Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Rememberance Sunday/Day

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,780 Master Poster
Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a history lesson for everyone. On 11th November 1918 at 11am the documents to stop World War One were signed. Every year since 1919 on that day and at 11am there is a 2 minute silence to remember the soldiers that lost their lives in the war as well as survivors.

The 2 minute silence is also observed on the Sunday before. So if Rememberance Day fell on Tuesday 11th November (just an example,) then Rememberance Sunday would be on Sunday 10th November.
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,030 Boards Guru
    Thanks for putting together this thread @Kasa2103 <3 

I've linked it to our confetti cannon too :) 
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    This is a lovely thread :heart: 

I watched my nephew walk in the parade this morning, a very proud Auntie moment :heart: 
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    We made this with the children at work and walked them up to lay it at the memorial . They all painted the poppies then we stuck them down 

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,780 Master Poster
    We made this with the children at work and walked them up to lay it at the memorial . They all painted the poppies then we stuck them down 

That is a really lovely thing to make. I love it. Great way of showing that you care. :)
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    Stephanie said:
    This is a lovely thread :heart: 

I watched my nephew walk in the parade this morning, a very proud Auntie moment :heart: 
    Oh wow that is amazing. I could guess that you would have been a very proud auntie. Thank you for the kind words about my thread. :)
    Aidan said:
    Though the armistice was signed at 5.20 in the morning in a railway carriage in France, the fighting wouldn't end until 11 AM- to make the time and date more memorable. 11,000 people were killed, missing, or injured on the final day of the First World War.

(Later during the Second World War, Hitler would force the French to sign their surrender in the same railway carriage.)

The last casualty of the war is said to be a German officer who approached American soldiers just after 11, and the soldiers, unaware of the end of the war, killed him. Artillery still fired throughout the afternoon.

In 1927, nearly a decade since the war's end, 65,000 men with 'shell-shock' were still in hospitals in Britain.

And the First World War sadly wasn't the war to end all wars it was hoped to be.

Now we use the poppy and the date of the armistice to remember the fallen from all wars.

We will remember them.
    Amazing information. Thank you very much. I never actually knew most of that. All I knew was the 11am thing, about shell shock and the poppy. Is it okay to share what you said with the history department at my school? In history we are learning about World War One.
    Aife said:
    Thanks for putting together this thread @Kasa2103 <3 

I've linked it to our confetti cannon too :) 
    Sounds good. Thank you. :)