Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stopping a panic attack

crossflame20crossflame20 Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for how to stop a panic attack? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here

Panic attacks are so horrible which sometimes Sophie my carer suffers, but could this be helpful to you? She found it very helpful. Print it off if you like. :)

I hope your panic attack soon passes. *Hugs*

Mandy

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Heey Crossflame   :)

Panic attacks suck, but I agree with the link Floxy has sent. Also could you try downloading a cbt app on you phone, I find them very useful, and there's loads out there. Panic attacks are often triggered by something, do you know what these triggers are? Finding out could help you control the attacks better  :)<3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I definitely agree with bubbles finding your trigger(s) can markedably help 

Grounding works best for me here's a few that I use for my daily attacks :)

1. Grounding yourself with senses.
    Get yourself in a nice comfortable position,  laid down legs on wall or elevated,  if you really feel you can't breathe from it then sit upright rested against the wall or have your pillows raised and lay against them. 
    Practice a breathing exercise, useful and simple one here: https://www.verywellmind.com/abdominal-breathing-2584115
    After you're comfortable and deep breathing you can begin with Grounding using your senses.
    Start off listing one by one either in your head or out loud (I Do find it extra helpful to talk text or call someone while doing this) with 5 things you can see. 
    4 things you can feel(
    with hands feet legs ect not any feelings in your body that will increase the anxiety)
    3 things you can hear. 

2 things you can smell.

And 1 thing you can taste. 

If this hasn't quite worked you can repeat with different answers or move on. 

Out loud speaking. 
    this sounds odd but speaking aloud be it reading, singing,  or rambling to yourself will help because you can pay attention to your voice. 
    Alternatively You can watch or listen to a YouTube video with someone who has a soothing voice to you and just focus on that,  if you enjoy ASMR that is great for it. 

Pet your well pet or someone else's.
    This is optional as it depends if you have a pet however that doesn't stop me I usually go outside and stroke the many neighbour cats or even a lovely woman down the road let's me pet her family of collies :)
    Stroke them,  talk to them ect.

You can also find a bunch of questions online to answer and by doing so you slowly being yourself back to earth and also keep your brain busy at the same time.  I'll link one x

Hope you're doing okay now :) 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    I really like using the Dare app, it doesn't stop them but it does help to wind a panic attack down until it stops on its own :) And because its an app you can use it anywhere with headphones.
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy."