Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mental Health at night

AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
Hi everyone just wanting some advice tbh.....

At night time (11 pm onwards) my mental health always seems to be a lot more intense and worse and I am not sure why. Most of my mental breakdowns etc seem to happen at night. The thoughts are a lot worse and the anxiety is high. It is becoming a big problem for me as I am not sure what to do at all. I've tried certain things like going to be earlier but I just can't sleep that early then when I am tired I can't sleep either. 

Any advice that can be given would help me a lot, thanks in advance. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,499 Skive's The Limit
    Heya. <3
    ive heard it’s quite common for people to feel worse durning night time as got more time to think. About the day and what will be doing tomorrow. 

I try to keep myself awake at night because I don’t want to be awake for the next day. Rather sleep it away and be awake when everyone’s asleep and is peaceful 

what time do you wake up? Waking up earlier could help you sleep earlier. There are many different methods people use to get to sleep. Have you tried any others or think you’ve heard one you might try? 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,617 Legendary Poster
    Night time is the hardest part of the day for a lot of people, I’m exactly the same. 

I think it gives us more space to think, there’s nothing going on around us, it’s peaceful and the world is pretty quiet, so instead of focusing on our surroundings we focus on what’s going on in our heads instead. It’s like you’re busy all day then you stop, and it gives you a moment to think and then that thinking can go a bit crazy. 

I don’t really have any advice for you but I find a distraction helpful, like maybe listen to some music that you like or watch a film or TV show before you go to sleep. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Hi, Shaunie <3 
    Ty for responding and helping me I appreciate it a lot.

At the moment my sleep and waking schedule is kinda mixed, on weekdays I get ready to sleep at around 12:00 Am probably not getting to sleep till 3 because of mental health being so bad and get up at 9 (late for an online class always.). Then on weekends, I may go to sleep as late as 5 am as people are up later and wake around midday. For ways to sleep all I know is that I want a way that is nothing to do with medicine at all. 
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sending hugs
    Hope you are doing ok 💕
  • Options
    GreenTea said:
    Sending hugs
    Hope you are doing ok 💕
    HUgs back really needed that thanks <3
  • Options
    Maybe a distraction would help me ty for the idea independent however id need something away from technology and too much light during the night once I am in bed before bed distractions might be ok however youtube in the past hasn't and I don't watch much tv except films.....
  • Options
    Do you like reading? I know technology isn’t great for before bed but I never enjoyed reading so it’s what I’ve always used as distraction haha, a lot of people find a nice book helps them to fall asleep. Things like mindfulness can be really good too, there are lots of tips for that online :) 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    @AnneFrypan I am so sorry you have to deal with this it’s not very nice I also can’t sleep properly at night so I understand how you feel I dread going to sleep at night because I think of the worst things that can happen if you ever want to talk just pm me❤️🥺please don’t get to the stage I was last night that wasn’t very nice at all if you ever feel really worse just pm me maybe it will help us both if we talk about it because it is really scary I know.
    one night I thought I was having a heart attack 😓
    Sending big hugs 💕
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    GreenTea said:
    Sending hugs
    Hope you are doing ok 💕
    HUgs back really needed that thanks <3

💕💕
  • Options
    TY independent im actually reading a book at the moment that's pretty good maybe ill start reading it at night and try it. I'll have a look and mindfulness to cheers again. 
  • Options
    Emoji246 said:
    @AnneFrypan I am so sorry you have to deal with this it’s not very nice I also can’t sleep properly at night so I understand how you feel I dread going to sleep at night because I think of the worst things that can happen if you ever want to talk just pm me❤️🥺please don’t get to the stage I was last night that wasn’t very nice at all if you ever feel really worse just pm me maybe it will help us both if we talk about it because it is really scary I know.
    one night I thought I was having a heart attack 😓
    Sending big hugs 💕
    Thank you emoji. <3 Night time scares me a lot because its when I have my panic attack/ mental breakdowns. The scariest part of them is when It is hard to breathe.

• Options
    Reading the book at night sounds like a good idea <3 
  • Options
    @AnneFrypan I agree when I thought I was having a heart attack I had to wake my mom up but she said it is a panic attack it is so scary all your chest goes tight and like you said you can’t breathe properly you don’t have to be alone in this trust me ❤️
  • Options
    Hi, Shaunie <3 
    Ty for responding and helping me I appreciate it a lot.

At the moment my sleep and waking schedule is kinda mixed, on weekdays I get ready to sleep at around 12:00 Am probably not getting to sleep till 3 because of mental health being so bad and get up at 9 (late for an online class always.). Then on weekends, I may go to sleep as late as 5 am as people are up later and wake around midday. For ways to sleep all I know is that I want a way that is nothing to do with medicine at all. 
    You I agree medication for your sleep can be the worst tbh. Just makes it all worse cause ends up not working then it’s worse. 

I also struggle to breath. Gets worse at night too. I try to remember to breath from my stomach not chest. 

It’s weird. We have to pretend to be asleep to fall asleep. I try to remember that tbh as a way to get to sleep. Lol. Might not work for you tho
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    I will give a lot of these suggestions a go once I feel comfortable to go into night routine thank you again, everyone, it is honestly so kind of you. You guys are here when nobody else is. <3
  • Options
    Tonights getting bad again and scaring me but I don't wanna kick up a fuss about it eek.
  • Options
    @AnneFrypan don’t feel like that your not going to kick up a fuss it’s better out then In because if you leave it it gets worse if you keep thinking about it ❤️

• Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey Anne I definitely struggle at night too. 

These are a few things try that could help most of them are distractions that help calm my mind.
    -podcasts are good as there’s no bright screen
    -I like to make bracelets too, the ones you make by plaiting wool. It’s nice and repetitive it really helps me work off some of my nervous energy.
    -writing my feelings out in my journal. Normally I write letters to my future self, they help quite a bit
    -writing silly stories, it’s helpful to put my emotions into something else 
    -drawing what ever comes to mind.

Also If your struggling to sleep too I read some where that it’s best not to lay in bed, if you’re struggling to sleep after twenty minutes get up and do some simple exercises. That actually surprisingly helps quite a bit.  

Sorry I can’t help more I know it’s probably not what you want to here but the best thing to do is trial lots of different things. 

Always happy to listen if you ever need anything  <3

• Options
    What’s on your mind, what are you scared of tonight? You can keep talking here on this thread if it helps just to talk about it or write things down <3 
  • Options
    Its honestly just feeling so low tonight the thoughts are so strong and its overwhelming me. 
  • Options
    @AnneFrypan what are you thinking about ?
  • Options
    We are listening if you wanna speak about it <4
  • Options
    So many different negative thoughtstelling me im not good enough and stuff and I'm scared about the future and I also cant stop thinking about how my school don't flipping care and pastoral told me to basically get flipping wore before they help me......
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    @AnneFrypan 🥺let me just tell you that you are good enough your a wonderful person in your own way don’t forget that. 
    Sometimes schools don’t understand how bad things can get I think ❤️
  • Options
    @AnneFrypan
    its awful that their is not enough support out there:(does your school offer counselling?
  • Options
    School don't fliping understand how often I think about death how much I used to break down in class IM FED UP OF PUTTING ON A SMILE
  • Options
    @AnneFrypani understand that feels horrible every morning when I go into class my teacher always used to tell us how are you feeling today 1 meaning good and 5 meaning bad and I always used to lie and say I was a 1 because it was hard to explain and they wouldn’t anyway and if anyone asks me at school now how I am I just say I’m ok because there is no point telling I think if they don’t understand.
  • Options
    I just feel so not worth it like nobody I know would care if I died my therapy is listening to sad music 24/7 to not feel alone......
  • Options
    Shaunie said:
    @AnneFrypan
    its awful that their is not enough support out there:(does your school offer counselling?
    Pastoral dont give a shit quite frankly.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey Anne I’m really sorry to hear everything is so tough right now. You deserve support and I’m really sorry you’re not getting the help you deserve  right now. Is it possible to go to your Gp for help? 
    There’s also a site called Kooth which offers counselling, i know it’s not the same as getting help from school but if it’s available in your area it could be a good step to take.

Always here if you ever need anything, big hugs.  I’m sorry I can’t offer better advice or help more but I’m always happy to listen. <3