Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Always turning down surprising things that might be good for me

raindrop96raindrop96 Posts: 19 Settling in
Lately I've noticed I get so worried when someone springs something at me that I can't focus and think about it for real before I decline, sometimes quite harshly at that. It always leaves me feeling really embarrassed and I beat myself up about it for a long time. 
Does anyone have any suggestions about how to stop doing that and remind myself to take a breather before replying so that I don't automatically decline any nice thing that might happen to me??

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Heyy. I think now youre noticing it & being more self aware. It may become easier to think before you speak. And to remind your self things can be overwhelming but you have regretted saying no in the past. It is like the saying of "feel the fear but do it anyway". You can sometimes change your mind about things too - i do alll the time & is okay

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @raindrop96

I think we all do this sometimes when we reply on impulse and it seems to come out wrong! What I try and do is say 'let me check and let you know' or something along those lines so you can think about it before replying/declining - then panic less!

- Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend