Home General Chat Positivity Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fake it 'til you make it and all that

Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
I combined a couple of techniques and wanted to share here in case they help anyone. It's not something I've seen anywhere but it kind of combines the counting and smiling techniques. 

So basically start by counting 1-30 slowly. This is to start by distracting you from however you're feeling or whatever is going on. 

Then count 1-30 but every between every number say (in your head or out loud) "smile". This further engages you and prepares you for the next step. 

Count 1-30 whilst saying smile between every number. Now after every time you say "smile" I want you to give a right good ol' cheeser. Big massive smile. This brings the fake it til you make it aspect in. It starts the endorphins and helps you feel happier. 

So now you've calmed down, you've distracted your mind and you've started getting a happy and clear mind. 

I hope this helps someone who needs it. It might sounds stupid but if it helps even one person it's worth it <3 

Keep going guys, you got it! 
               (_)
                |
           ()---|---()
                |
                |
         __     |     __
        |\     /^\     /|
          '..-'   '-..'
            `-._ _.-`
                `

Comments

• Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    Awesome, thanks for sharing!

A carer I once lived with taught me to smile to myself in the mirror whenever I'm feeling kind of down and it'll cheer me right up. I've done it every morning since. Big ol' cheesy smiles. Works a treat :smiley:
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
    Thanks for sharing. 

I was just trying this. And then I did actually start laughing because I was thinking I am doing the most sarcastic awkward smile going. Haha
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    @Liam glad you like it! I've been working on things to distract me from my thoughts and ended up putting it together! 

It's quite overwhelming to jump straight into the 3rd step so the gradual build up I guess just helps neutralise the negative thoughts and calm the mind. 

Figured if it works for me it might work for someone else!
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    @Shaunie hey I'm glad it made you laugh. Sometimes it's the silly little things that you need. I wouldn't do it in public but it's worked a few times in the house :lol:
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster