Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Annual Planning Chat

ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
Hey, 

On Thursday 6pm-7.30pm we will be running a special group chat. The purpose of this chat is to give you, The Mix Community, a space to tell us what it is you think The Mix should be focusing on over the next year. 

This chat will be lead by Elena who sits on our youth voice panel and will be representing your voices at our Annual Planning day in March. It promises to be light, fun and give you a space to really have your voice heard. 

If you would like to attend sign up here: http://bit.ly/APchat

You can also have your say by heading over to @htwohig2412's post here and tell us what you think. The questions on the boards post will be slightly different from the group chat, so we would encourage you to take part in both if you can! We would love to hear your thoughts! 

Any questions comment below or drop us a PM!

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
-
Brene Brown

Comments

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Is it this Thursday? 😊
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    Hey @BubblesGoesBoo

Yeah it is this Thursday the 5th (Sorry for the short notice). Are you free/ keen to come along?

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown

• Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,788 Master Poster
    Signed up! See you there.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    Italia said:
    Hey @BubblesGoesBoo

Yeah it is this Thursday the 5th (Sorry for the short notice). Are you free/ keen to come along?

Signed up 😊 been signed off work so can attend now 😂
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I've signed up
  • Options
    We have such a good group signed up for tomorrows Annual Planning chat! It's going to be great, and we will be asking different questions from last year! 

We are looking forward to seeing you all and hearing what matters most to you in 2020. 

Keep an eye out in your PMs and Emails for passwords etc tomorrow morning, and let me know if you have any questions!

It's not too late to sign up if your still thinking about it. Drop @The Mix a PM if you have any questions or are feeling worried about coming along.

-
    Brene Brown

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
    edited March 2020
    I missed this cause i wasn't looking at the boards. / on a very short "break" 

But I really think you should speak more about how your diet affects your mental health. You have articles about a balanced diet and fitness and diet. But none of them link to mental health and its really important i think. Many people have a lot of sugar and It makes you so tired. I normally count calories not caring about how much sugar i have. But decreasing sugar and i think I'm feeling less tired already. You don't need to know all the grams to have a good diet but being mindful of how it can affect your moods if eat too much junk. Sounds obvious but we forget and i know in mental health services diets are a one big thing they're looking at 

You have a lot of body confidence ones which are great. Need to be comfortable.  But we do need to look after our health physically too
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Hey Everyone,

Thank you to those who were able to come along to this chat, and @Shaunie thank you for sharing your ideas, we have made sure they are included. 

@Aidan your summary is really helpful, and a good way to keep everyone else in the loop with what kind's of topics came up. 

I just wanted to let you know, that we are currently bringing everything together and two of our Youth Voice Panel members are going to present this to the team tomorrow. We will keep you updated.

I hope this week is treating everyone okay.  <3

-
    Brene Brown

• Options
    I know that it might be too late to suggest any other issues but the criminal justice system (particularly for young people) is very important to me and should be spoken about more on The Mix. 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Options
    Hey Kasa,

Thanks for flagging this - I will add it in today ;) Thanks for letting us know! 

I would love to hear more about this from you. Can you tell me a bit more about what kinds of issues within criminal justice system you would like to see, and perhaps why? 

Just to help us understand a bit more :)

-
    Brene Brown

• Options
    I believe that youth offending, victim support and mental health in prisons are the three most important things that are linked to the criminal justice system. I would like to see more of this because it might help to deter people from committing crime which is the main aim. Also, victims of crime sometimes get too scared to speak up and ask for support.
  • Options
    @Kasa2103 victim support is a good one! 💖
  • Options
    Just had a thought actually, is there much information on things like autism? I've never really looked but I was just talking to a friend on discord who has an autism diagnosis and suddenly thought about it. So like information about what it is, how it can impact a person..etc etc
  • Options
    Hey Greentea,

This is a great idea, thanks for sharing. We don't have a huge amount of information about Autism, so it would definitely be good to get some more going. I know that our friends at Ambitious about Autism have heaps of information. They came and did a really amazing youth - led training with some of our staff and volunteers last year, which was quite helpful. 

The youth panel presentation has been done now, and I missed your message but I will make sure it gets into the next round of suggestions. The annual planning process will continue for a few more months, so there will be opportunities for this idea to be heard. :+1:

-
    Brene Brown

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Annual Planning Feed Back!
    Thank you to everyone who took part in our Annual Planning chat or contributed to Harry's post here.
    Your insights and ideas were so valuable, and Emma from our Youth Voice Panel presented them to the staff last week along with a wide range of other young people's views. 

Who did the Youth Voice Panel listen to?
    The Youth Voice Panel wanted to make sure they listened to a wide range of young people, who represented both the people who use The Mix now and the people who are going to use The Mix in the future.
    • The Mix Community had a pretty big voice across the dedicated online chat which Elena ran, and the Discussion Boards post @htwohig2412 ran.  
    • The Services Innovator Committee - the group responsible for helping shape The Mix services gave their input via email. 
    • A group of young people who don't use The Mix also had a say through the Youth Voice Panel members personal social media accounts. 
    Overall the Youth Voice Panel consulted with over 50 young people. 

What did we hear?
    There were a lot of really helpful ideas, all of which were presented to The Mix staff team skilfully by Emma. 

After listening to everyone, the Youth Voice Panel selected three main themes that they recommend The Mix focus on over the next year. These recommendations were based on what came up the most.  

These three themes were:

Raise Awareness of The Mix
    This came up as something that The Mix needs to work on. There were many helpful suggestions on how we could do this, all of which were included. 

Interestingly across social media, 28 young people took part in a poll, all of those who had heard of The Mix before were 14 years or under, all those who had never heard of The Mix were 15 or over.
    - Would love to hear your thoughts on that?

Hopefulness

The Mix has a big focus on the struggles and issues young people face, and you told us you want to hear more positive stories. 
    • Testimonials of people going through challenges and coming out the other side
    • Focus on resilience which these challenges builds and what life afterwards can look like
    • Celebrate young peoples strength and resilience 

Money
    Managing money came up a lot from everyone we listened to. We heard that your worried about both your finances and family fiances and would like support to navigate the financial world before you have to manage it as adults.  Particularly how to manage things like debt. 

These are the three strongest themes which came up, however the Youth Voice Panel still spoke to all of the other things you suggested too.. including but not limited to, 

• Men's mental health
    • Individual conditions - especially the lesser known ones
    • Rights for people with disabilities
    • Diets impact on mental health
    • Workshops to cope with loneliness
    • Not all disabilities are visible - suggestions for talking about invisible disability. 
    Of course we will still be doing work across all of these areas, so your ideas on these topics are really helpful and will help shape that work in the coming year. 

You also gave us a lot of ideas on how you would like to be involved in shaping our work - but this post is getting looong.

In a nut-shell - the way we are currently involving you works well and we offer all the options that you suggested for being involved. However we need to find a way to talk about these opportunities and  advertise them better - so we will work on that. 

Thank you for taking part and helping the Youth Voice Panel shape these recommendations, they are so much more powerful for having your voice at the heart of it. 

Any questions or feedback welcome :) 

-
    Brene Brown

• Options
    Absolutely gutted that autism didn't make the cut. I feel like not enough people understand and it could of been really beneficial
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Hey @GreenTea

I agree, having autism in there would be really beneficial! 

There was a lot of talk about "invisible" conditions, which Autism could totally fit under. Also, as mentioned above this is not a definitive list, and the process is far from over. We can make sure it is included in our next Annual Planning meeting. 

If we do some more work in this space, we will let you know. 

<3 

-
    Brene Brown