Home Health & Wellbeing
Fill out our Discussion Boards user survey for a chance to win a £50 Amazon voucher, to shape our services, and get closer to earning a badge!

Scars at work trigger warning ⚠️

ShaunieShaunie I’m alive but I’m ✨dead✨England 🏠Posts: 10,957 An Original Mixlorian
edited September 14 in Health & Wellbeing
Do you think it is okay for someone who works in primark to wear short sleeves if they have quite bad self harm scars. Only ONE arm like the inner arm?

its just I prefer to only wear short sleeves even if it’s in winter as I sweat a lot when anxious mostly only at work and with short sleeves I sweat less because of like the air getting to my arm pits lol

idk what is more embarrassing sweating a lot or self harm scars. 

Any advice pleaseee????

i do use a deodorant that kinda stops it. But I really do hate using it as it itches sooo sooo bad for about 2 hours at night. Like verryyyy veryyyy painful for my arm pits lol
But I feel like people would think wtf it’s winter and she’s wearing short sleeve does she want people to see it
i think this is within the guidelines. Very sorry if not. Just can’t explain otherwise as just want opinions on it

𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕪 𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕘 💕💕

Comments

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 528 Incredible Poster
    I think whatever you feel comfortable with is the most important thing! Personally I think it's okay, as a primark customer I wouldn't think anything of it, I'd simply respect you as I would anybody else, and equally if I was a colleague I would feel the same!  But yeah, really I think it's whatever makes you feel the most comfortable x

• DandelionDandelion Posts: 719 Incredible Poster
    I agree with @coc0mac, I think doing whatever you feel comfortable with is important. I also personally think it will be fine. I wear short sleeves when doing night shifts and none of the staff seem to care, which is good so hopefully customers would be the same x
    Today is a great day for a great day. 
  • ShaunieShaunie I’m alive but I’m ✨dead✨ England 🏠Posts: 10,957 An Original Mixlorian
    edited September 14
    Thank you @coc0mac & @Dandelion

I don’t feel comfortable with any tho :(. I just wanna kno which is more embarrassing in someone else’s opinions 

i don’t want people to think I’m disgusting for sweating so much and don’t want people to scared of me for the scars. 
    But I don’t want to be in pain for two hours before bed with the deodorant which I have been doing recently as new self harm which defo means can wear short sleeves

𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕪 𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕘 💕💕

• ShaunieShaunie I’m alive but I’m ✨dead✨ England 🏠Posts: 10,957 An Original Mixlorian
    What would you choose if it was you?

𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕪 𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕘 💕💕

I don’t think either is embarrassing and I’m sure no one else will. If the deodorant is hurting you, maybe wearing short sleeves is a good option if you’re comfortable with that x
    Shaunie
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling DurhamPosts: 447 Moderator
    Hey @Shaunie :) 

I can totally relate to the nightmare that is combating anxiety sweat! I use a nighttime deodorant too and it burns like crazy if my underarms are still wet when I apply it. If you prefer short sleeves, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'd expect customers (or anyone, really) to be courteous and understanding in a retail setting - after all, your self-harm scars have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of your service.

i don’t want people to think I’m disgusting for sweating so much and don’t want people to scared of me for the scars. 

I know that isn't always the case however and I really hear your concerns about customer's perceptions of you. There's a personal story here from Katie, whose experience you might find relatable and helpful. I second @coc0mac & @Dandelion in saying that your comfort is the most important thing. 

Thanks

@chubbydumpling
     is it called driclor ?

𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕪 𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕘 💕💕

I’m going to try to be comfortable with short sleeves as my arm pits are like red raw😂😭😭😭

𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕪 𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕘 💕💕

Eleanor
    edited September 18
    Does anyone know why some scars turn white and some turn red? How do I get them all to be white ?

𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕪 𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕘 💕💕

• AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 2,493 Boards Champion
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think scars will usually turn white over time?
    "Do, or do not, there is no try" <(•.•)>              
  • LaineLaine Llama Mama Gone for GooPosts: 2,309 Boards Champion
    I'm sure they turn pale over time as part of the healing process.

Moisturizer can help on older scars to heal better :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille

"Here's to the ones that we got
    Cheers to the wish you were here, but you're not" ~ Maroon 5
    Yeah I think so Aidan, also I think things like heat can affect them as well like some turn more red when it’s really hot/ cold 
    edited September 18
    Oh really thanks. Some of my scars go white straight away and some have been red for about 10 months. Hopefully they fade more soon

But yeah actually when think about it they have been slowly fading the ones that are red fading more to purpl

𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕪 𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕘 💕💕

• EleanorEleanor Living the Zen life 🧘🏼‍♀️ Posts: 1,139 Wise Owl
    @Aidan I thought that too, I have  scars on my arm because I broke my elbow and had to have surgery and they have all gone a whitish colour! 
    Alis propriis volat 
    Eleanor said:
    @Aidan I thought that too, I have  scars on my arm because I broke my elbow and had to have surgery and they have all gone a whitish colour! 
    Oh that’s good! How long did it take

𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕪 𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕘 💕💕

edited September 18
    I’ve got few purplish scars that was once red and just don’t know how likely they will eventually turn white too

𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕪 𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕘 💕💕

• LaineLaine Llama Mama Gone for GooPosts: 2,309 Boards Champion
    Reading up on it they are red due to more collagen forming which can occur over a period of several months.

Over time that breaks down and they turn a pale colour.

Scars can continue to face over up to 2 years.

After this they won't be likely to heal anymore :)
    The NHS recommends using moisturizer like E45 to stop them drying out x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille

"Here's to the ones that we got
    Cheers to the wish you were here, but you're not" ~ Maroon 5