Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why are some people brainwashed?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why do people believe that liberal democracy should conquer all and be predominant?

Have they been reading too much Fukuyama? In my view NO political system is inherently superior to another.

Comments

• Options
    So Facism and Communism are of equal worth to Democracy?
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Of course you are entitled to your opinion , but those forms of government have shown themselves not only to be practically unworkable , they also completly eliminate the freedoms we now take for granted from our lives.

If we lived under either of those governments this conversation we are having now would be grounds to have us shipped off to the Gulag or Concentration Camp.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Of course you are entitled to your opinion , but those forms of government have shown themselves not only to be practically unworkable , they also completly eliminate the freedoms we now take for granted from our lives.

Why are these 'freedoms' necessary? They are not written in stone that they must always be in existence.
  • Options
    LOL. And you are asking about the necessity of freedoms?
  • Options
    Yes. Because people who seek to champion democracy above all other systems have been brainwashed into thinking that democracy is 'all that'.

Much of politics may be based on Western thought but try telling someone versed in Islamic political thought that democracy is grand. It's only in one's subjective view that it is.
  • Options
    Re: Why are some people brainwashed?
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Have they been reading too much Fukuyama? In my view NO political system is inherently superior to another.
    Oh yes, every single night I sit down and read Fukuyama! I haven't even heard of Fukuyama, and I am not ashamed to admit it.

Perhaps people champion liberal democracy because they have an ounce of common sense?

All you have done here is strengthen my view that you life everything you say from political theory books.
  • Options
    I don't 'life' (:)) anything from politics books.

Democracy is no better or worse than any other system. NO ONE here has given a reason as to why it should be superior.
  • Options
    Perhaps that small reason that the people are in charge of their country , and not 1 person who can do whatever he (or she) wants?
  • Options
    And that if the person in power in a democracy is not doing a good job the people have a choice to get them out of office every four years...

Sadly that wasn't the case with Hitler, Stalin, Franco, Pinochet, Hussein, etc.
  • Options
    I don't 'life' (:)) anything from politics books.

Democracy is no better or worse than any other system. NO ONE here has given a reason as to why it should be superior.
    Oh no!! I made a typo, quick someone shoot me. :rolleyes:
    Here is a reason: Other forms of government have been proven time and time again to fail, socially and economically.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Oh no!! I made a typo, quick someone shoot me. :rolleyes:
    Here is a reason: Other forms of government have been proven time and time again to fail, socially and economically.

Don't joke about being shot knowing Mono's views he'd be after you with an AK47 before you could say homicidal maniac...
  • Options

They haven't.
  • Options
    so far our liberal democracy, with it's faults and failings seems to have proved to be the best we have come up with so far, for freedom of the individual, trade and commerce, inovation etc. why do you deem no political system to be any better than any other?
    the fact i can slag my leaders off and show them the red card tells me i am living in a much better political system than i would be under say, the family of suad!
    why cannot one thing be better than another in the dark wee corner of your imagination?
  • Options
    They haven't.

Do you mean Facism , which ended up causing World War 2 , or mabye Communism , which was responsible for the death of millions in Russia and a Cold War which darkened most of the last century?

Please name the types of government that havent failed.
  • Options
    Hitler caused WWII, not fascism (Nazism is only a branch of fascist thought).
  • Options
    Facism is a term used to lump togeather various extreme right wing organisations and ideologies.

However there are some commen features to facist ideologies:

(1) an extreme form of nationalism which insisted that human beings were sub-divisions of a larger national whole which alone could give meaning to their lives.

(2) social Darwinism, which insisted that struggle between nations was natural and inevitable.

(3) the 'science' of racism, which constructed a hierarchy of races and branded some, including the Jews, as inferior.

(4) anti-positivism, the idea that human beings are motivated not by logic and reason (as the philosophers of the Enlightenment had said) but by myths, intuition and emotion (as Romantic thinkers had believed).

Read that , and then tell me that Facism is equal in any way to the Democracy we live in.
  • Options
    Well Mussolini never advocated any race hate or at the least racism was less prevalent in Mussolini's beliefs.

Tell me, have you ever studied politics? Who told you that democracy is superior?

In my mind, it's best to look at ALL political ideologies with an open mind. ALL political ideologies have flaws; only a fool would state that democracy is perfect.
  • Options
    Tell me, have you ever studied politics? Who told you that democracy is superior?
    Why must one have studied something in order to have an opinion? You seem to think that because someone studies a subject one is more versed in that subject and that their opinion is therefore more valid. Unless of course that opinion belongs to someone other than yourself, when you will consistenly contradict yourself in order to disprove the point someone else makes. However, this is moving away from the debate.....

Why does anybody have to have told him, me or anybody that democracy is "better"... why can't we have come to that conclusion by ourselves.

To steal a quote "nothing that is worth knowing can be taught"
  • Options
    Well Mussolini never advocated any race hate or at the least racism was less prevalent in Mussolini's beliefs.
    You have contradicted yourself here. You claim that Mussolini never advocated race hate, but then you go on to say that it was less prevalent.... surely it wouldn't have any degree of prevalence if it was absent?
  • Options
    Why must one have studied something in order to have an opinion? You seem to think that because someone studies a subject one is more versed in that subject and that their opinion is therefore more valid.

Of course it is. I haven't studied medicine yet my knowledge of the human body would not be as great as a doctor's. There nothing wrong in such an estimation.
    Unless of course that opinion belongs to someone other than yourself, when you will consistenly contradict yourself in order to disprove the point someone else makes. However, this is moving away from the debate.....

Why does anybody have to have told him, me or anybody that democracy is "better"... why can't we have come to that conclusion by ourselves.

To

Because that his OWN CONCLUSION. It's not absolute fact.
  • Options
    In my mind, it's best to look at ALL political ideologies with an open mind. ALL political ideologies have flaws

of course it is and of course they do. the ideas behind communism were very commendable, just didn't seem to work in real life.

In Russia at the moment, the Communist Party is set to win a majority in the next elections. If they come into power within the present shambles of a democracy that Russia has at the moment, who knows what will happen. Maybe they'll work at ridding the country of its right-wing mafia, that would be a good start!

the best form of government in any country is obviously going to be the one chosen by the majority of the people living there.
  • Options
    You have contradicted yourself here. You claim that Mussolini never advocated race hate, but then you go on to say that it was less prevalent.... surely it wouldn't have any degree of prevalence if it was absent?

I never contradict myself.

Though it's better than being a hypocrite. :lol:
  • Options
    the best form of government in any country is obviously going to be the one chosen by the majority of the people living there.

Majority? Why the majority? THAT'S the flaw in democracy.
  • Options
    I never contradict myself.

Though it's better than being a hypocrite. :lol:
    But you have shown yourself to be both on many occassions.

The incident I pointed out shows where you contradicted yourself quite clearly.

Would you be so kind as to inform us what your ideal form of government would be?
  • Options
    I'm not hypocritical at all.
  • Options
    I'm not hypocritical at all.
    I noticed that you did not in actual fact respond to the points raised in several of my own, and many other people's posts.
  • Options
    I don't need to.
  • Options
    I don't need to.
    Well don't ask questions and expect people to respond with reasoned arguments when you are not prepared to do the same.
  • Options
    I don't think so.