Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Young.. Relationships

Almist04Almist04 Posts: 22 Boards Initiate
Hey, I dont know were this site is, aperentally its a UK thing, but I am from the USA.
If you dont know me already,  I have a... Situation, were I am pretty damn starved of human contact. If any of you do live in the USA, do you know if its generally morally accepted for someone my age ( 14 ). To have a relationship with some sexual aspects. I dont want to get anyone pregnant , just things out of fun and curiosity. I can guess off of movies and some social media things, but I want to know in real life if its OK. 
Your own opinion on the topic is welcome too. Thanks for reading! Ill check back tomorrow for comments.

Comments

• Options
    ArianaAriana Posts: 193 Trailblazer
    I'm not in the USA, but I think the morals of sexual relationships are only an issue for very religious people. Are your family religious at all? For most people there is nothing morally wrong with having sexual aspects in a relationship. Just obviously play it safe and take precautions! 
  • Options
    @Ariana
    My family is actually very strictly atheist ( everyone but me ), so I am not worried about that. Its just that in the USA, young sex is a very sensitive topic. Thanks for replying anyway, it means a lot to me!
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,305 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Almist04, and a belated welcome. :)

You're right - we're a UK-based community, so the vast majority of experiences and knowledge you'll find here will be relevant to the UK. We do have a few overseas members though, so maybe someone can help with that aspect of your post.

Interestingly, I was reading something the other day about something psychologists sometimes refer to as 'skin hunger' or 'touch hunger'. Like you said, it's something we all feel - that need for physical contact. Not having it can be quite deterimental to mental health, and it's totally okay to want it, even if you're younger than your society deems 'appropriate'.

Wanting to experiment and have some sort of tactile relationship with someone is natural. Legally, to what degree that is allowed will vary from state to state depending on your age. But keep in mind that there are no laws against giving someone a hug, holding their hand or any other forms of non-sexual physical contact.

The western world (especially the USA and UK) can be incredibly frigid compared to other countries, where that kind of tactile interaction is commonplace. In most parts of mainland Europe for example, it's all hugs and kisses when you greet someone. Not saying that should be made the norm for everybody of course, but just to highlight the cultural difference (and why it seems more common to feel that 'touch starvation' in our regions than other places).

I don't know how relevant this broader point is to your question, but thought I'd throw it out there. I can't speak for American norms and perspectives, but here it's not uncommon for people to begin exploring intimate relationships at 14. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    @Mike
    Well, my point was more sexual, but thanks for the help. Ah, America is too complicated, everything has to go through some complicated chain of politics and morals. You people in the UK are lucky XD. Haha! Anyway, thanks again.
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    edited January 2019
    Hi

—wouldn’t quote me on any of this- I am not sure —
    I think in most countries the age to have sex is about 16. But think in general they have exceptions if you’re very close in age. As I remember being told that generally that if you’re both young then legally it may be okay.  As if have sexual relationship with someone who is a lot older, there are some power imbalance and can have more control. 

About it being morally acceptable can be personal opinion and I personally think that as long as is safe, and doesn’t harm others -  then do what feels comfortable. As all get these feelings at different ages. 

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    @Shaunie Yeah, I am pretty sure that is accurate. Yeah, too bad most of this information is pretty useless in the first place, because I am under a sort of house arrest, and I am not permeated to attend public school. R.I.P.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,614 Legendary Poster
    Whether it is morally right or not is based on your personal opinion and what you are comfortable with. I'm from the UK and here it's seen as quite young in general, but it's more about what you're comfortable with and whether you feel ready to have a sexual relationship. Here the age of consent is 16 (I believe it's similar in the US) but it is intended to protect young people, not to prosecute teenagers who are close in age for having consensual sex. Overall it's about what you're comfortable with. And of course, if you're having sex it's really important that you're mature about it and make sure you are using protection :)
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    @independent_ Your right, I am stressing too much over what the moral standers are. Thanks!