Home General Chat Positivity Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What is ‘recovery’ to you?

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited November 2018 in Positivity Corner

So we are all recovering from something or something at different points whether that be if you have a mental illness or not. It could be losing a job, break up, grief and something - we all need to recover at some point. And i think is good to think about what it means to us, what it looks like, so we can aim for it and what general things we will do to get there. 

For me i am recovering from trauma, depression, anorexia, BPD/EUPD and social anxiety and when i think about the word “recovery” i dont think about going back to how i was exactly before. As it even changes your view on things and you learn things. But i see it as an everyday process of learning how to manage my life a long side mental illness as well as tryin to process trauma. I want to be able to wake up and not have instant thoughts about killing myself. And be able to eat and drink without feeling completly disgusting about it. And feeling less alone & isolating myself less And just manage my life. 

And how i will get there is mostly by being positive. So im grateful of this positive area bit.  And i realise most of my suffering is from my view point of things and my perception. I read a quote that says “Life is 10% of what happens to us and 90% of how we respond” & i never really properly hear that. 

I will also try a lot of self care. Getting out of my comfort zone And start group occupational therapy soon and then after i will try couselling for rape. Also wanna try and see if going back on medication is an option. 

Personally i find being positive important — like, do you go in a shop & be negative & rude to the person behind the til & expect postive back? And thats kinda how i wanna veiw life more.

I also want to point out that even though in recovery we say a lot about “what are You going to do?”. This is not to say You are the problem and is your fault. We all need help and support, sometimes even if you dont seek it — to get where we wanna be on our lil jounery’s as the staff behind the counter/till could be completly rude and negative despite the fact you have just been lovely. As in my opinion there are somethings we cant change by ourselves. But think you cant control symtoms of your mental health but can control your life 😊

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
Tagged:

Comments

• LabraBellLabraBell Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    Recovery to me is reaching a sense of normality in my life. I don't want to be some popular person, I dont want superpowers, I dont want anything like that. I just want to be normal. Struggling with mental health makes you feel anything but normal, so recovery to me means getting past the mental health issues and being able to just be me.
    What do you mean I have to think of an intelligent signature?