Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

When to go to A&E.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I am currently really struggling with my mental health but keep getting what feels like the same pointless advice. I get told to either call 999 for an ambulance or get to A&E myself (which are both things I can't atcaly do but no-one understands that).

What I am confused by is am I supposed to call 999/goto A&E when I WANT to harm myself but haven't yet or AFTER I harm myself? I can't see any point in going just for wanting to because thir is then no need to go to A&E for help with any physical injury, and after going to A&E twice last week I know the RAID team won't do antyhing more for me than they did last week. So I dont want to go again unless I have a severe injury that needs stiches or similar. And If I did need stiches I would go to the local Minor Injurys Unit which I am able to get to myself and get it stiched there rather than A&E which I have done before.

So, I really can't work out why I keep getting this 999/A&E advice and nothing elss.

Can anyone advice on what's best to do please?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Amy,

Sorry to hear that you're finding things really hard at the moment. I always say prevention is better than cure.If you really can't cope and you've tried everything to take down the intensity of your urges then I say go. A&E should only be a last resort and if you are going to go tell them want you need whether it be medication or someone to talk to, make it clear so you don't go home feeling frustrated or worse than before because it happened to me and I ended up in A&E the next day.

Take care

Salix
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,309 Part of The Furniture
    Salix alba wrote: »
    Hi Amy,

Sorry to hear that you're finding things really hard at the moment. I always say prevention is better than cure.If you really can't cope and you've tried everything to take down the intensity of your urges then I say go. A&E should only be a last resort and if you are going to go tell them want you need whether it be medication or someone to talk to, make it clear so you don't go home feeling frustrated or worse than before because it happened to me and I ended up in A&E the next day.

Take care

Salix

:yes: Great advice from @Salix alba - particularly the bit in bold.

People tend to advise going to A&E because it is the best place to be if you're at that breaking point with self-harm and might need medical attention, and they usually have to suggest going somewhere that can look after you in the worst case. But I can totally understand why it might feel a bit pointless if you're dealing with urges rather than aftermath. In any case, as Salix said, prevention is good.

One thing I want to add is that A&E isn't a long-term solution. As Salix also said, it should only be a last resort. Are you getting any mid-long term support from elsewhere (counselling, for example)?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    Hello

Firstly thank you for repling. Seccond I am sorry for not coming back sooner, I've had another bad week (including yet another trip to A&E) so have been tired and all messed up from that. I hope it's not too late and that people will still reply.

Salix alba- you say both prevention is better than cure (meaning to go to A&E whenever I want to self harm) but also that A&E should be a last resort (which to me means only go if REALLY needed for example if I feel suicidal). Any chance you could explain what you mean more clearly please?

That next bit of advice that Mike hilighted is a really good idea. However I have issues with communication and so don't get able to talk in the very short (10 minutes) I am seen now. So asking for what I want is very difficult for me and therefore doesnt really happen, I also can't communicate how I feel to them either. But for example when I went this week they just looked at my diagnosis, said admission is not the best way to treat what I have and so I can go. Wasn't even asked how I felt.

I ended up in A&E 2 days in a row last week, so I know that can happen too. What I was told the seccond time is what made me write this thread because of it just beeing suce a very unproductive waste of time.

Mike - I've got a CPN, recently changed to her from an old one and she seems a lot better than my old one but still needs to get to know me better. I'm also currently going through the assessment for DBT, no idea if I will be accepted for it or not yet.

After my A&E visit this week being completely not my choice (yet the Mental Health team seem to be thinking it was) I am now at a stage of completely refusing to go to A&E again. I was trying to do that this week at a Minor injuries but pramedics said they will call police if I don't go with them to A&E. The paramedics also lied, saying that I may be able to get some kind of ememrgency medicine for until I can see a doctor, but I didn't, same with other things the paramedics said might happen but didn't. Don't care if they 'threten' police again, and even if they get called to me I will still refuse to go. So it's just a matter of time before I self harm again, need to go to Minor Injuries then get them trying to send me to A&E again...

Talking about doctor earlier, at my seccond visit last week (which was Thursday 27th July) they said they are faxing the doctor saying I need an urgent change of medication so I don't go to A&E every day. I then spent a few days lieing about how I felt so I didn't end up back there again while waiting for this medicine change. I then found out from my CPN that the doctor is away until next tuesday (8th August) so I know I have to wait until at least then for him to even see the fax. However today I recived an letter with an appointment for 11th Septmeber. Is that "urgent"? NO!! I'm so angry at it all and really can't face another month of having the voices I have now without harming myself when they tell me to. Unfortunatly the way the system works here is you are just sent appointments and if you can't go and have to cancell it's like 2 months until the next availible appointment, so changing the appointment with the doctor will not be possible. Their is also only 1 doctor so I can't just go to another one instead.

I just don't know what to do anymore, all these issues in the system are very triggering to me (I won't explain how in any more detail because I'm not sure if it is allowed or not) so things like waiting for stuff or going to A&E all make me feel worse than I do already! Again another thing no-one listens to me about.
    I'm sory if this ended up too long to read or a bit 'ranty' but I'm angry at a system that can't help me and feeling terrible because of it. Thank you for reading and please suggest anything you can to help in my situation.

Thank you
    Amy

• Options
    Hi Amy

Sorry I wasn't clear in my response, I'll try to summarise briefly :)

What I mean't was that it would be a good idea to go to A&E if:

1)You are suicidal with definite plans to act on them

2)You can no longer withstand the urges to act on self harm in a way that requires medical attention

I have had the BPD diagnosis since 18 (I'm now 21) and when I have been in crisis over a long period of time it has been really difficult to reach baseline on my own so sometimes talking to someone or having short term medication helped until it has passed. I know that going to A&E can be quite frustrating especially when you feel like your concerns are not being taken seriously or that not enough is being done. In terms of what you can do in the mean time, is to put your thought's/feeling/concerns into words (written or verbal) rather than through actions ( I know it's harder said than done) but you've done really well coming here and telling us a bit about whats going on so I know that you can do it.

If that doesn't work, have a shower or a cold drink or even splashing cold water on my face. I know it sounds crazy but showering helps me to take down the intensity of my urges and then from there on I find other things do do and I force myself because A&E is not an option (for me).

I hope that you start to feel better soon Amy, I really do*hug*

Take care,

Salix