Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

a new religion?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
why don't gays start their own religion when they are obviously not welcome in the church of england or the popes lot?

Comments

• Options
    Re: a new religion?
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    why don't gays start their own religion when they are obviously not welcome in the church of england or the popes lot?

Because most gays are sensible enough to know religions a load of bollocks anyway? Doesn't matter anyway, I reckon they'll be in the Church of England in the next 10 years despite the recent furore as America's just done it and if they with their more anti-gay attitude can do, we can. I reckon a new Pope or two down the line should drag the Catholics into the 21st century - most Catholics I know ignore the bits of the religion they don't like anyway.
  • Options
    Christians are a funny and comical bunch.

They say homosexuality is 'wrong' because the Bible says so. But they still eat shellfish even though 'the Bible' states in wrong to do so. :lol:

Jesus himself stated that Christians shouldn't own property. But there is probably NO Christian who does not own anything!!
    :lol:

Oh yes, and the Bible condones slavery. So can I have the 'right' to own people since the 'Bible' says I can? :lol:

Jesus never stated he was the 'Son of God' anyhow. He was probably just a man.

As for people picking and choosing from the Bible, well technically ALL Christians do that, as I have stated above. I must admit Liberal Christianity has more of an appeal than 'conservative' Christianity.
  • Options
    a new religion...based on what mroll? promoting gayness....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    a new religion...based on what mroll? promoting gayness....
    i aint a clue mate ...just seems odd wanting to join something that doesn't believe in YOU as it were.
    and mono ...i actualy agree with you for once!
  • Options
    i can't actualy believe anyone wants to join the catholic or proestant religions let alone gays!
  • Options
    I have been a member of the catholic community since i've been born, it's a strong thing in my family...the church and God..strectching back generations.
  • Options
    Probably 99% of people who go to church don't live completly according to the bible yet they are still allowed to go to church.
    Pretty poor form by God, didn't he think that when he created man that future a Adam might like Steve rather than Eve!
  • Options
    it's a strong thing in my family...the church and God..strectching back generations.
    which god? the protestant one which says there is no trinity or the catholic one that says there is? the god of the bible says don't be called father ...in a spiritual sense ...don't make religous idols of wood and stone etc ...don't pray to anyone but god through christ ...are you praying to plaster saints and some virgin who had about 6 kids by normal means? which version of god is strong in your family? if there is a god then is the real one in your family or a virtual one created by religion?
  • Options
    I have been a member of the catholic community since i've been born, it's a strong thing in my family...the church and God..strectching back generations.

There is no God.

The Bible is self-contradictory. Why would Jesus say that owning property is wrong when details about owning property are given in the Old Testament?
  • Options
    Hats off to you mate. Only you could manage to turn a theological discussion into a 'property rights' issue. :D

There is more to life than 'rights', individual freedoms, property and so on. Should we talk about sex or football for a change? ;)
  • Options
    A whole new religion ...
    I'll be your religion, a fallen star that you cannot live without.
    I'll feed your obsession.
    This thing you'll never doubt.
    Bow down to me. Bow down to me.

;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Jesus himself stated that Christians shouldn't own property. But there is probably NO Christian who does not own anything!!
    :lol:

Support this with evidence please.

Originally posted by monocrat Oh yes, and the Bible condones slavery. So can I have the 'right' to own people since the 'Bible' says I can? :lol: [/B]

support this with evidence please.

Originally posted by monocrat Jesus never stated he was the 'Son of God' anyhow. He was probably just a man. [/B]

support this with evidence please.
  • Options
    Touched a nerve, huh? :lol:
  • Options
    Christians are a funny and comical bunch.

I'm sure they'd say the same about you mono :p
    They say homosexuality is 'wrong' because the Bible says so. But they still eat shellfish even though 'the Bible' states in wrong to do so.

In the Old Testement it says what it does about shellfish and it's really hebrews who live by that book, hence they also aren't supposed to eat pork because pigs are scavangers. Some meats are simply seen as unclean.

As for homosexuality, again it says so in the Old Testement that sodomisers go to hell, man shall not lie next to man ect. which I think is mentioned in Revelations too... but Christians should follow the life of Christ and use his teachings, not God's. I mean Mary magdeline was a prostitute :yes:

Where the fuck did the Bible say that? Some backup maybe? Or a reference.

Oh yes, and the Bible condones slavery. So can I have the 'right' to own people since the 'Bible' says I can?

Again, where does it say that? yes, there are slaves in the Bible, mentioned in Exodus where Moses sends plagues to the Pharo until he lets the slaves go. Um... where are you getting your sources from kid? :lol:
    Jesus never stated he was the 'Son of God' anyhow. He was probably just a man.

Wait... he did know he was the son of God! When he was on the cross he asked "father, why have you forsaken me?" He wouldn't have asked that otherwise.
    As for people picking and choosing from the Bible, well technically ALL Christians do that, as I have stated above. I must admit Liberal Christianity has more of an appeal than 'conservative' Christianity.

What the flying fork is 'Liberal Christianity'? or are you talking about less fundamental churches such as the Quakers?
    The is no God

And you know this because?

Like Hobbs said, back things up before you make a statement. I can't see much accuracy in those claims, no offense. And I'm from a Christian background, so I know a bit about it.
    Originally posted by Morrocon Roll

Some denominations do accept gay people... or try to, although they don't tend to be as powerful as the big ass churches like the Roman catholic or Protestant church. The Quakers for example don't even sing hymns, they're apparently very down to earth. And I once met a very friendly Spiritualist gay Christian too.

I actually think it's disgusting that a religion that is supposed to be about love... goes out of its way to discriminate. Why can't everybody get along?
  • Options
    How can you 'back up' that God 'exists'? You cannot. No than I can 'back up' that God does not exist.

And how come you say you're a Christian yet have never heard of Liberal Christianity? :lol:
  • Options
    I didn't say I was a Christian, I'm pagan and come from a Christian background.

And what church is that? the liberal church or a specific denomination?
    How can you 'back up' that God 'exists'? You cannot. No than I can 'back up' that God does not exist.

I didn't say God did exist, but I asked you to back up why he doesn't exist. I mean if you're going to criticise a religion then at least back up what you say and know exactly what you're on about. :rolleyes:

I admit, never looked in to Liberal Christianity. Got a link on it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    which god? the protestant one which says there is no trinity or the catholic one that says there is? the god of the bible says don't be called father ...in a spiritual sense ...don't make religous idols of wood and stone etc ...don't pray to anyone but god through christ ...are you praying to plaster saints and some virgin who had about 6 kids by normal means? which version of god is strong in your family? if there is a god then is the real one in your family or a virtual one created by religion?

The God...Jesus' Father...I am a catholic, i know people who pray to saints for guidance and support and whatnot.

monocrat; there is no god you say, how do you know? did you die and then come back? no you didn't so instead of saying there is no god with no evidence to back it up why don't you just keep your view to yourself or say that you don't believe in God.
  • Options
    :rolleyes:

OK I should have said I don't believe in God. :rolleyes:
  • Options

OK I should have said I don't believe in God. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

Aye. I reckon it's like... I dunno, every religion or set of beliefs has something to offer, be it Christianity, Islam, Budhism or the Godess religion. I mean like certain teachings that could inspire or help somebody.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    but Christians should follow the life of Christ and use his teachings, not God's.

i think it would be a good idea if all these 'christians' ...actualy listened to what the guy kept saying ...
    that you must worship god ...not him not angels. over and over he states this as his case ...all glory etc etc belongs to god and god alone.

how all these christian religions get away with all this nonsense is beyond me. i'm a stoner ...and ex junkie and friggin outlaw and i know more about your jesus than most of you followers!
    you look but you don't see ....hey is that in the bible or did i just have a revelation!
  • Options
    but Christians should follow the life of Christ and use his teachings, not God's.

But according to Christian belief, Jesus IS PART of God!! :lol:
  • Options
    But according to Christian belief, Jesus IS PART of God!! :lol:
    it gets even more confusing ...only the catholics believe that! the rest ot them believe what jesus himself said ...that the father knows things that he didn't ...and the father is greater etc etc ...
  • Options
    Urrrgh... To be honest Christianity is really confusing... it's like one of those mad japanese cartoons that make no sense or that have too many complex twists.

One thing that gets me is "thou shalt not judge"

Is homophobia not judging?
  • Options
    Touched a nerve, huh? :lol:

:)
    na not really
    I thought debate was about presenting your argument backed up by evidence. you just spouted mis-information and rubbish based on a mis-understanding and I really couldn't be bothered to go through your post.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    :)
    na not really
    I thought debate was about presenting your argument backed up by evidence. you just spouted mis-information and rubbish based on a mis-understanding and I really couldn't be bothered to go through your post.

You expect Monocrat to back up what he says? :lol: Yeah, while you're at it maybe we can all hope for a post with more than ten words in it.
  • Options
    perhaps mono is stepping into pnj's place

• Options
    ok so no one answered my original question as to why.
    most religous christians believe the bible to be the word of god.
    the bible clearly states that man on man is bad. so why do gays want to join? it can't be because they believe the bible to be a book of truth ...if it's true then you can't change it. what about all the other christians who want to stick closely to scripture and say that their god has clearly stated that homo is wrongo? why go stealing their religion off them?
    why ...don't all you gay people simply get your own book of truth and start afresh?
  • Options
    one thing always guarenteed to cause a disagrrement is sex and religion. Put em together and you have a bubbling pot of discontent. Kinda funny really.