Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Who's one stranger that you still remember?

EliEli Posts: 7 Confirmed not a robot
edited April 2020 in General Chat
Who's one stranger that you still remember and why?

When I was younger, probably 6 years old my mom was stuck in an abusive relationship. When they'd argue I would climb out of my bedroom window and sit on the roof of the garage until it was over. I felt safe there. A lady walked past one day and obviously hearing there was an argument going on inside she and called me down, I said that i couldn't get down and so she sat on the wall and talked with me the whole time, until it felt safe to go back inside. I remember we talked about my favourite movies and foods. It really helped to take my mind off of the arguing. I never saw her again.

It's interesting what impact a stranger can have on our lives.

Do you have a stranger that you haven't forgotten?

Comments

• Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Thats nice that the lady sat with you. For me there is this elderly lady that comes into where I work every single week and she always stops and asks me how I’m doing, the first couple of weeks I was trying to think of where I knew her from then I realised she was just a nice person. Every week she still comes in and stops and talks to me then says see you next week. 

I think it’s really lovely how some people can show so much kindness to people they don’t even know 
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,788 Master Poster
    Once when I was doing volunteering at gymnastics I was feeling really upset, overwhelmed and anxious. I needed a few minutes to calm down and compose myself.

A woman walked past me with her toddler daughter and saw me crying. She introduced herself and asked me what was wrong. She was the mother of one of the gymnasts so I knew she was a safe stranger.

I explained to her how things were hard. She took me over to the front desk and spoke to the receptionist about how she found me crying. The receptionist took me back inside to the gym and then spoke to one of the coaches who managed to help sort things out after I calmed down.

Never seen that woman again but I can still remember her kindness and understanding.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    mimimimi Posts: 20 Boards Initiate
    I was flying by myself and had a panic attack whilst we were landing. The lady next to me didn't say anything but just reached over and held my hand. It's like she totally understand that I wouldn't be able to speak and that act of kindness really meant something when I was all by myself struggling. 
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,788 Master Poster
    That is lovely Mimi. 

I remember that there was one teacher at my school who held my hand when I was having a panic attack at school on injection day about 3 months ago.

She helped to calm me down and sat with me whilst I had my injections. She did not let go of my hand until after my injections when she went to get me a cup of water. Haven't seen the teacher since then.

It was so nice of her especially as many people would just laugh or think of me as a wimp.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    Interesting reads. Thanks for the comments :)  It makes me wonder whether theres anyone out there who would mention me as their stranger they've never forgotten.  Who knows =)

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I've got countless story's, from strangers messaging me lovely messages to strangers complimenting my style :lol: but 2 stand out.

1)  I received a lovely self care/distractions box from a stranger, It really cheered me up and I still use it to this day, she put so much thought into it, then a few months later it hit the news that she had taken her life, makes me treasure it even more, even if I feel a little sad looking at it. just shows that no matter what people are going through they still try to spread positivity.

2) a few years ago I put on twitter that I had cut myself opening my advent calendar and I could feel the Christmas spirit draining out of me with my blood :lol:  next thing I knew Thorntons were asking for my address, they sent a lovely gift set worth £30 and a note saying 'we hope this brings back the Christmas spirit' :lol:  

also another one … they're not strangers now but were when I first met them? the people I met inpatient, as soon as I got there (I was doped up on every drug under the sun) a lovely girl sat beside me and starting chatting to me to calm me down, another bloke made me a cuppa, I was SO nervous and scared and the other patients could tell (I was the youngest on the ward by like 10 years)... and when I went out for a fag another patient put a HUGE plastic spider in my bed, obviously I freaked out and made everyone laugh, but was a good icebreaker :) and this was all on my first night, I met other people in there that are now my best friends, but they were strangers at one point...

I guess everyone we meet is a stranger at one point, but sometimes those people become part of our lives, and we can't imagine life without them :)<3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
    TW

A girl who helped me in public when i tried to kill myself. I cant remember what she looked like because i was unconcious for the most part. But i know she stayed with me for a long time while i was getting the help for abulance. 

Also i once got a bus going to a place i wanted to kil myself. I sat right at the back. And this man spoke to me the whole way. He spoke about his girlfriend and college. He didn't know how shitt i was feeling but it was a distraction and lifted my mood. People never really speak to each other on busses Apart from to ask for Directions so it was weird it happened on a day i felt so bad. I'm sure any other day i would of hated him speaking to me loll. But i needed the distraction.  He will never know the impact it had 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
     a few years ago I put on twitter that I had cut myself opening my advent calendar and I could feel the Christmas spirit draining out of me with my blood :lol:  
    @BubblesGoesBoo hahaha that tweet is awesome. Hope you enjoyed your treats.

@Shaunie i hope that you're in a better place now, i'm glad that those strangers were there to help you when you were most vulnerable