Homeโ€บ General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting โœจ

Shadows on posts: yes or no?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,276 Part of The Furniture
edited January 2020 in General Chat
Hey folks!

Excitingly, we've got the ability to add slight shadows to posts and avatars. They add a bit of visual depth to discussions, make things feel a bit more modern and posts look a bit less static. In addition to that, we can round off the corners of posts to make them a bit less square.

This is how that looks on desktop:

This is how it looks on mobile:

Vote on the poll to say whether you'd like to give this a go. No change would be permanent - this is just to try it and see what we reckon. We quite like it on the staff team but we want to see what y'all think.

At the start of next week we'll decide what to do, based on these results. :)

All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Shadows on posts: yes or no? 22 votes

Yes, let's give it a try
90% 20 votes
Nah, not keen
9% 2 votes

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,454 Skive's The Limit
    As much as i like the idea of forums to keep looking out of date and not modern - it does look pretty cool lol so i put yes
    โ€œAnd when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.โ€ ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    It's quite cool and I don't personally take against it, but I also feel like the boards are nice the way they are.

I wouldn't mind the shadows, but if you do that, I think I'd like the change more if you put the avatar size back to normal or maybe made it a little less big than it is right now. I'm sure I'll adjust either way :)
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,276 Part of The Furniture
    @Shaunie said:
    As much as i like the idea of forums to keep looking out of date and not modern - it does look pretty cool lol so i put yes
    @Aidan said:
    I like it, looks cool and modern :+1:
    Thanks both of you. :) Looks like there's a lot of support for this idea.

It's quite cool and I don't personally take against it, but I also feel like the boards are nice the way they are.

I wouldn't mind the shadows, but if you do that, I think I'd like the change more if you put the avatar size back to normal or maybe made it a little less big than it is right now. I'm sure I'll adjust either way :)
    That's a super reasonable thing to want Kathleen. Change can be difficult even in small amounts, so there's definitely an argument for taking these things slowly/gradually. And of course, for those who just prefer a more retro style, that's okay too. :)

The avatars will most likely stay the size they are, just because they were arguably a little too small to make out or read before, depending on the image. The new size also makes better use of the space to the left of posts, so it was a practical decision overall.

We'll see how we do with the poll. Again, definitely an argument for either making small changes or making bigger changes gradually. :)
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It looks good, very Morden feeling. I sometimes feel like the current design is very old school and lacking its modernization
    Thanks @GreenTea! Looks like the majority of people agree. :)

Given the poll was such a landslide, we implemented these changes today. Feel free to leave your thoughts below if you have any, and do check out the mobile view if you usually use desktop!
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Woahh, I was all for this but it's so different ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''ย ย 
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    edited January 2020
    I mean same @BubblesGoesBoo on my phone looks so strange ๐Ÿ˜‚

Personally I feel like on a mobile the avatar pictures look too bigย 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Can we change messages back? Sent a message and had to check like 3ย  times it was an actual message and I wasn't posting on a thread ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''ย ย 
    I really like this!
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    It looks ace :smile:ย 
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,454 Skive's The Limit
    I feel like i can work out people's pictures more with out having to click on their profile so makes it look bit more interesting
    โ€œAnd when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.โ€ ~ Kirsten Corley
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Shaunie said:
    I feel like i can work out people's pictures more with out having to click on their profile so makes it look bit more interesting
    I thought this too, everything is a lot more clearer :smile:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hmm... I'm not sure what I think of this. On my first glance I was like, "this doesn't look good, it feels weird with the rest of the site's design", but now I'm looking more closely and I think it looks cool and maybe better than before. I think it looks nice in itself but I'm split on whether it feels to me like it fits, if you know what I mean. I don't really know, it's interesting to see.
    edited January 2020
    Awesome to hear you guys like it overall! Thanks to those who have given constructive feedback. :)

I mean same @BubblesGoesBoo on my phone looks so strange ๐Ÿ˜‚

Personally I feel like on a mobile the avatar pictures look too bigย 
    Hmm, do you think you might adjust to that Millie? Or would you say they look intrusively big?

Can we change messages back? Sent a message and had to check like 3ย  times it was an actual message and I wasn't posting on a thread ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    This is a fair question Bubbles! It's worth noting they were the same when they were both flat, but there's probably an argument for making PMs and and discussions feel a little bit different anyway.

If this is a popular request we can consider it for sure. :)

Hmm... I'm not sure what I think of this. On my first glance I was like, "this doesn't look good, it feels weird with the rest of the site's design", but now I'm looking more closely and I think it looks cool and maybe better than before. I think it looks nice in itself but I'm split on whether it feels to me like it fits, if you know what I mean. I don't really know, it's interesting to see.
    Interesting point Kathleen. You could certainly argue that the rest of the styling (e.g. on the homepage) could do with a tweak to make things feel more consistent. We'll be working on that at some point in the future because it's a bigger project, and we'll be getting you guys involved to vote on what you like. :)

Thanks for your thoughts guys! It's definitely a change that might take some getting used to but it's awesome to know this is generally something we're liking.

Would it be useful to do a poll a bit later (e.g. in a month) to see if we still like it?
    I don't think messages should go back to the old style. It would just look werid going to and from the old and new style. The boards need an update in style and I think it looks really up to date and cool. I think some will take longer to get use to theย  new style than others.ย 

Either way I like the new style for the boards and PM. I think it works really well and is fun and feels more Morden
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Defo worth a go it looks good to me :)

๐ŸŒˆPositive thoughts๐ŸŒˆ

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    @Laine @GreenTea - thanks both of you. :) That's useful feedback!