Home Work & Study It's Exam Time The Class of The Past
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Exam stress is controlling me

davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
edited April 2021 in The Class of The Past
Today, I had an four hour science practical exam which went relatively well it just what happened before. 

When I woke up in the morning at my normal annoying time of 7am (that's just my body clock, not much I can do with that) and I had an stomach pain, i never had breakfest because I had an inr test in the morning and I had to leave to make it to school on time, I had an headache all morning and generally felt like crap,

When it actually got to the exam, I had an breakdown right before it and then another one during the break and felt like the walls was moving, 

I really don't know what's caused this because with my GCSE I was stress and axtious but not this bad.

Anyone got an advice will be much loved 
Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
Post edited by Emma_ on

Comments

• Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Ah I'm really sorry to hear that @davcr0ck

I always get stomach pain when I'm anxious before something big (a test when I was younger, and big meetings nowadays!)  I think it's a symptom of anxiety. What I've started trying to do is to focus on my breathing, slow, while thinking about what I'm going to do to unwind after the thing. I don't know if that might help but hopefully others will have some ideas too!

- Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster

I can hear how stressed you're feeling <3

I'm glad the exam went relatively well. Sounds like the run-up to it really sucked:(

I've heard that one tip on dealing with anxiety and stress is to change your posture to make it more relaxed. Take slow breaths, close your eyes, relax your muscles. I find that can be hard, but it can sometimes tell your brain that there's nothing to be afraid of, which in turn can make you feel calmer. It's helped me before. And always remember you've got our support. Have you got any coping mechanisms that are useful to you, at all?

Take it easy. Sending hugs if you'd like them <3
  • Options
    Hey @kathleen0172

I listern to music an lot as an copping method but someone that doesn't work (like when I went to oxford by myself and ended having an panic attack in Oxford and punched a police officer which was trying to help me but I saw him as an threat when I was in that state) and I would have my unicorns but they take up an lot of room 

I'm not really that good at relexing my muscles, I'm generally quite tense most the time, another coping method I have is I punch something but it not really that good for my hands,
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • Options
    VilJaVilJa Posts: 28 Boards Initiate
    Hi @davcr0ck

I can totally understand how stress relieving punching can be, and breathing and relaxing is surely a way to calm yourself down too, but all of us have different coping mechanisms when it comes to stress and anxiety. That is not to say that it is okay to punch people, but perhaps you could find yourself a hobby which helps you release this stress on the regular like kickboxing?

I know exams can be overwhelming but make it a point to give yourself enough breaks, and sleep enough before the night of the exam, lack of sleep and rest can also aggravate anxiety. Just remember that exams are important but not as important as your health!

Take care, and all the best for your exams!

• Options
    Hey @VilJa

it fine i won't beat up people, I've learnt from my mistakes, sadly sports like kickboxing and stuff like that im not allows to do because of my heart condition (it an pretty long list).

At the moment I just find myself crying away in the evenings whilst listening to the exact same playlist and talking to my boyfriend about something completely got nothing to do with my mood or anything i'm interested in.

i can't wait until tomorrow when i've got another exam and probably have the exact same feeling :/ 

i got home yesterday after my exam, and was so tired and i couldn't be bothered to do any of my study work that needed to be done by monday,
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    Some brilliant advice in this thread. :)

Just to add, eating something in the morning (even if it's just a yoghurt or a piece of fruit) can make a massive difference in how your brain and body perform through the day. Particularly if you've got an exam that day, it's worth grabbing something to eat on the way so your body wakes up properly - you might find you notice the difference.

How have your exams been going since you last posted here @davcr0ck?
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    hey @Mike

Funny you should mention about that, 

Tuesday exam was painfully long and tiring and lots of stupid mistakes took place

Thursday exam was saddening as I missed out 20 mark because I ran out of time, which is an 1/3 of the paper I think, so I'm definitely not getting an distinction 😂

I'm boyfriend been quite supportive, even though he's had his own mock exams as well, 

Next exam is straight after half term with the gcse English retake, so thats gonna be fun