Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Post of the week!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Firstly,well done to Fiend_85 for winning last week's poll and thanks to those of you that have nominated this week :d

Who's going to win TheSite.org goodies this week?

Glen Quagmire on the jubilee...
Makes me proud to be British :wave:

It's also a kick up the arse for all those idiots who say "we're not allowed to be British in case it offends someone".

Kaff puts her mod hat on...
Kaff wrote: »
I feel I must warn you, I have a toddler, so I'm experienced in handling tantrums. I'm not afraid to use my naughty step. It's one minute for each year of your life, so some of you may need a cushion :p

Girlwithsharpteeth for her advice on pregnancy...
I was convinced it was a wrong test result right until I had my first ultrasound so I think that's pretty normal. I spent ages imagining what on earth the midwife would think when when they did the scan and all that was there was a cheese pasty. It didn't feel real until I saw the baby actually bouncing around at 11 weeks, doing little flips all over the place. I'm sure that's normal - after all, all that you have to show for being pregnant right now is feeling a bit crap.

Congratulations :) I hated being pregnant until I was about 16 weeks because I just felt ill, and knackered and fat. Then I loved it until I was about 37 weeks. Then I was totally sick of it and so barge-like I had to get David to turn me over in bed in the middle of the night.

omg_hi 's thoughts on exercise and depression...
omg hi wrote: »
i think the research is quite misleading and unhelpful. the researchers studied people with clinical depression and the fact that one of the experimental groups was made up of patients on anti-depressants suggests that the sample were predominantly severely depressed individuals. it's not surprising that in such cases, exercise doesn't make much difference, because in reality hardly anything will. there aren't that many people with clinical depression who can say that their medicine or therapy 'cured' them - at best, they take the edge off it.

the following quote is particularly misleading:

"The message of this study of course is not that exercise isn't good for you, exercise is very good for you, but it's not good for treating people with what was actually quite severe depression."

the NICE guidelines do not recommend that exercise should be advised as a treatment for severe depression. they recommend exercise as an option or in combination with low-intensity cognitive behavioural-therapy for mild to moderate depression only. it is not a recommendation for moderate, severe or complex depression.

what worries me most about this research is that it might put depressed individuals off the idea of exercise. in the end the bottom line is, if a depressed person manages to do any activity then surely it is a good thing, and we have to ask, can exercise do any harm?

Post of the week! 17 votes

Glen Quagmire
0% 0 votes
Kaff
70% 12 votes
Girlwithsharpteeth
11% 2 votes
omg_hi
17% 3 votes