT may vary, and it's not uncommon to feel that it hasn't been much help initially.

If you find that DBT isn't working as expected or you haven't noticed significant improvements, it's essential to discuss your concerns with your therapist. They can adjust the treatment approach, explore different skills, or address any challenges you might be facing in the therapy process.

Keep in mind that therapy progress can be gradual, and it's normal to experience ups and downs during the treatment journey. Additionally, finding the right therapist who you feel comfortable with can make a significant difference in the therapeutic process. Don't hesitate to communicate openly with your therapist about your experiences and any adjustments you believe might be beneficial.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.