Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bedwetting as a teenager.

Hi, my name's Jack and I'm 13

As the title suggests, I still wet the bed. This is a really embarrassing problem as it's stopping me from doing things such as sleepovers at friends houses and school trips. I also occasionally (about once every 2 or 3 months) have daytime wetting accidents, this only happens in situations where a toilet isn't available, I basically have a weak bladder and can't hold on if I get desperate, I have a toilet pass at school so I'm able to get out of lessons so it's not happened there thankfully. 

I have 2 younger brothers (10 and 7) and neither of them have ever had a problem with bedwetting. They both think it's hilarious that I still wet the bed. 

I have to wear drynites to bed, I hate this because they're basically nappies and they're covered in childish images, I also use an alarm that attached to a moisture sensor  so that I'm woken me up when I wet. I hate this because it means my sleep is always interrupted and it can happen at least twice a night (normally what happens is I'll be woken up at about 3 or 4 in the morning, get changed go back to bed and wake up wet again at the time I'm supposed to wake up). I feel like I've tried just about everything and I still only have about one dry night a week.

Does anyone else have this problem. 

Comments

• Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hi

I had a bedwetting problem too. I sympathise, it's sucky :frown: I think it only properly left me some months ago. It was embarrassing for me too (and felt pretty frustrating and yucky), especially given how I seemed to be a rare case.

As I just stated, it (thank god) did go away for me if that's of any reassurance. It'll do so for you too with time, I'm sure <3 But in the meantime I know it's nasty.

I know you said you've tried just about everything - but I'm gonna check, could you be having anything that's making the problem worse? The most weird things seem to do it; I remember that a certain brand of hot chocolate seemed to worsen it for me xD It's also recommended to avoid drinking much in the evening, though you've probs tried that.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,309 Part of The Furniture
    Well done for posting about this @Jackk123. Never easy to talk about this stuff, but it's a healthy thing to do. :)

Just adding to what @kathleen0172 said, wetting the bed in your teens (or after) is SO much more common than people realise. I can't remember the statistic off the top of my head, but it's high and you're definitely not alone, it's just not many people talk about it.

Have you seen a doctor about it before? Depending on the cause, you can sometimes get medication to help. As @kathleen0172 said, the reasons can really vary. You said you've tried just about everything - what have you tried before?

We have a couple of articles on wetting the bed that could be useful:
    https://www.themix.org.uk/your-body/body-problems/im-a-teenager-and-i-still-wet-the-bed-24101.html
    https://www.themix.org.uk/your-body/body-problems/expert-chat-toilet-problems-22763.html

I hope things improve, and try not to take notice of your brothers or anyone else who gives you a hard time. It's not your fault dude, and you're trying to get help, which is the most anyone can ask of you. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    Jackk123Jackk123 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hi @Mike,

I feel like I've tried everything but nothing seems to work, I've lost count of the number of times I've seen a doctor about it, I take a drug called 
    desmopressin which is support to slow down my urine production while I sleep but this doesn't seem to work. I'm not a really deep sleeper, I know that a lot of bedwetters are as the alarms don't work on for them as they'll just sleep through it and the alarm always wakes me up. 

I've read stuff on the internet about adult bedwetting (basically people who never grow out of it) and I'm really scared that I could be one of these people. 
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,499 Skive's The Limit
    Heyy

the alarm thing may take awhile to work as training your brain. But i can imagine how this affects you socially. Imsorry dont have much advice. But its not your fault & shouldnt be embarrassed im glad youre getting help. Keep us updated if youd like
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Jackk123Jackk123 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Been trying the alarm for a while with no luck. It only seems to interrupt my sleep and make me more tired.

Last night I was sent to bed at 10 o'clock, I drifted off quite quickly and was woken up by the alarm. I looked at the clock and it was only 11.30. After I'd changed and gone back to bed I struggled to get back to sleep. I woke up dry this morning but I've been really tired for most of the day as a result.