Home Politics & Debate

Is 'White Racism' real?

ThatFelixGuyThatFelixGuy Always Look Up. Optimism > PesimismPosts: 242 Trailblazer
Mods - I know this may be a controversial subject, so feel free to throw this one into oblivion if it does not fit the purpose :) I just wanted to rant about a subject that is an interesting talking point!

So, I just got called a 'racist' by a woman on Twitter because I told her my experience growing up.

Thankfully I do not live there anymore, but growing up, my family was the only 'white' family on a mostly black and ethnic minority estate. It was something else. We got whistled at, had slurs called (which I will not be repeating as I am pretty sure I would be in trouble!) and the climax of it all was our house was bricked and windows smashed, our bikes stolen...the MP was involved and we had to be relocated.

We spent years thinking what was wrong - was it the fact we were struggling to get a job? No, because it was a council estate. Was it due to the fact my dad was a job coach? No, because his job centre was in the next city along.

So, we were moved and we all unanimously agreed, maybe we were at the end of a racist attack. Now that word is pretty powerful to throw around, but I genuinely think it was. And I see it happening more frequently, that you will be called a 'liar' or ironically 'racist' for even insinuating a thing...

So I wanted to ask your honest opinions - is there such a thing as 'white racism' or is it just 'abuse'? I don't wanna start an argument, but at the same time, I want to open my mind and be more respectful to others mindsets :) 
"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves." - Bruce Lee
Aidan

Comments

• AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 2,836 Boards Guru
    I think if you live in a place where the majority of the others there are a different race to you, then it's entirely possible for you to be at the end of racism regardless of what your race or their race actually is :grin:

I remember a family holiday we had in Egypt once where the locals called my sisters sluts because they were white girls.
    "Do, or do not, there is no try" <(•.•)>              
    ThatFelixGuy
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,169 Skive's The Limit
    Of course it can exist. 

Anybody can suffer prejudice on the grounds of race. Is anti white prejudice a widespread problem in the UK? No. But that doesn't mean that instances of it don't occur. 

Apart from being wrong, prejudice on the grounds of physical attributes is simply stupid - there is no scientific basis for race. It's simply a social construct. 
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
    ThatFelixGuyLaineAzziman
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 849 Part of The Mix Family
    The name for it is "reverse racism". It exists until it doesn't fit people's narratives. 

Many people argue it doesn't exist. Well it does. 

Facebook doesn't believe in it though - I reported something for racism (it was black on white racism) and it came back saying it didn't go against their rules. 

Any major company will not believe in it because they will be seen to be racist if they go against blacks or minorities. 

I'm supportive of all races, religions and genders. 

Racism works both ways and the only people that don't see that are the ones trying to start an argument in the first place. 
    👁️👄👁️
    ThatFelixGuy
  • ThatFelixGuyThatFelixGuy Always Look Up. Optimism > PesimismPosts: 242 Trailblazer
    Anch0r33 said:

Racism works both ways and the only people that don't see that are the ones trying to start an argument in the first place. 
    I also find this true. Mainly those that lean to the super left will disagree, or those with an agenda they want to hide. it is super annoying! I am all for equality, but sometimes these equality 'virtuosos' are just driving us back.
    "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves." - Bruce Lee
    Anch0r33
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,169 Skive's The Limit
    Anch0r33 said:
    The name for it is "reverse racism". 
    Not the same thing. 'Reverse racism' generally refers to the idea that various policies and programs designed to redress racial inequality are a form of anti-white racism, and that the advancement of rights for no whites might cause harm for whites.

Racism is simply prejudice or descrimination against an individual or groupe on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group. It's not specific to any race or creed.

And while the example given above by Felix certainly sounds like he was a vicrtim of racial prejudice it woudn't be correct to say that there isa. problem with anti white racism in the UK, because there isn't.
    Anti white racism has never been systemic in the UK. That is not true for other
    creeds or colours unfortunately.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 197 Trailblazer
    edited October 2020
    Skive said:
    Anch0r33 said:
    Not the same thing. 'Reverse racism' generally refers to the idea that various policies and programs designed to redress racial inequality are a form of anti-white racism, and that the advancement of rights for no whites might cause harm for whites.

Not necessarily reverse racism can also just mean discrimination to the dominant group generally. Not that I like using that term. It does mean that also. 

Racism is just racism really. I mean in certain countries white people are the minority and are treated very badly or given less say. Or someone just with anti-white sentiment. I hear of ppl who are hateful to straight ppl in gay communities so it's kinda like that. Or jokingly the white people do not take spice.. xP 

In the UK the white british working class are the least well off however, they are not given special attention or allowed to be given special funds. There was a case where someone wanted to ensure their funds would go to the white poor but it wasn't allowed. 
    Not sure I would call racism again but it is an issue. Also there are places in the UK where white people are the minority.
    ThatFelixGuyAnch0r33
    tkdog said:
    Skive said:
    Anch0r33 said:

In the UK the white british working class are the least well off however, they are not given special attention or allowed to be given special funds. There was a case where someone wanted to ensure their funds would go to the white poor but it wasn't allowed. 
    Not sure I would call racism again but it is an issue. Also there are places in the UK where white people are the minority.

"White british working class are the least well off"

I'd like to see some evidence for that assertion. What definition are you using for 'working class' and what do you mean by 'well off'?

"There was a case where someone wanted to ensure their funds would go to the white poor but it wasn't allowed. "

Too right. Keep your racist money.

"Also there are places in the UK where white people are the minority."

So?
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 197 Trailblazer
    edited November 2020
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-lost-boys-the-white-working-class-is-being-left-behind

Obviously I don't agree with everything in the article but yeah particularly more males, boys.

Yea I can understand the idea that giving only to the white working class boys might not be great as that money could go to other people who are poor who happen to be other races and other sex as well as associations with race privilege. It more brings up the discussion if anything.
    There is still the issue though that white working class boys are underperforming in education . They can still be looked at and analysed as a group and acknowledged. A lot of people talk as if class isn't a thing in the UK anymore but it is. 

Ofc its not just race issues things like north, south divide in UK or indeed london vs whole of UK. A lot of people feel their concerns are not represented in politics. I mean the poor generally.

As for white people being a minority in some areas that was just a statement just to show that not necessarily are white people the dominant "race" everywhere as some people might think. I don't think its bad or good either way. Just what it is. Some people go into an area and they feel very different to others. Not implying discrimination either way. 
    Post edited by tkdog on