Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Is This A Bug, Spammers Or Real?

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
It seems quite unrealistic that there are 114 guests on right now. Is this a bug with the system, spammers or are there actually 114 guests online?

Who's Online?

BenMa 
independent_
Kasa2103
Mike
Salix_alba_2019
The Mix
+114 Guests

Tagging those who I noticed were showing online as users.

@BenMa
@independent_
@Kasa2103
@Mike
@Salix_alba_2019
@The Mix   
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• BenMaBenMa Moderator, Staff Posts: 143 Helping Hand
    If they are real guests, I hope that they create accounts so we can get to know them! haha

it might be a bug though since I've only seen the increase the past few days :(
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Agreed @BenMa I like to believe that The Mix has become reaaallllyyyy popular overnight and everyone wants a piece! 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    edited June 2020
    BenMa said:
    If they are real guests, I hope that they create accounts so we can get to know them! haha

it might be a bug though since I've only seen the increase the past few days :(
    Oh okay. Thank you.
    @Mike do you have any idea what it is?
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    Eleanor said:
    Agreed @BenMa I like to believe that The Mix has become reaaallllyyyy popular overnight and everyone wants a piece! 
    Lol. Maybe that is the case.
    edited June 2020
    Now 121 guests!
    Down to 72.
    Slowly sneaking back up again.
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    It seems that Vanilla made a few updates to the boards a few days ago, which created several of the bugs that were being reported on here - such as the notification bug and subforums being known as ‘child categories’.

I don’t know if you’ll remember the old boards @Kasa2103, but before we moved to Vanilla, there could be upwards of 500 guests online at any given time. So, if this isn’t a bug, the guest number may in fact be more accurate than before.

The explanation I got at the time was that the guests are people who are browsing the site through google searches, or who are reading the forums without signing up.

In addition, some of the guests will be bots - sites like google use bots to index websites so that they show up in google searches.

So it may indeed be a real update instead of a bug. But I’m not sure. But if it’s not a bug this will probably be why.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    If it helps, here’s the link to the thread I started about this back in 2017:
    https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3563939/why-always-so-many-guests-online  
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    It seems that Vanilla made a few updates to the boards a few days ago, which created several of the bugs that were being reported on here - such as the notification bug and subforums being known as ‘child categories’.

I don’t know if you’ll remember the old boards @Kasa2103, but before we moved to Vanilla, there could be upwards of 500 guests online at any given time. So, if this isn’t a bug, the guest number may in fact be more accurate than before.

The explanation I got at the time was that the guests are people who are browsing the site through google searches, or who are reading the forums without signing up.

In addition, some of the guests will be bots - sites like google use bots to index websites so that they show up in google searches.

So it may indeed be a real update instead of a bug. But I’m not sure. But if it’s not a bug this will probably be why.
    Wow that was a lot of guests at any one time. Thank you for letting me know about this. The possibilities seem to be endless.
    Kasa2103 said:

Wow that was a lot of guests at any one time. Thank you for letting me know about this. The possibilities seem to be endless.
    @Kasa2103 they really do. There’s every chance this is a bug like the others but if it isn’t, this will be the reason.
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    Ello!
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    Really good point @independent_! We're not sure whether this is a bug or an improvement. It's a huge amount more guests than before but it could be that the reading is just more accurate, as Independent pointed out. We're waiting for word from our techies on what the dealio is.

I've also closed this thread just to keep the focus on the one Independent posted earlier in the week - helps us keep track of how things are being reported if we keep things in one discussion. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
This discussion has been closed.