Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Happy young carers day!

LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
edited September 2019 in General Chat
Hey there :)

As some of you may know its young carers day, so i thought i'd post a bit about young carers x (sorry its late almost by a whole day aha but been swamped at college)

My i guess experienceish?/Appreciation

While i have never considered myself a young carer (was never sure if i was really one) 
there was a brief period of time where i cared for my dad, this isn't necessary and could be triggering so i'll put it in a spoiler box and you can choose to read or not :) (alcohol mention x)

My dad has off and on been abusing alcohol since i was born, he's always been getting clean and starting again. this summer was the worst we'd seen him and he was near death but they detoxed him quick enough thankfully x

He was bedridden, couldn't walk, had to be pushed in a wheelchair etc. so i spent most of my days pushing him to the toilet, making him tea, food, and dealing with falls whenever mum was at work. cleaning bedding etc. and taking him to hospital and rehab appointments.
after his detox i started college and still had to make him things as soon as i got home and on the weekends until he was more able bodied and now gets around on the walking stick but still take him to appointments in case x
From this i have honestly learnt a little about what it must be for full time young carers. imagine working alongside your studies? some young carers also juggle jobs, study, and caring. thats two full time jobs and a full time course! i really can't be more amazed at the hard work they always do. young carers have my love and appreciation for sure <3 i just wish i could give them all the hugs and support in the world xo

Little about being a young carer:
For those who don't know a young carer is generally someone under 18 who looks after someone in their family.
what some people do not know is that mental health is considered to be one.
young carers take on a great deal, and it can really take affect on them in many ways, this is a good website if you're interested: https://carers.org/about-us/about-young-carers

What to do?
So young carers are bionic, superheros. but what should we do when they are feeling down?
If you're a friend, be there for them. and please understand why they can't hang out today, why they're maybe not in a great mood. just be there and listen x the most important thing is to let them know you care, but don't act as if they're any different, they're human too and after it all, all they want is some interaction, some fun, some me time.

Some teachers and lecturers need educating on this, they need to be more understanding when they come in tired, lost, in a down mood. help them through their coursework, understand if they can't quite finish it on time.

Are you a young carer or someone who is?
If you are or know someone who is, don't hesitate to seek support, the nhs has a great webpage on help https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/support-and-benefits-for-carers/help-for-young-carers/ look for any local groups, And most importantly, look after yourself x
keep an eye on the self help thread for tips and info https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3593707/young-carers-mental-health-self-care-tips#latest
sometimes you may find there isn't time for you, but please please care for yourself too, because i do <3

To end.
I just want to say through it all young carers are amazing, but they're only human like you or i. they have feelings, and they struggle too. after all, they're caring for the people they love which can be a whole job in itself, sometimes without even a day off. appreciate their kindness, love, and good heart <3 even if they can't always meet up x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
Post edited by TheMix on
Tagged: