Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How to lose weight???

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
Please?! and how to aviod food.
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    (Im NOT asking for anorexia tips) but I just want a happy medium. Im scared im going to keep gaining weight. I'm not happy with my BMI. I dont have the motivation or energy to exercise and need help that would make me lose weight without doing much or at least how to aviod binging just so i dont get overweight. I need to get a lower BMI to feel happy with myself but still have good blood levels.
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Hey Shaunie,

That lower BMI would put you underweight so I don't think it's helpful to tell you ways to avoid food or lose weight as at the moment you are only just at a healthy weight. Perhaps it would be more helpful for you to look at your self esteem and confidence as it sounds like you are feeling unhappy with yourself. Remember that weight is only a number and you won't find happiness via a pair of scales. With exersize it can help your motivation if you can find something you really enjoy whether that is going to the gym or going swimming or taking workout classes or even something like yoga. Even just taking a little walk every day can be a good start.

Take care
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Hiya Shaunie,

I completely understand where you are coming from here. However, the BMI number you mentioned wanting to be at, depending on your height (how tall are you?), would put you at an unhealthy weight. The healthy number for women is between 18.5-25, so you're kinda just in the healthy range there. So as @Jellyelephant said, I really don't think it would be very healthy for you to tell you ways to avoid food or to lose any weight.

Please take care of yourself!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi Shaunie :) how are you?

Diet, food and our bodies can be sometimes a pain to deal with. Have you thought about whats made you feel this way?

I know for me it was because I was struggling to do what most people my age can and I wanted to become what I was told was my ideal weight.

As I'm not a dietrision I can't really help :/. What we need to think of though is how we can be healthier. I actually went to my doctor, well nurse and just said point blank "I don't know how to do it"

We made a list of what my advage diet is in a week and then looked at what changes I could make. E.g instead of having a glass of coke have fizzy water instead or just water is better. Instead of having chips have a baked potato instead and try not to snack as much. But when I need a snack try to make it a healthy one. I do still have the things I like but just in modaration.

I wouldn't say avoid food as that can be quite dangerous you still need to eat and take care of yourself. Just make sure you do it the right way.

Emma
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Thank you all.
    I think I'm relapsing:( I can't even tell anyone because then i probably wouldn't get the DBT and would say therapy obviously doesn't work for you. I know I sound like I really lack intelligence and is pointless. Was basically asking for anorexia tips- sorry. I just have no other coping methods rn. But thank yous :/.
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi hun, I think you did a great job reaching out on here. I'm sure they wouldn't say that therpy doesn't work for you. It would more likely be "lets look at other ways to help you" and look into different techniques. However don't forget that therpy takes time and it's ok to free as if you're not making progress as it does still have it's up and downs.

Do you have any hobbies at the moment to occupy your mind? Please make sure you keep well and don't be afraid to talk about it.
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hey Shaunie,

Like One-in-a-million mentioned, you're doing so well reaching out on here to talk about how you're feeling. We're all here to support you about anything :) You mentioned that you feel you might not get DBT if you tell anyone, like One-in-a-million mentioned, therapy does take time and there will be times when there's ups and downs but therapy is all about that and supporting you to take things at your own pace. :)

At The Mix we promote healthy eating, so it can be important to focus on how to be healthier and like Jellyelephant mentioned, focusing too on confidence and self-esteem. You've mentioned you don't have any coping mechanisms, is there anything you find helps distract you when you're feeling this way?

We're all here for you Shaunie, feel free to keep posting here whenever you like :yippe:
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤