Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Arnie for governor

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Arnold Schwarzenegger has confirmed he is going to stand as a republican candidate for the position of governor of California. It'll be interesting to see where this leads. In the film Demolition Man (set in the future), there was mention of a "Schwarzenegger presidential library". Will he end up going all the way to the top?

Comments

• Options
    I admit the electorate of the US makes some pretty retarded choices quite often, but if California is stupid enough to elect Arnie (when they have a fiscal crisis of an order that requires someone who knows wtf they doing) then id welcome the earthquake that separated them from the rest of the country once and for all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    I admit the electorate of the US makes some pretty retarded choices quite often, but if California is stupid enough to elect Arnie (when they have a fiscal crisis of an order that requires someone who knows wtf they doing) then id welcome the earthquake that separated them from the rest of the country once and for all.

Off topic - does anyone know the name of that movie where Los Angeles (maybe all of California) is separated from the rest of the US and they put all the criminals in there and you can only get to it from a tunnel under the sea, it's set in the future.

On topic - They voted in Ronald Reagan as governor before and voted Clint Eastwood in as Mayor of Carmel in the 1980s so I'd say given that track record he probably will get it. Although President Bush doesn't want him to get it because it damages his chances of getting California's electoral college votes in the next Presidential election if the electorate can blame the Republicans for the current state of California - or to be more accurate if they can't take out their anger on the Democrats by giving Bush their electoral college votes because the anger would obviously have gone if they'd got rid of Governor Davis.
  • Options
    Who's to say Arnie isn't a good businessman.

He was a millionaire at age 22 and he's done well ever since.

He seems to be a good family man and I've never heard of any real scandal about him.

Also we don't really have to worry about him taking bribes as he has enough money as it is and it could be said that the fact he can't run for president because he wasn't born in the USA will mean that he can fully focus on doing a good job in California rather then using it as a steppingstone towards the whitehouse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    Off topic - does anyone know the name of that movie where Los Angeles (maybe all of California) is separated from the rest of the US and they put all the criminals in there and you can only get to it from a tunnel under the sea, it's set in the future.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0116225

Escape from LA with Kurt Russell
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0116225

Thanks DG - knew you'd know! :thumb: BTW you live near me I think. :wave:
  • Options
    arnoldeggandbaconburger for president! how the fuck can anyone take american politics seriously?
    he is known to have nazi beliefs is he not?
    and having tons of money seems to lead to corruption not lessen it!
  • Options
    Go on Arnie i say :thumb:

He wants to make a difference somewhere...movie star as well...wonder about T4 :chin:
  • Options
    i kind of live in a dream world where politicians understand social issues and economics ...economics being a very complex thing. international realties also helps a great deal ...
    the politics of personality is worrying enough without the politics of stardom and fame and popularity coming into it as well ...vry disturbing.
  • Options
    frank zappa was another possibility ...thank fuck he's dead!
  • Options
    Just because he isn't a
    'smart arse I know it all, let's blind them with talking crap politician'
    doesn't mean that we won't do a good job.
    I'm supporting Arnie, go for it!
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer

Follow up to Escape from New York. He played Snake Pliskin (or something), and it worries me that I remember that, because I also remember that they were crap films.

On topic: Surely the role of Govenor requires decision making. His advisors should be there to point him in the right direction. To be honest I don't care whether he gets the job or not. Until he runs for president it really doesn't affect me too much...
  • Options
    Arnie wasn't born in the US so he can't be President.

What are his politics anyhow?
  • Options
    He's a rabid Bush supporter and a gung ho Republican. Strangely enough he's married to a Kennedy.
  • Options
    I'd say Arnie is one of the better candidates for the job - others include the little guy from Different strokes and countless others.

In the end whoever gets the job isn't going to do all the Donkey work themselevs - they simply steer others in what they believe is the right direction.
  • Options
    Yes but what are his views on specific issues?
  • Options
    And with the state budget in bankruptcy, Arnold is nowhere near qualified to turn things around. Hell go try to find any Arnie campaign website and all youll find is his homepage which talks more about his film than it does about any comcrete platform upon which he expects to be judged a credible candidate.

Let him stay in Hollywood making his lame grade D action films, California is in enough of a mess without him aggravating the situation further.

Besides which, this whole recall is yet another Republican underhanded trick seeking to pin the blame for the budget crisis on Gray Davis when in reality the fault lies with the refusal of the Republican-majority state senate to ratify the budget on time.
  • Options
    I don't know anything about his political views but have heard elsewhere that he's actually quite liberal when it comes to homosexuality, welfare, etc. Any truth in this Clan?

Point being that if the Republicans are going to win the election anyway, better him than a god-bothering, ultra right-wing, gay bashing, single-mother hating, welfare-cutting Dubya clone.

Still, I'd much rather the Republicans lose the election altogether.
  • Options
    Id tell you, Al, if it were possible to find any site which actually outlined his political platform. I just find the whole subject of an Arnie candidature to be laughable.

What would he use as his slogan for his re-election bid if he did win this election? "I'll be baaaack"?

...please! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Just an added thought...

He's probably only running because he thought they were asking him to do a sequel to "Total Recall". :lol:
  • Options
    Oh, I wouldn't give him any second thoughts as a serious politician. I had just read that as Republicans go he could be much worse.

Still, with his father being a card-carrying Nazi and all that I kind of wonder what his political views really are.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Still, with his father being a card-carrying Nazi and all that I kind of wonder what his political views really are.

:no: Dear me...

Would people be tempted to vote for him because of his 'celebrity' status?

What's the address for his campaign website?
  • Options
    Thats just it, he doesnt have any proper campaign website.

The only thing I found was his own commercial homepage Schwarzenegger.com or somesuch rubbish.
  • Options
    I'm searching and all I can find are news stories about it.

No official campaign website? What is Arnie doing? He's the got the money for a full-blown campaign.
  • Options
    Incidentally, the media can't get enough clichés about this.

Even the Guardian has joined in, speaking of 'Total Recall' in California elections and Arnie becoming a 'Governator' and ‘terminating’ the Democrats’ hopes.

Others are of course asking "Will he be back?"
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Incidentally, the media can't get enough clichés about this.

Even the Guardian has joined in, speaking of 'Total Recall' in California elections and Arnie becoming a 'Governator' and ‘terminating’ the Democrats’ hopes.

Others are of course asking "Will he be back?"

It is so absurd you have to laugh though. And make absurdly bad clichés, which are in endless supply.
  • Options
    Indeed, it is laughable.

Now all he needs to do is a find a woman named Sarah Connor to be his Campaign Manager. lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Indeed, it is laughable.

Now all he needs to do is a find a woman named Sarah Connor to be his Campaign Manager. lol.

:lol: I bet he's searching right now.

I'm just remembering all the films he's done, anyone remember Junior? hehe.
  • Options
    Ah that inspires a new thought, perhaps if he's elected he'll appoint his twin brother, Danny Devito, to be his Deputy Governor! lol.

With films such as Other People's Money to his credit, Devito should be a shoe in for a Republican nomination himself.
  • Options
    I heard Bruce Willis was a staunch supporter of Bush and the war *sighs*. Perhaps he can join Arnie's team as well.
  • Options
    the worlds sixth largest economy is in trouble and this guy might get the job ...it's frightening. the whole of american politics is frightenening. he might have been in some exciting films but please ...only lassie has had less dialogue.
    it's like voting one of the spice girls or liam gallagher to be prime minister of england. get fucking real please ....