Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should we keep the 'thanks' reaction?

Comments

• Options
    JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,878 Extreme Poster
    Side? There’s sides now? That’s just childish I’m not on any side I just have my opinion and find it rude that any post I make about my opinion is quickly followed up by someone to say my opinion is wrong basically. 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,505 Skive's The Limit
    Kathleen clearly meant no harm in her comment & clearly meant just that's her opinion too. :)
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,878 Extreme Poster
    See, this exactly what I’m talking about. Can’t say anything without people jumping down my throat. Clearly can’t have opinion. Won’t be commenting anymore. Bye
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Side? There’s sides now? That’s just childish I’m not on any side I just have my opinion and find it rude that any post I make about my opinion is quickly followed up by someone to say my opinion is wrong basically. 
    Your opinion isn't wrong at all Jelly! What I mean by side is sharing the opinion of, I agree with what Shaunie said.That doesn't mean anyone's is wrong. I'm sorry if I seemed rude.
  • Options
    No ones has said anything wrong. We are just saying our opinion. Comments can sound defensive when you share your opinion because it's the opposite of what you said. But there's nothing rude or harm in any of it. :). Not jumping down anyone's throat ?
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    See, this exactly what I’m talking about. Can’t say anything without people jumping down my throat. Clearly can’t have opinion. Won’t be commenting anymore. Bye
    Sending hugs, I'm sorry you feel that way. We're not meaning to jump down your throat and your opinion is welcomed here <3
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I think we should keep it. That doesn't mean everyone has to use it if they wont want too. We have other reactions too that not everyone will use.... 
    And to be honest if people have voted keep it, then it's only fair they go with what the majority have voted for to make it fair to everyone.

" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    I agree that it would be fair to keep it like the majority have voted for <3 I just don't really get the idea. I haven't used the reaction before and I don't think I ever will. It's only my personal preference though.

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the thanks over the other reactions or just typing it? You've talked of the hugs being overused, why do you feel that way and why can't you use insightful or agree or just no reaction? Or you talk of the potential of spamming threads with thank you if you were to just type it? And so on. I'm just interested :)
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,147 Part of The Furniture
    I agree that it would be fair to keep it like the majority have voted for <3 I just don't really get the idea. I haven't used the reaction before and I don't think I ever will. It's only my personal preference though.

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the thanks over the other reactions or just typing it? You've talked of the hugs being overused, why do you feel that way and why can't you use insightful or agree or just no reaction? Or you talk of the potential of spamming threads with thank you if you were to just type it? And so on. I'm just interested :)
    Take the situation with my dad for example a lot of people are sending hugs or saying I hope he’s found soon - I don’t want to spam the hugs thread or wherever I posted it with thank you but then I also fed bad for ignoring there well wishes which is where I will use the Thanks button 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options

Take the situation with my dad for example a lot of people are sending hugs or saying I hope he’s found soon - I don’t want to spam the hugs thread or wherever I posted it with thank you but then I also fed bad for ignoring there well wishes which is where I will use the Thanks button 
    Aww. And why don't you use the hugs button? Again, not attacking haha, I'm just curious.
  • Options

Aww. And why don't you use the hugs button? Again, not attacking haha, I'm just curious.
    I think using the hug reaction isnt really needed when your saying thank you to somebody. 
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
  • Options

I think using the hug reaction isnt really needed when your saying thank you to somebody. 
    But it would do. Hugs expresses warm feelings and so could say thank you, so why do we also need a thanks reaction?
  • Options

But it would do. Hugs expresses warm feelings and so could say thank you, so why do we also need a thanks reaction?
    I think its only fair that they go of how many votes, cause if they dont then its pointless having people vote. 
    I dont feel the need for this debate really 
  • Options

I think its only fair that they go of how many votes, cause if they dont then its pointless having people vote. 
    I dont feel the need for this debate really 
    I agree, I'm just talking about the thanks reaction in itself. So, everyone voting for keep it might have the same mindset that you do - but then the amount of votes isn't a factor. So why do they want the thanks? I'm not sure if I make any sense lol.

That's okay! Sorry, I hope you're alright <3
  • Options
    TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    edited September 2019
    Great to see this discussion happening. :) There are certainly pros and cons to both options here.

There are a few comments here about the purpose of the thanks reaction and reactions more broadly, and we're happy to explain the reasoning behind using them.

A thriving community relies on lots of engagement and interaction. Posting is one way to do this for sure, and that's where the substance is on the boards; that's where you find the meaty conversation. For some people though, posting simply to offer a hug or say thank you might not seem worth it or be convenient.

If you're the kind of person who posts to say thank you or to offer hugs, then by no means let reactions stop you doing that. But if you're not that kind of person, reactions might be a way for you to contribute when you wouldn't otherwise - adding more support and interaction to the community overall. :)

A really good example of the effectiveness of reactions is in the hugs thread, or on threads that don't have many replies. The hugs thread is full of support in the form of reactions, where before it was mostly one-way posting with some replies here and there. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's probably safe to say that thread feels more supportive now than it did before. And now, even if a post gets little or no responses because people don't know what to say, the OP can feel some support and acknowledgement from the community through reactions.

There are pretty clear benefits to reactions from a community management perspective, but that's not to say they can't be done badly. We don't want their meanings to overlap so each reaction needs to be well-defined, and obviously we don't want them to replace a response so it's important to keep them basic. Plus, they need to be reactions people actually use. These are the things we're thinking about and it's useful to see that kind of feedback here.

Also, there can be 'sides' to every debate and that's okay. As long as we stick to discussion points and things don't become personal, it's good to have these conversations. Disagreements usually mean we reach the best outcome for everyone in the end. :)

Thanks everyone, and do vote if you haven't already!

Mike & the team

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I agree. I really like the hugs reactions. (Apart from the times you get lots of views but no respond you think people don't even wanna click on a button). 

And yeah i like the hugs button too. But to just make it clearer what you just said - you're saying people may just not bother to say thanks without that reaction there?
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Looks like keeping it is our most popular option!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I guess going to keep it. Which yeah fair enough if people want it. 

I just want to finally say -  it looks like it is there because no one would bother to say thanks otherwise & sounds like thats the reason it's there too. & I appercated people with a thanks/thank you without that reaction.  

If I want to say thanks, I would, even if that reaction wasn't there. :)
    but is what it is. Bit pointless but oh well. I don't think many see from my point of view which is fine :)
  • Options
    TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Shaunie said:
    But to just make it clearer what you just said - you're saying people may just not bother to say thanks without that reaction there?
    Potentially, @Shaunie, but it's difficult to know what people don't post. :tongue:

This is one of the things we're looking at - whether, overall, people are less likely to express gratitude without it. It might be that they're not, and if so, it's a pretty pointless reaction. If it's a yes, then it serves more of a purpose. How popular it is and whether it's well-used is also a factor.

Soon, we'll be looking at the vote and feedback from the community and weighing that up with our perspective as staff to decide what makes most sense overall.

Shaunie said:
    I just want to finally say -  it looks like it is there because no one would bother to say thanks otherwise & sounds like thats the reason it's there too. & I appercated people with a thanks/thank you without that reaction. 
    This is good feedback though and you're not the only one who feels this way. We want to make sure we hit a good middle ground whenever there's a split of opinion so we will keep this in mind. :)

Mike & the team
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • Options
    Ah okay I see what you mean. I don't feel like I need a prompt to show gratitude or say thanks. But I see what you're saying - that some people do. I see the benefits of other reactions - makes it more interactive & feel like more contributed but we should be able to say things like thanks ourselves so it kinda looks weird. & yeah think that's the last of my opinion on that lol Hope was helpful 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    If you are gonna get rid of one reaction, makes sense to get rid of them all and just have everyone write out "hugs" or "agree" in posts instead. 
    This is just extremely frustrating as I feel like I'm being judged and disliked for wanting to keep a reaction I like and do use. I use it because it's polite. I use it because I don't want to Spam the hug thread or my own threads with "thanks" comments and then lose the actual comments that matter like the support.. having everyone write thanks in the hug thread will just clog up pages and people can't offered support if they miss posts due to it being spammed with thanks replies. 

Threads will become more about balancing out thank you comments against comments of support.
    Instead of focusing on support.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    No ones being disliked for their opinion. its okay for people to disagree

hugs and and agree are completly different to thanks. In my opinion.  We say thanks in our everyday life - we can say that more stiaght forward ourselves. We shouldnt need prompting to be poilet.
    The thanks reaction hasnt existed for ages - ive never seen spams of "thanks".
    With threads - someone replies - nearly everytime i say thanks and then carry on with what i wanna say. Never seen as spam. I get whatbyou say with the hugs thread - say someone says hugs to everyone - we dont all nessicaly need to comment "thank you" some things can be actknowdlgeded without saying thanks.
     Spam is unwanted content - thanks doesnt seem unwanted imo. It seems welcoming and people showing gratitue
    I just imagine facebook adding a thanks reactions and people being like "wtf i do not need prompting to say thanks".
    Reactions are things like hugs & agreeing is a reaction - saying thanks isnt a reaction its something we should say. 
    Not that i would be ungrateful if someone put thanks reaction to me. But just dont see point of it existing

But yeah now i have said everything i need to say lol
  • Options
    Hugs aren't a reaction. It's an action. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Imo thats a similar thing as far as the internet goes. Reactions (in my opinion) is what we think or do. Like hugs or  'oh thats 'insightful' 'i agree' 'liking it' 'loving' 'laughing' and all those facebook ones. And more of a one you think and react - and yeah of corse you can say it too. But a thanks is not a reaction of what you think or do - its what you say. But yeah i apprecate your opinion too
  • Options
    When is the vote going to end? Just curious as it's been a little while now
  • Options
    GreenTea said:
    When is the vote going to end? Just curious as it's been a little while now
    I think the vote has ended. They Said would see. I think theyd just probs leave it for now then delete it later once realise it shouldnt exist & realise  that we are fully capable for saying thanks
  • Options
    Well it was voted to keep so they won't delete it :) it's fine. If most people want it. We should keep it 
  • Options
    You don't have to use it, but others do!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Deleted cause Doesnt actually matter lol
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,630 Legendary Poster
    As I said before, I would definitely continue to use this reaction if it is kept. But that doesn’t mean everyone has to and it would probably entirely depend on the situation whether I typed a thanks or used the reaction - just as I do with agree. Sometimes if it’s a discussion between a few people and I agree with a particular post in the discussion I use the reaction, whereas if I agree in general with one post and have more to say about it I will probably post it (I know that doesn’t make sense haha). 

I, like many of us, remember a time pre-reactions and, certainly on long threads like the rant thread and hugs thread, it often felt sort of one-sided and I often wondered if anyone even read what I had posted if they didn’t reply - and I was certainly guilty of reading a post, not having time to reply in that moment, and then forgetting to reply at all. Reactions mean that the long threads are more interactive and, simply put, they are just sometimes more convenient than writing a response.

Also pre-reactions, threads were often full of posts simply saying ‘thanks’, ‘agreed’ or ‘*hugs*’. There’s nothing wrong with saying these things, but I often found that it made threads longer and therefore less likely to read all of them if you get what I mean - and I like to read the whole thread before replying so I can have full context. 

So overall I find all the reactions helpful, including the thanks one. But it wouldn’t stop me responding if I felt a post or posts needed it. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
This discussion has been closed.