Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Confusing thoughts

kt95kt95 Posts: 1 Just got here
Writing this is the first time I’ll be “saying this out loud”. I’ve never self harmed but for as long as I can remember whenever I have been feeling low, the thought of “I wonder what it would feel like to self-harm has come into my mind. I don’t ever want to and I have so far been able to suppress this “curiosity”, sense of release, but it doesn’t stop the thought occurring whenever I’m feeling low. The troubling part for me now is that I feel as though their is sometimes a voice telling me to.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hi and welcome to the boards, @kt95

Having been a self-injurer until the New Year, my close friend got me to see our doctor and then she helped me through the rest. Though I never had experience of voices, I still urge you to listen to the advice of your GP and go from there. It would be dangerous to self-diagnose which is why seeing your doctor would be the best option.

Best wishes,

Mandy
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Heya

So it sounds like the self harm is becoming addictive and complusive? Sorry to hear youre struggling.

Think its great you reached out on here. Do you have anyone you can confide in - friends, parents, your go ect, who you would feel comfortable saying? I know that may sound pretty dauting but youre deserving of help if struggling.

There is always a reason behind it and whatever is causing you to self harm there are ways in which can manage it and feel better without self harming. Cause self harm doesnt really get rid of the problem. I hope you can maybe find ways to distract yourself while you get these thoughts of when youre feeling sad and reach out for support or think about why you do it in that time and if there is anything that could help instead.

Take care
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey there kt95.

I think it's perfectly natural to be worried or confused by sudden thoughts or feelings like this as I think a lot of people can end up thinking this way for various reasons. Do you know if you have any mental illnesses and are you currently seeing any medical professionals to help? You mentioned that this is the first time you've really spoken about these thoughts, is there anyone in your life you feel you perhaps could talk to about all this?

You might want to consider talking to your GP about how you're feeling as they could offer you a bunch of options of where to go from here. I hope this helps!

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • nish215nish215 Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    Hi kt95,

It's great that you haven't given into the urges to self harm, but perhaps you could also consider speaking to your GP about these thoughts that you are having or the voices you are hearing, it could make you feel so much better. Would that be an option? 

However for the time being, whenever you're feeling low and the thoughts about self-harming begin, you could try to distract yourself by doing something that relaxes you or makes you happy, like watch a TV show, talk to a friend or do your favourite hobby.