Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Prom dress dilemma

pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
Hi everyone,

So I’m going to my old school’s prom in 2 weeks as my friend’s plus one (I left a year early) and I’ve got this gorgeous navy lace dress. Only problem is, it’s really tight on the hips (don’t know if it’s me or the style of dress) and I don’t want to be uncomfortable on the night or worry about it splitting every time I sit down. I’ve tried it on with shapewear and it made no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do seeing as the “backup” dress I’ve found isn’t the best quality and I want to look good? It’s not going to be possible to let it out by unpicking stitching or anything like that, my mum already looked at it.

Random but can’t think what I should do!

Pumpkin 

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster

This sounds exciting :) I hope you have a great time at the prom.

Have you got the money to buy a new dress? Or maybe you've got a friend/relative who could lend you something?

I also hear that you can't unpick the stitching... I don't suppose the fabric could be stretched? - possibly just by walking around in it, or here's an article on stretching clothes just in case it's helpful.

Kathleen <3

• pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Thanks @kathleen0172

My mum bought my original dress (which was discounted when I bought it) but I don’t know if she’d buy me another one, especially as the one I’m considering as a replacement (not the backup one I mentioned before) is quite expensive. None of my friends really wear dresses and I don’t have any relatives the same age/size as me (or ones that would be willing to lend me something!) 

I had already thought about walking around in it, so thanks for letting me feel relieved that’s not a bad idea. Not sure about stretching it though since it’s quite delicate.

Thanks again!

Pumpkin