Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Feel like past may be repeating itself in new area.

L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
So before I’ve said before I moved due to >I had teenagers harrased and be physical. Now it’s been a few months and after yesterday I feel exactly how I did before I moved as competley different teenagers decided to follow me till (I purposely took turnings to make sure they were defiently following and to not reveal my home address which they were and then another cyclist got involved. They made up a lie to avoid getting in trouble and then went off. I was pretty much scared and afraid yesterday (especially as now a days teenagers tend to have knives with them I don’t know if this lot did or not) but the thing is becuse I had a similar thing happen before I moved which carried on for a couple of years and a feel like I can’t cope to the point I have a habit of eating too much and therefor don’t control my type 1 diabeties as I know it’s always going to be high which then also makes me result into minor crime like damaging cars bikes which is why when things happen to me I never get police involved because I have a fear that they won’t believe me becuse they’ve been involved in the past (never to point of court or arrest). The thing is I’m worried that the teenagers are going to end up following me again tommorow. (I was very quite at my volunteering today due to yesterday and didn’t see them as luckily I get public transport)  or worse end up getting arrested which would then affect me finding jobs etc..  I don’t know how to deal with that. 

I dont even want to go to my 2nd volunteering  even though I’ve kind of been offered a job their and then town as I’m worried that they’ll end up following me on way back as it’s only on a afternoon.
I also want to meet my friends around town at weekend but I feel like I don’t want to go out. Due to yesterday. 

Sorry for long rant but I just feel like I can’t cope. 

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey @L100

I'm really sorry to hear about this. It sounds like what the teenagers are doing is affecting you a lot :( It's not okay for people to act like that. A couple of years ago, I had some kids around the area picking on me a bit, and even though it was nothing major it was making me nervous to go out.

I just wondered if you think it may help to laugh when they harass you? That's how I drove those kids I mentioned away, and when they're just being bullies it can be effective.

If the situation seems more serious though, and they could be carrying knives or are trying to hurt you, your priority is to keep yourself safe <3 Long-term, telling the police sounds like a good idea, but I also really get your concern about doing that.

Short-term, is there anyone who could be with you when you're out? Or can you mostly stay on busy paths? Another thing could be to carry pepper spray or a large book, just in case of needing to defend yourself.

Let us know how today was, if you like. I understand how you're feeling this way. We're always here to support you x

Sending love and hugs,
    Kathleen <3
  • L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    Thanks. To be honest I have a fear of police and knew I should over come this especially becuse I got a job offer and a job interview tommorow.  In the unlikely event of something like shoplifting or robbery or even just a fight that gets out of hand. Then you would have to get police involved and you can be scared in a work place. So today I had another incident however police caught up to me and asked. I just explained my side and they listened even though the other side said something completely different. So I overcame my fear. I also told my mum who passed the recent issues onto a officer we’ve known for a couple of years. 
    I think me being confident in my actual volunteering has been making me a lot more confident talking to people in real life I never used to.
    Still having a couple of incidents. I’m also thinking of other ideas annoyingly my bike camera keeps falling off the handelbar mount (so I haven’t been recording at the time of previous incidents)  but I have helmet and  a chest mount perhaps if I use this and so perhaps if i use one of these especially the chest mount. Is it possible to put people off if their aware your recording? 
    (I know before when i was recording on my handlebars before it kept coming off. Drivers are a lot more aware and careful. So perhaps this would also put the people off being annoying and stupid or at least if they are I have it on recording) 
    edited May 2019
    Hey @L100

I'm really sorry to hear about this. It sounds like what the teenagers are doing is affecting you a lot :( It's not okay for people to act like that. A couple of years ago, I had some kids around the area picking on me a bit, and even though it was nothing major it was making me nervous to go out.

I just wondered if you think it may help to laugh when they harass you? That's how I drove those kids I mentioned away, and when they're just being bullies it can be effective.

If the situation seems more serious though, and they could be carrying knives or are trying to hurt you, your priority is to keep yourself safe <3 Long-term, telling the police sounds like a good idea, but I also really get your concern about doing that.

Short-term, is there anyone who could be with you when you're out? Or can you mostly stay on busy paths? Another thing could be to carry pepper spray or a large book, just in case of needing to defend yourself.

Let us know how today was, if you like. I understand how you're feeling this way. We're always here to support you x

Sending love and hugs,
    Kathleen

Also the only thing i count as a suitable weapon are your fists/feet and in worse scenarios keys and isn’t pepper spray a offensive weapon?  And I’ve been avoiding busy areas due to a lot of crimes happening around those roads I cycle through recently. As I said on previous post I’m also going try a different mount for my bike camera as hopefully it’ll either stop since they’ll know I have a camera or If they continue I can pass it onto police. 
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey @L100

I think it's definitely possible to put people off with recording. It could be worth a try, if you want to do that <3

Also the only thing i count as a suitable weapon are your fists/feet and in worse scenarios keys and isn’t pepper spray a offensive weapon?  And I’ve been avoiding busy areas due to a lot of crimes happening around those roads I cycle through recently. As I said on previous post I’m also going try a different mount for my bike camera as hopefully it’ll either stop since they’ll know I have a camera or If they continue I can pass it onto police. 

Oh, gosh, sorry... Lol. I googled it and it looks like it might be. I see a lot of American stuff, so maybe it's legal over there but not in the UK, or something. That's interesting, ignore my stupidity :)

Take care <3
    Kathleen
    Hey @L100

I think it's definitely possible to put people off with recording. It could be worth a try, if you want to do that <3

Oh, gosh, sorry... Lol. I googled it and it looks like it might be. I see a lot of American stuff, so maybe it's legal over there but not in the UK, or something. That's interesting, ignore my stupidity :)

Take care <3
    Kathleen
    Thanks and lol. It’s not stupidity. Just a normal mistake 
    ill try recording