Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Depression

pandalover200pandalover200 Deactivated Posts: 349 The Mix Regular
Ok so I’m new here got told yesterday I have depression 
very Emotional and crying buckets any tips and advice?

Comments

• Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hi, I always find doing something I like to do can help to distract me. What sort of stuff do you like doing do you have any hobbies or anything. I also quite like listening to music or podcasts or watching tv is quite a helpful distraction x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear you've been struggling, I'm so glad you've found us on the boards!! 

Getting a diagnosis is a huge step in itself, you've been very brave in seeking help and support for what you've been going through. 

Now that you've got a diagnosis, have you got any plans in place for treatment and/or support?
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear you've been struggling, I'm so glad you've found us on the boards!! 

Getting a diagnosis is a huge step in itself, you've been very brave in seeking help and support for what you've been going through. 

Now that you've got a diagnosis, have you got any plans in place for treatment and/or support?
    As I’m sure you saw on SC emailed a counselling person tonight.

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Oh I think I'd left by that point @pandalover200, I hope the counsellor is able to support you. Well done for reaching out to that person, I know from experience it can sometimes be really really hard to reach out to somebody. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Oh I think I'd left by that point @pandalover200, I hope the counsellor is able to support you. Well done for reaching out to that person, I know from experience it can sometimes be really really hard to reach out to somebody. 
    Yes  got help in SC on how to word the email Send it   got to wait for a reply how 
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    Yes  got help in SC on how to word the email Send it   got to wait for a reply how 
    That’s a great step. Well done <3
    how are you feeling now. It can feel lonely when get a diagnosis but you’re not alone <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Shaunie said:
    That’s a great step. Well done <3
    how are you feeling now. It can feel lonely when get a diagnosis but you’re not alone <3
    Yep I feel alone  and emotional 
  • Options
    JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Hey @pandalover200
    First off got to say that I love your username :D I hear that you feel lonely and emotional right now, and one of the tough aspects of depression is that those feelings can make everything feel hopeless. Keep talking and posting on the Mix though, there is a large community of loving, kind people on here who all just want to care for eachother <3 

You said you recently got diagnosed. The diagnosis can be a wierd one as even though people get diagnosed with depression, each individual person's experience is completely unique. How has your mindset been since the diagnosis?
  • Options
    JamJar said:
    Hey @pandalover200
    First off got to say that I love your username :D I hear that you feel lonely and emotional right now, and one of the tough aspects of depression is that those feelings can make everything feel hopeless. Keep talking and posting on the Mix though, there is a large community of loving, kind people on here who all just want to care for eachother <3 

You said you recently got diagnosed. The diagnosis can be a wierd one as even though people get diagnosed with depression, each individual person's experience is completely unique. How has your mindset been since the diagnosis?
    Aww thanks.  Just confused worried and anxious 
  • Options
    PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Hey @pandalover200 :) Firstly i'd like to echo what others users have said - The Mix is a place where you can find lots of help and support from our friendly community and it sounds like you've already found the Support Chat which is great!

From your posts it appears that you're having a difficult time since your diagnosis of depression - what sort of things are worrying/confusing you at the moment? Is there anyone such as friends or family that you might feel comfortable speaking to about your diagnosis? 

The Mix has a helpful article on some coping techniques for depression here, including:
    • Eat healthily
    • Get some sleep
    • Spend time with people
    • Cut down on drugs and booze
    • Wear something that makes you feel good
    • Get some exercise
    • Mindfulness
    Please let us know how you get on and remember you are never alone <3
  • Options
    PoppyB said:
    Hey @pandalover200 :) Firstly i'd like to echo what others users have said - The Mix is a place where you can find lots of help and support from our friendly community and it sounds like you've already found the Support Chat which is great!

From your posts it appears that you're having a difficult time since your diagnosis of depression - what sort of things are worrying/confusing you at the moment? Is there anyone such as friends or family that you might feel comfortable speaking to about your diagnosis? 

The Mix has a helpful article on some coping techniques for depression here, including:
    • Eat healthily
    • Get some sleep
    • Spend time with people
    • Cut down on drugs and booze
    • Wear something that makes you feel good
    • Get some exercise
    • Mindfulness
    Please let us know how you get on and remember you are never alone <3
    Yes everything about it  I  have no one apart  from the mix I already do mindfulness on Tuesdays 
  • Options
    Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hey @pandalover200

Sending hugs <3

I think it's a really important step to get the diagnosis - and I can imagine that it's probably a scary and confusing time for you - but once you have the diagnosis you can start to get help. I'm glad to hear you've contacted a counsellor too.

In the meantime, Mind has some self-care tips on their website that might be helpful: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/depression/self-care/
  • Options
    Han93 said:
    Hey @pandalover200

Sending hugs <3

I think it's a really important step to get the diagnosis - and I can imagine that it's probably a scary and confusing time for you - but once you have the diagnosis you can start to get help. I'm glad to hear you've contacted a counsellor too.

In the meantime, Mind has some self-care tips on their website that might be helpful: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/depression/self-care/
    Thanks so much