Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Personality disorder

This discussion was created from comments split from: Managing Coronavirus as a carer.

Comments

• CassandraCassandra Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi. Im new here ive never opened up to anybody about the possibility i have personality disorder. I often switch moods at the flick of a switch and it really scares me. Im not sure on how to explain the thoughts and the way my mind works. Im just looking for a little insight as to ways to possibly help and the ways forwars to living a normalish life with this.
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Hi @Cassandra welcome to The Mix :) We are a really friendly and supportive community and I'm sure everyone here will make you feel welcome!

Just to let you know, I have moved your comment into the Health & Wellbeing forum so you will get more focused support from our users. 

I can hear from your post that you are feeling scared about your sudden mood shifts, and it is really brave of you to open up about it <3 Would you feel comfortable talking a bit more about your different moods and and how they are affecting you?

In terms of resources to help you move forwards, The Mix does have an article on personality disorders with lots of really useful information that is worth a read if you have a chance: https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/personality-disorders/personality-disorders-6637.html 
  • Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hi @Cassandra

As well as The Mix article that @PoppyB has posted above, Mind also have a section on personality disorders including some self care tips which you might find useful: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/personality-disorders/about-personality-disorders/
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey cassanda there are ways to manage it and about finding what's best for you. Do you think Youd seek help from your gp or anything? I have a personality disorder. The best thing that helps me is mindfullness. How are you doing today?
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @Cassandra

Welcome to the mix and well done for reaching out! we are right here to support you :heart:

Just to echo what the others have said - would you feel comfortable talking a little more about what this is like for you, and whether you would consider visiting a GP? 

@Shaunie is right, there are ways you can manage it and things you can do to help. Reaching out here was a great first step to take and certainly something you can feel proud of. Take good care, we are here :heart: