Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mood Swings

TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
Hello :wave:
I've been having problems with my mood for quite a long time now. At first everyone just put it down to hormones, but now that I'm older it doesn't really make a lot of sense for my moods to switch dramatically over the course of a day for no apparent reason. For example, today I went from being really bored and restless to the point that I was worried I was about to become completely numb, to feeling everything at once and becoming really upset and angry. :chin:

I'm supposed to call a mental health service that I was referred to by my doctor, but I'm nervous about phone calls and I've been putting it off since last month. The way the doctor described it made it sound really useless and no-one I've told seems to care about whether I access the service or not so I don't really feel very supported or encouraged. :crying:

I keep most of my thoughts and feelings to myself, sharing them with my friends and family often ends badly.

What should I do? I keep going from feeling everything at once to feeling nothing at all. :(

Comments

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,500 Skive's The Limit
    Heya @TheAprilFool

Mood swings can be so horrible and intense. How do you usually manage them?

I think everyone gets mood swings but when they’re affecting your daily life so much then is best to keep talking about it with someone.? I also get extreme mood swings but sometimes I’d still say they’re hormonal & am 19 & normal but then I also have personality disorder.

Would you be able to get someone else to ring for you? You deserve to feel supported & sometimes/lot of time - we just have to encourage ourself & a two way thing. I also get so so nervous with phone calls but once you have done it, you’ll probably feel better for it.

Take lots of care
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Shaunie wrote: »
    Heya @TheAprilFool

Mood swings can be so horrible and intense. How do you usually manage them?

I think everyone gets mood swings but when they’re affecting your daily life so much then is best to keep talking about it with someone.? I also get extreme mood swings but sometimes I’d still say they’re hormonal & am 19 & normal but then I also have personality disorder.

Would you be able to get someone else to ring for you? You deserve to feel supported & sometimes/lot of time - we just have to encourage ourself & a two way thing. I also get so so nervous with phone calls but once you have done it, you’ll probably feel better for it.

Take lots of care
    I don't usually managed them very well to be honest, I just keep everything to myself a lot of the time. When I was younger I would show my feelings to my family but it would only cause arguments, and usually when I bring up things that are bothering me people tend to just dismiss it. Sometimes I write things down, but it's hard when I don't really feel anything at all, or when everything has gone so wrong that it all just feels pointless. I'm not saying that hormones don't play a part, they probably do but at this point I'm pretty sure there's something else going on. I had some tests a while ago and nothing seemed unusual, so I don't know why I'm still struggling to get a diagnosis or help years later.

I don't think anyone else can ring for me, it's probably something I should do myself. Plus, the people I've mentioned it to don't really seem to care about whether I access the mental health service or not.

• Options
    Oh that’s really frustrating:( have you thought about changing doctors or something?

I hope it helps to write how you feel on here!

I understand is horrible & a v lonely place - when someone dismisses how you feel. Some people just don’t really understand & guess can be frustrating cause they care but dunno how to help or think they may say the ‘wrong’ thing & maybe is why they dismis it, But I’m sure your family care though?

Sometimes explaining to someone on how it affects you or what you do - rather than how you feel can make them understand too. If you dunno how to explain. Like sometimes I dunno how I feel but telling my gp I can rarely get out of bed & I self harm - helps them understand how I feel. If that makes sense? Then maybe is a step into thinking about why aswell? I dunno

Maybe you could make a time you want to ring the service? And maybe write down exactly/roughly -what you want to say. And maybe that could motivate you? Sometimes that helps me.

Every body matters. And how you feel is important.

😊
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    MochanMochan Posts: 65 Boards Initiate
    Hi @TheAprilFool. I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing problems with your mood for a long time. It must be tough but you've taken a good step by sharing on this forum and being proactive about finding a way to manage the situation. Talking with friends and family can be difficult, especially if the haven't been as receptive to your experience. Is there some way that you could commit to making the phone call by setting up something really enjoyable to do afterwards? What do you enjoy doing or look forward to? It might be a good way to make the call less daunting.

There's also an article on The Mix that you may find helpful: ​http://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/looking-after-yourself/understanding-mood-swings-6286.html

You should be really proud of the steps you've taken so far and if you do commit to a time when you're going to make the call, but don't follow through, try not to be too hard on yourself.
  • Options
    Oh that’s really frustrating:( have you thought about changing doctors or something?

I hope it helps to write how you feel on here!

I understand is horrible & a v lonely place - when someone dismisses how you feel. Some people just don’t really understand & guess can be frustrating cause they care but dunno how to help or think they may say the ‘wrong’ thing & maybe is why they dismis it, But I’m sure your family care though?

Sometimes explaining to someone on how it affects you or what you do - rather than how you feel can make them understand too. If you dunno how to explain. Like sometimes I dunno how I feel but telling my gp I can rarely get out of bed & I self harm - helps them understand how I feel. If that makes sense? Then maybe is a step into thinking about why aswell? I dunno

Maybe you could make a time you want to ring the service? And maybe write down exactly/roughly -what you want to say. And maybe that could motivate you? Sometimes that helps me.

Every body matters. And how you feel is important.

😊
    Hi @Shaunie. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

This was my first time going to this doctors practice, since I moved to uni and it was recommended to me by a friend. I could ask to see a different doctor next time. I didn't even go there asking for help, I just want confirmation on whether or not I have a mental illness because I've been wondering about it for years now.

Writing things down does help a bit, but sometimes I get frustrated because I keep opening up to people and it feels like I'm just going around in circles.

I'm sure my family care about me, but they don't take most of the things I say seriously. They don't take any interest in how I really feel or what they can do to help. I've said before that I really need their support and encouragement, but nothing really changes.

I try to explain how things affect me. I've become more open with telling doctors and counsellors that I've been having thoughts of suicide and self-harm. I've admitted that there are days when I can't get out of bed to even eat or drink. If anyone was willing to talk to me for longer than a ten minute session, I'd also tell them about how my problems have affected my education, my relationships, and just about everything else.

I need to get a better idea of what I want to say to the mental health service, so writing it down might help. I've tried to call them once but I couldn't get an answer.
  • Options
    Mochan wrote: »
    Hi @TheAprilFool. I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing problems with your mood for a long time. It must be tough but you've taken a good step by sharing on this forum and being proactive about finding a way to manage the situation. Talking with friends and family can be difficult, especially if the haven't been as receptive to your experience. Is there some way that you could commit to making the phone call by setting up something really enjoyable to do afterwards? What do you enjoy doing or look forward to? It might be a good way to make the call less daunting.

There's also an article on The Mix that you may find helpful: ​http://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/looking-after-yourself/understanding-mood-swings-6286.html

You should be really proud of the steps you've taken so far and if you do commit to a time when you're going to make the call, but don't follow through, try not to be too hard on yourself.
    Hi @Mochan.
    I've been trying to call at least once a day but I can't get through and even if I did I'm worried that the service won't be very helpful. Even the way the doctor described them made them sound terrible. I try to do something I enjoy but I'm too stressed to do anything right now because I'm working during the holidays and uni is putting a lot of pressure on me.
  • Options
    It’s great you tried to call them! Have you still had no luck with ringing them?

How are you feeling now ? I am glad you feel able to telll others you’re getting thoughts of suicide and self harm and be so open with them!

Is there a way you can feel less stressed or less pressure with uni or work? Stress can really affect us. And self care and breaks from it are always needed. I hope you’re okay
  • Options
    It’s great you tried to call them! Have you still had no luck with ringing them?

How are you feeling now ? I am glad you feel able to telll others you’re getting thoughts of suicide and self harm and be so open with them!

Is there a way you can feel less stressed or less pressure with uni or work? Stress can really affect us. And self care and breaks from it are always needed. I hope you’re okay
    I haven't managed to get through yet. I'm hoping I'll be able to call more next week now that I'm settled into uni again. I find that making sure I write things on my calendar, create schedules, and give myself a list of things to do each day can be helpful. I've been doing pretty well recently because I've been enjoying the nice weather after submitting my assignment.
  • Options
    nish215nish215 Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    Hey TheAprilFool,

I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with your emotions and feelings right now but it's great that you've asked for help from your GP and that you've tried to call up the service! Even if it is not the best of places to look for help, it could be encouraging to know you've put yourself out there, out of your comfort zone to seek help.

You mentioned how you like to write things down on your calendar etc. Perhaps you could also write down how your feeling too and get a few things off your chest, would that be an option? Writing down your feelings may help you come to terms with your emotions and can even be stress reliever. Of course, here at the Mix we're always here to listen and talk too if you need us. :)

-Nish
  • Options
    nish215 wrote: »
    Hey TheAprilFool,

I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with your emotions and feelings right now but it's great that you've asked for help from your GP and that you've tried to call up the service! Even if it is not the best of places to look for help, it could be encouraging to know you've put yourself out there, out of your comfort zone to seek help.

You mentioned how you like to write things down on your calendar etc. Perhaps you could also write down how your feeling too and get a few things off your chest, would that be an option? Writing down your feelings may help you come to terms with your emotions and can even be stress reliever. Of course, here at the Mix we're always here to listen and talk too if you need us. :)

-Nish
    Hi @nish215,
    I have a mood tracker that allows me to write down my thoughts and feelings throughout the day, and I also spend some time writing stuff down on paper if I feel the need to rant or I'm trying to figure out my emotions. The Mix has also been a great way to get things off my chest so I really appreciate the support. :)
  • Options
    Hi [USER="102505"]nish215[/USER],
    I have a mood tracker that allows me to write down my thoughts and feelings throughout the day, and I also spend some time writing stuff down on paper if I feel the need to rant or I'm trying to figure out my emotions. The Mix has also been a great way to get things off my chest so I really appreciate the support. :)

Thats a great healthy way of coping! Some find quite hard to say how theyre feeling and what not so its great you do. And theres always someone here to listen to you about anything. Hope youre enjoying your weekend!
  • Options
    nish215nish215 Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    Hi @nish215,

Hey TheAprilFool,

It's really great to hear that you have these healthy ways of coming to terms with your feelings, anyway, how have you been feeling lately? Has your mood improved from the last time?
  • Options
    Hi guys. Sorry that I haven't really been on the boards recently. I haven't been able to check in as often since I started back at uni. I had exams to study for, and when they were over I got sick for a while. Hopefully I should be more active again soon :D