Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Advice on self-harming

Karolina28Karolina28 Posts: 4 Newbie
edited February 2020 in Health & Wellbeing
I'm new to this page and would like to know if anyone here self-harms and if you do what advice would you give on how to stop self-harming? As I self-harm and am trying to stop as my mum just found out and is really worried about me :s

[moved from Introduce Yourself by moderator, title edited]

Comments

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Heey Karolina :)

I self harm, I cant really give advice on how to stop as I still do it, though it has cut back massively, ive only had 3 instances this year :) honestly I just got sick of it, I was sick of being stuck in that vicious cycle, I was sick of the hospital trips/admissions, basically I just wanted my life back.

what has helped me is actually using my coping techniques, my fav one is painting my nails, coming on here to help others, writing/colouring, doing housework or just getting outside away from the temptation, basically anything to keep your hands busy and your mind distracted :)

is your mam being supportive at all? maybe she could help distract you?

I think the main thing when trying to stop self harming is to find out why your doing it, like its different for different people... like is it to feel something/nothing, to distract you from other emotional pain etc.. once you find that out you can find ways to compensate for that feeling without hurting yourself :)

Hope this helps a bit <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    Thank you BubblesGoesBoo :3   I think this will help me a lot as I still self harm as well and yes my mum is being very supportive about it and is trying her best to make me feel better and I find that really nice of her as when she found out she didn't get mad or anything <3
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Karolina ,

quiet often self harm is in response to a distressing situation or emotion that your feeling so it may be good to identify what that feeling is ... There is also an app called calm harm that is full of a range of activities that you can use to “Ride the wave “ as it’s often been explained that when we self harm we don’t allow ourselves to fully experience the emotion on why were upsetting but if we allow ourselves to experience it over time the feelings or urges will get less frequent and less intense m. 

I’ve also found that drawing on the area or using temporary tattoos on the area I want to self harm can work as I look at it and realise I don’t want to mess the drawing or the temporary tattoo.

its definitely worth trying to reduce the amount you self harm to begin with especially if it’s something that you use to cope quiet often.

im so glad your mum is being supportive and of course all of us here on the boards will be here for you <3
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    Thanks Millie <3
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
    Hey & welcome

Proud of you for talking the step in wanting to change. It can deffo be hard to stop as becomes kinda addictive
     it can worth trying to find out what triggers it. If nothing through out the day then what thoughts trigger it. Being mindful of what your thinking and allowing yourself time can help reduce the intensity. 

Do you have any hobbies? Could do that when feel overwhelmed

I'm glad your mum is supportive that can really help

take care <3 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Jade09Jade09 Moderator Posts: 660 Incredible Poster
    Hey there @Karolina28 and welcome to The Mix community! Big well done for reaching out for support here.  <3

Its positive that you are looking to stop self-harming, @BubblesGoesBoo , @Millie2787 and @Shaunie have mentioned some awesome ideas including coping techniques, distractions, app recommendations and starting a new hobby. I just wanted to add in this list of different types of distractions that may be of use to you- here:)

Recovering from self harm can be a tough process, however sometimes it can be helpful to know what steps to take, the article here talks some more about these steps, and how it can be beneficial to recovery.  <3  

Have you thought about visiting your GP about self harm or seeking any professional advice? It can be a massive step to do this and it can be hard to know what to expect. The Mix has an article here which talks a little bit about what to expect when going to your GP, what support may be available and what questions they may ask you. May be worth a read if and when you are ready.  :) 

Well done again for reaching out! 

·         

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thank you @Shaunie and @Jade09 <3