Home Health & Wellbeing
Fill out The Mix's Annual User Survey for a chance to win a £200 Amazon voucher, to shape our services, and get closer to earning a badge!
Need support urgently? Click here

Long term health stuff

Hi guys this is my first one of these so here goes it i geuss
, basically ive been feeling really down recently because of my migraines- they are terrible i get them all the time and i cant think or talk or anything when they get bad. This makes me really anxious as im worried about these really important exams coming up and migraines make it impossible to prepare for it, im also worried that i will get one during the exam and it will make me fail. Ive had this headaches since i was little but whenever i try and talk about some type of medical solution i get told that i just have to deal with it and theres nothing i can do. I feel stupid talking about it because people have much bigger problems than me but the pain is unbelievable and i get worried about whats causing it. Idk, idk what to do it just has me feeling down and stressed. I also cant sleep with them wich is driving me insane im tired all the time.
Kathleen07lydmayoAidandavcr0ck

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,936 Taking your piece of the pi
    Hey @idk1234, and welcome bud <3

I'm really sorry to hear this. There's no need to feel stupid at all talking about it. It sounds distressing and difficult to live with:(

whenever i try and talk about some type of medical solution i get told that i just have to deal with it and theres nothing i can do.
    I just wanted to ask if that means you've seen a doctor about this? In case you haven't, I would've thought there's got to be some kind of treatment, like medicine or something.

Is there anything you've tried that helps to relieve the pain? I've heard that peppermint oil can help, also yoga.

I'm glad you've joined, and we're here to support you through this. Keep strong <3
    idk1234
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 2,153 Boards Champion
    Hey, welcome to the boards and I hope you can find what you're looking for here.

Sorry to hear about your migraines, it sounds like it must make things quite tough. Like  @kathleen0172 said have you spoken to your GP about them? Sometimes painkillers you can buy in the shops can be helpful but if they're severe and have lasted a while there may be some help medically you could get, so there's definitely something you can do about it. I'll post a link you can look at.

It's normal to feel stressed about exams, but it doesn't mean there's nothing to help cope with the stress. I found making a list of everything I had to do, all the prep and revision, and making a it of a rota helped me. It sounds difficult especially alongside migraines and sleep deprivation, I hope things get better for you <3

You don't have to feel bad about your problems because other people have it worse, we're all allowed to struggle with things and sometimes giving your problems the attention they need can help you overcome them.

Hope things get better, take care of yourself
    Aidan

Migraines
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/migraine/

Exam Stress
    https://www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/study-and-exam-tips/exam-stress-1241.html

Help Sleeping
    https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/sleep-and-tiredness/how-to-get-to-sleep/

"Do, or do not, there is no try" <(•.•)>              
  • idk1234idk1234 Posts: 3 Newbie
    @Aidan Hi thanks for the links :) and the advice on revision i' ll be sure to try that out, I've been taking nsaids like neurofen, paracetamol etc (these dont do much) and was recomended beta blockers by my neurologist but i heard these affect your mood so i dont want to go down that route. @Kathleen0172 thank you aswell, I want to get another appointment with her but would need to get another gp referral but my mum has told me she wont come with me to this so im worried my gp wont really feel inclined to do anything ( last time he went on how its normal to do with periods etc but they are Not corresponding with my cycle) i think ill try and reason with my mum though. Thankyou guys for you support, it has really helped me think all this through💕
    Kathleen07Aidandavcr0ck
    edited April 2019
    recommended beta blockers by my neurologist but i heard these affect your mood so i dont want to go down that route

It's absolutely your own choice how you manage your symptoms, but if there's an inkling that it might work you could try taking them for a while and see if it has negative side effects? Everyone is different and responds to things differently. If you can't do with possible negative side effects right now because it's a critical time with upcoming exams, maybe you could try them afterwards if you decided you want to take them?

If you're worried that your GP won't explore any other options or prescribe any treatment, you could always see them, maybe write a list of things you want to tell them, and if you're not happy with it ask them for a second opinion at the time, or book an appointment to see a different doctor later? After all, the NHS recommends 

If ordinary painkillers aren't helping to relieve your migraine symptoms, you should make an appointment to see your GP

but maybe your neurologist could help you explore your options treatment-wise too? Certain treatments can only be prescribed, it may help to try different things and find what treatment or combination of treatments works for you.

Many things contribute to migraines too, like stress, sleep deprivation, caffeine, alcohol etc. so it may help to see to what extent you can manage possible causes i.e sleep and stress might be difficult right now but is any food you eat possibly not helping etc. It's said a prevention is better than a cure, and whilst changing one aspect of your lifestyle may or may not stop migraines altogether I hope it can make them easier to manage.

You're welcome, glad you can think this through and I wish you the best <3

Aidan

More migraine links

Causes

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/migraine/causes/

Treatment

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/migraine/causes/

Prevention

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/migraine/prevention/ 

idk1234
  • idk1234idk1234 Posts: 3 Newbie
    @Aidan, thankyou so much for your help, i had a talk with my mum about diet and i am going to trial three weeks with taking certain supplements and avoiding certain foods, if this doesnt work she has agreed to take my back to the gp to try and find the cause of the problem and sort out a treatment plan.

Talking with you has been really useful-thankyou for taking time out of your day to help me :)
    Aidan
    You're welcome, I hope it goes well for you!

Take care
    idk1234